So finally found some gold, can I sell it?

Ams721

Greenie
Apr 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all! So I'm a bit new to panning, I recently started and am enjoying the experience. After several batches IV managed to store a small amount of gold flakes real tiny stuff. Let's say you where able to fill a small vial after sometime, would you even be able to sell gold that is this small? Would the market even consider buying it? These flakes do add up but one flake by itself is so tiny it would seem as if it would crumble!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one flake would have no value, but I'm sure enough Flakes to fill the bottom of a Vial would have Value on Ebay, As a gift idea .
of course vials cost money too.

when it comes to fine gold it really doesn't matter how fine it is.
it's the weight.

and of course proof it's gold.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Selling Gold

Hello all! So I'm a bit new to panning, I recently started and am enjoying the experience. After several batches IV managed to store a small amount of gold flakes real tiny stuff. Let's say you where able to fill a small vial after sometime, would you even be able to sell gold that is this small? Would the market even consider buying it? These flakes do add up but one flake by itself is so tiny it would seem as if it would crumble!

Call somebody who sells the little bags of concentrates, they usually buy flour gold.

camocreek

Mar 20, 2012
MN
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It all adds up, even the tiny specs and flour stuff. If you save it, dry it out and weigh it, everything has a weight, and then you can calculate the value based on the current gold price. Even if it's .001 grams, it has value.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jewelry makers as myself will buy small gold, but it has to be absolutely clean of sand or other impurities. Usually buy in ounce lots, small flour gold and placer.

Mole

Greenie
Apr 2, 2016
Tucson, AZ.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Legacy 3500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can find buyers online that will purchase your ingots. Melt your flour, (or flakes), down into "buttons". That's what I call them because they are just like little round buttons. Weigh each button, send to an online purchaser, and they'll send you the cash. There are little testing kits, ( acids, stone, keys, etc.) so you can determine what karat each button is.
There are a lot of people who do this. DO NOT MELT ANY NUGGETS TEN MESH OR HIGHER! These are worth more, (in nugget form), than the weight of the gold alone to jewelers.
Just do a little research and you can certainly make a few bucks. Of course, you gotta find the gold first! :headbang:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AMS: The amount you speak of would not be worth selling, unless
it was to a jeweler that needed just that tiny amt.

Have you checked out the Gold Prospecting Forum? Great place
to improve you skills, and learn about all manner of gold recovery methods.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can find buyers online that will purchase your ingots. Melt your flour, (or flakes), down into "buttons". That's what I call them because they are just like little round buttons. Weigh each button, send to an online purchaser, and they'll send you the cash. There are little testing kits, ( acids, stone, keys, etc.) so you can determine what karat each button is.
There are a lot of people who do this. DO NOT MELT ANY NUGGETS TEN MESH OR HIGHER! These are worth more, (in nugget form), than the weight of the gold alone to jewelers.
Just do a little research and you can certainly make a few bucks. Of course, you gotta find the gold first! :headbang:

These kits cannot reliably tell the differences between say 21 and 22Kt or 22 and 23Kt, gold must be professionally assayed before selling. Ingots and buttons must be assayed also, I and other consumers of small miner's gold don't like home made ingots or buttons because it is too easy to alloy them to a lower Kt. Many people would rather have clean flour or placer gold as it is found. The OP can certainly sell it on ebay, many small miners do.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most jeweler shops want to buy gold significantly lower than spot price.

You can get a pretty good deal by bartering for store credit if your in the market for buying jewelry.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have a half-ounce, to an ounce of flour gold you can sell it for whatever the price is for 18-22K depending on where it comes in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread