getting a coin properly appraised

whitey9977

Apr 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT propointer (carrot), Garrett ace 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MY detecting partner found an 1830s large cent in a cellar hole a year back and was getting around to sell it someone instantly offered him 250. how can he get it properly appraised or what avenue should he go down to get a legit appraisal. We dont really know the ins and outs of coin detail. Dont have a pic of the coin but can get one if needed. Thanks ahead of time everyone

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wellllll you could check ebay or other coin sites to get a general idea

Jcostin

Aug 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll sell every one I have for $250 each!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first thing to find out for a coin is if there is varieties, and if so, which one you have. If there's not it's as simple as looking at completed ebay sales and making a guess where your coin fits in for grade and condition.

OP
OP
whitey9977

whitey9977

Apr 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT propointer (carrot), Garrett ace 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys we dont really have a trusted coin dealer around us we can count on

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My approach would be a bit different. I've found that getting several coin dealers and collectors in a room all looking at a particular coin is best for you. Ethics and fairness tend to be in the forefront in that situation rather than one on one in a coin dealers shop. I would find the nearest numismatic club in you area and attend their meeting. You might call the acting president and suggest you have some coins you would like a 'professional' to look at. Usually, I've found, they welcome those situations. Condition is everything in a coins value and somewhat subjective. Thats why dealers trust the 2 or 3 major coin grading companies. If a coin is worth a couple of hundred dollars it's worth $25 to have it graded and slabbed. Dealers and clubs get discounts for their coins grading. Might be worth a membership. Just saying.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread