My Apologies

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So sorry for your loss -- I too have been there, as I lost my cat, Tom in 2004. He showed up one when I was in high school when I needed a friend, and 15 years later, he passed away at my feet after I stayed up all night with him when he was sick and failing in health due to old age. It was the least I could do for him, as he gave me his entire life. Even though that was almost 12 years ago I still feel the pain. It wasn't until last year that I was able to take in another cat.

The pain doesn't go away, but in time the good memories become more frequent than the feeling of the loss. I'm still around the 50/50 stage of that with the passing of my mother almost 4 years ago.

It does get easier, but it always hurts. However, the pain we feel is because of the loss of a great love and the interaction with it. -- That shows we had something very special and good in our lives.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Man that's tough. Brought a tear to my eye, thinking of mine I lost 17 yrs. ago. They can be your best treasure with out you even knowing it. "Rest in peace Skeeter", and prayers for you and your family.

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HTML:
Loco,
Skeeter lived a good life if he lived for seventeen years as that is a long life for a dog. You must have taken very good care of him. That is one of the saddest and worst days any dog lover can go through as we did it a few times. We are huge dog lovers as we have two retired racing Greyhounds, an English Cocker Spaniel, a Dachshund and a creme colored Lab. We would not trade them for the world! Nothing will replace Skeeter but his quality of life was important and you did the only option you had. We had to put down our Australian Cattle Dog Max and our Chow-Chow Thai but they are with Skeeter now and are playing in a better place.

Rich

ps-remember what Will Rogers said;

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that LD, that is indeed tough. There's people I went to school with for several years and I can tell you a few things about them, maybe in about ten minutes, but I can tell you everything about every dog I ever had and that will take a while.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for your loss Man...

Tho we have always been cat people (I love Dogs too), I have felt that PAIN many times over the years & from many Causes.
Old age is the best way for them to go IMO , even tho you had to "keep Watch" over Skeeter in his last weeks ; I'm sure he truly appreciates it. & You had time to say your god byes .

Crazy We have lived here for 32 years & have a "pet /Animal" cemetery in the back of our Quarter Acre, all of the Remains (Not their Spirits) of our Many Beloved Pets , fish , Birds & a few Squirrels etc , are buried back there.

Other than the ones that have just Disappeared over the years (that's tuff to deal with to).
TMI maybe , I just want you to know how you feel , loosing your best friends.
Glad you had the time you did with him.
God Bless Skeeter

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved family member. Know that sometimes the greatest thing you can do for someone is to let him go. Remember the good times you had and wow, 17 years is a LOT of good times. The black hole of emptiness never goes away, but it will get smaller with time.

Like GI Digger's Will Rogers quote: “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
I'm not religious, but that's me in a nutshell. Hang in there.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry for your loss buddy. I have done it before, makes my eyes water too.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear it. It's almost like losing one of your kids. I got four that are getting up in age. too know it will be hard when that day comes been there a couple of times.:angel2:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Peace be with you Brother. :sadsmiley:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My ole' Black lab, "Mamma Dog" got up today with me (as always) and I thought about ya buddy. She followed me around while I got my coffee, cooked my breakfast, pee'd off the deck, filled the dog bowl with food and the water dish and then helped with the clean up. We watched a little news, surfed T-net and headed out to the new woodshop. She was pissed that someone swept up all the planner shaving into a pile again.... took her about 30 seconds to make it back into a "nice" bed again and within 10 minutes she was snoring loudly.

I know you miss your lost loved one.... but animals are so loyal (as we are)... PLEASE, find yourself a "new" friend but never forget.... :occasion14:

We rescue dogs and have loved, saved, put down and cried over many.... I loved them all as they were so loyal and are.... Brad

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NEVER apologize for doing the right thing

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My ole' Black lab, "Mamma Dog" got up today with me (as always) and I thought about ya buddy. She followed me around while I got my coffee, cooked my breakfast, pee'd off the deck, filled the dog bowl with food and the water dish and then helped with the clean up. We watched a little news, surfed T-net and headed out to the new woodshop. She was pissed that someone swept up all the planner shaving into a pile again.... took her about 30 seconds to make it back into a "nice" bed again and within 10 minutes she was snoring loudly.

I know you miss your lost loved one.... but animals are so loyal (as we are)... PLEASE, find yourself a "new" friend but never forget.... :occasion14:

We rescue dogs and have loved, saved, put down and cried over many.... I loved them all as they were so loyal and are.... Brad

the dog peed off the deck or you?? ( wait I don't want to know)

Tulkas

Mar 3, 2016
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm very sorry for your loss. It's terrible, I know.....

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loco, my deepest sympathies go out to you and your family for Skeeter's crossing. You did the hardest things we can do for our fur-kids, but it was what was best for for him.
When you bring them home, they get into your heart. When they leave us, they take that piece with them. That's why it hurts so much.
Run free Skeeter.

I went through this last month, I miss my little girl every day.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
My heart goes out to you Loco. I have 4 myself and I dread the day that I lose any of them. My eyes got a little watery just reading your post. I'll say a prayer for you and Skeeter tonight. RIP Skeeter.

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very sorry for your loss.prayers for you.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for posting this Loco. Although it's a very tough time, it's good to see the poster's here express there deepest feeling. Just feel's good for a change! Here's too everone's loss:occasion14:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So sorry LD for the passing of your beloved family member.
Gone but never ever forgotten!
I can still tell you the names of all my pets....the kids names I confuse a little.

My personal door greeter, my daughter's chocolate lab, passed 2 years ago.
I can still hear her nails trying to get traction on the wood floor as she raced to be the first to say hello! Sadly missed, but never forgotten.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread