Hypothetical question- treasure removal. Need ideas!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Crap! Here I thought I was replying to a different thread today! :dontknow:

Yep, please ignore my previous post. Can't get an excavator into the area anyway.

Last edited:

red fox bob

Feb 23, 2016
Apollo,Pa
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Garrett Pro Pointer,Custom Made Sand Scoop,Garrett AT Pinpointer, Whites MX Sport , Eqauinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Austin. Is it really worth it?

OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No updates to share thus far, fellas. We have several other sites we are exploring here so this site has been put on the back-burner for now. I'll be sure to check in when we get back.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Do an internet search on Sand Scoops. They have a handle and usally a step to drive it down, but it is just a cylinder with holes in the bottom. Large enough for the sand to filter through and small enough for rings, coins, ect to stay. If you put a weight on the front of the barrel to make sure it Digs into the mud, then you can trench deeper and deeper in the same trough. Use water from the river to clean any left over mud to check the screen. You could lift it up onto like 2X4's and then pour the water in and stir the mud, when the mud is gone, do it once more to see if and coins are there on the bottom.

OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do an internet search on Sand Scoops. They have a handle and usally a step to drive it down, but it is just a cylinder with holes in the bottom. Large enough for the sand to filter through and small enough for rings, coins, ect to stay. If you put a weight on the front of the barrel to make sure it Digs into the mud, then you can trench deeper and deeper in the same trough. Use water from the river to clean any left over mud to check the screen. You could lift it up onto like 2X4's and then pour the water in and stir the mud, when the mud is gone, do it once more to see if and coins are there on the bottom.

With all due respect, are you for real? A sand scoop is your suggestion? :laughing7: In case you are serious, let me reply by saying that I (and 99% of others on here, I presume) are familiar with sand scoops and it will not work. This is a MASSIVE, deep hole full of watery mud (picture a small, inground swimming pool that's at least 8ft deep) that you sink deep into when you enter. I would explain it in more detail (in fact I did earlier in the thread), but it's pretty self-evident that your idea wouldn't work. Thanks anyway, though.

Last edited:

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
To Solve the Problems of the Future...One may look to the Solutions from the Past!

In my Younger Days while exploring the Mexican Yucatan for Cenotes, I learned how Edward Thompson had dredged the Cenote at Chichen Itza.

Cenote.jpg

"Edward Herbert Thompson (September 28, 1857 — May 11, 1935) was an American-born archaeologist and diplomat.
Thompson is most famous for dredging the Cenote Sagrado (Sacred Cenote) from 1904 to 1910, where he recovered artifacts of gold, copper and carved jade, as well as the first-ever examples of what were believed to be pre-Columbian Maya cloth and wooden weapons."

Thompson had constructed a hand operated Dredge to accomplish his excavations!

Cenote-Dredge.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread