Question about gaining permission...

Nephilim3883

Greenie
Jan 6, 2016
Crestwood, KY
Detector(s) used
Ground EFX MX200E, Gold Digger Land or Sea Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Quicksilver (Backup), Cen-Tech Pinpointer (Modified, Backup)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a couple of people ask some tough questions when I send an email asking permission to detect on their property (been contacting some old churches).

I have run into questions like:

What do you hope to achieve? What will you do with your findings? Places I have worked in the past? References?

I am only doing this as a fun hobby, not a professional retrieval service, even though I do like to conduct the detecting in a professional manner. I am sure some of you have been hit the questions like these, how do you respond?

FYI- I found out about this particular spot from an old newspaper article. There might be a cache of coins buried there. I don't want to say that to the property owner and be told that I can't hunt there. I'd be happy to share what I find 50/50 though.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
"What do you hope to achieve? What will you do with your findings? Places I have worked in the past? References?"
Valid questions - it IS their property, after all. ...And they have no idea if you will be respectful and treat the property AS a professional!

There are FAR too many folks out there that are disrespectful of other people's land; even of public land. As for what you're going to do with what you find, that's probably hinting towards some sort of arrangement. If a church, well, they DO accept donations! :laughing7: If not a church (private property), people don't want someone to come in and take something, even if they don't know it's there. If you find something valuable, it's only fair that the owner get SOMETHING for "LETTING" you dig up the place.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting Screen name..

I have never been good at asking for Permissions.
BUT
I think it's best to do it in person , & offer to sign a waver to not hold the Property owners Liable for Anything (Within Reason).
JMO
Davers

OP
OP
N

Nephilim3883

Greenie
Jan 6, 2016
Crestwood, KY
Detector(s) used
Ground EFX MX200E, Gold Digger Land or Sea Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Quicksilver (Backup), Cen-Tech Pinpointer (Modified, Backup)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"What do you hope to achieve? What will you do with your findings? Places I have worked in the past? References?"
Valid questions - it IS their property, after all. ...And they have no idea if you will be respectful and treat the property AS a professional!

There are FAR too many folks out there that are disrespectful of other people's land; even of public land. As for what you're going to do with what you find, that's probably hinting towards some sort of arrangement. If a church, well, they DO accept donations! :laughing7: If not a church (private property), people don't want someone to come in and take something, even if they don't know it's there. If you find something valuable, it's only fair that the owner get SOMETHING for "LETTING" you dig up the place.

Exactly right. I just started out maybe two months ago, so I don't have any references really except my own church and my local library. I know if it was my property and someone asked, I would be like well I don't want you to tear my yard up.

OP
OP
N

Nephilim3883

Greenie
Jan 6, 2016
Crestwood, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting Screen name..

I have never been good at asking for Permissions.
BUT
I think it's best to do it in person , & offer to sign a waver to not hold the Property owners Liable for Anything (Within Reason).
JMO
Davers

That's my gamer tag, I just use it for most everything to keep things simple.

I found a permission letter on another forum, which you're supposed to mail USPS to the address that you want to get permission to hunt. Includes a liability waiver and self addressed stamped envelope. I haven't gotten that far, so I figure emailing or contacting via Facebook would be the least hassle to the owner. They can get in touch on their time when they have the time.

I have social anxiety and haven't decided to take the leap of knocking on doors yet...

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work in retail and get most of my permissions from customers. Most people will say yes when they have a stake in the game. I always offer the owner of the property any and all jewelry found in exchange for all coins found on the property unless a cache is found. Then its 50/50.

OP
OP
N

Nephilim3883

Greenie
Jan 6, 2016
Crestwood, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work in retail and get most of my permissions from customers. Most people will say yes when they have a stake in the game. I always offer the owner of the property any and all jewelry found in exchange for all coins found on the property unless a cache is found. Then its 50/50.

Yeah i told the guy that i do it for fun and I'd split my findings 50/50. I told him that I put my findings in a personal collection for preservation. The article said that after these two workers found an old envelope hidden in the fireplace, they would come back at night and dig for the coins. This took place over 4 days, and day after day a new hole would appear. Then, one of the workers never showed up again. So I am guessing he either found the cache, OR was too scared to come back to work because they were black workers back in the early 1900's in Kentucky, so you can use your imagination how that scenario would've played out...

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find that honesty works best if you want to gain a land owners trust, and if at all possible always ask in person because it will be harder for them to say no.
If it's relics you seek then it's always good if you have done a little research and sound knowledgeable about the history of the place you want to dig.
If you hunt coins, be honest about it, but emphasize that you won't leave any trash or holes behind for them to hit with their lawnmower.
If they want to know what you do with your finds, tell them you are just into collecting the stuff to look at in a curio cabinet or something (not for profit).
I always like to tell folks that it's only a career if you are ok with making $1/hour digging holes. It's just more fun than going to the gym.
If hunting a church and anyone asks, tell them Jesus gave you permission.

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you hope to achieve? What will you do with your findings?

Show them some of the old coins you've found and tell them that's your main hobby. Bring crusty large cents and well worn silver coins. They'll see they're not worth a lot of money and they'll let you keep everything.

You can also show them finds that are cool to you, but boring to them. Flat buttons, musket balls, bells, ox knobs and so on. They won't want to split the finds if that's all they think you're after.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always offer the owner of the property any and all jewelry found in exchange for all coins found on the property unless a cache is found

Exactly what I do as well. They can have any Sterling silver jewelry I find. I'd rather have the coins. I also tell them we'll split the take if I find any gold jewelry, but warn them that I probably won't find any gold.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have social anxiety and haven't decided to take the leap of knocking on doors yet

I'm a loner, so it's very hard for me to knock on doors. But I will approach someone if they're working in their yard. My problem is that I'm, 6'3", 200 pounds and look like a serial killer! Most people back away when they see me approaching them! LOL! Much easier for pretty boys and attractive women to get permissions! It's a lot tougher when you look like one of the guys on "Duck Dynasty"!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My advice....peel back on the emails and formal letters...
Focus your permission requests in person on places that have little potential, so that you gain confidence, achieve referrals, and have little to lose if they say no...
Read and research previous threads on this subject....you'll find lots of ideas from guys like us....

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totally agree with Dave, e-mail is a faceless impersonal approach to modern communication and I think you will get more permissions by going up to people in person and asking. I live on a property that is 150 years old and if I got an e-mail from somebody I don't know asking permission I would erase it and put the sender in my spam or junk box. Now if you came to my door and asked I'd tell you I had hunted here with several different machines over the years but if you had one I have never tried, say a Deus, I'd let you have a go just to see if it would find something I missed.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trust me .. I know Social Anxiety.

I tried to Detect only places where no-body could see me in the first few years of Detecting.

I still find it VERY Hard to Door Knock.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would advise against the e-mail route. Any time I get mail from someone unknown to me or no subject in the box, I trash it immediately. Usually my spam filter catches all of this, but sometimes spam makes it to my inbox.
It sounds like you have a hard time talking with folks, but I'm with the above posters. Door knocking is the best method!!:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread