Please can someone help me!?

CaliGal

Jun 10, 2016
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Red Baron RB-7 (inherited from my Gramps, never used) Parents used to take us out detecting in mid-1970's--fun times! Caught the bug early, reignited here in OK.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Former County bureacrat here. Some tips on searching a city's regulations. (I worked in So Cal, may be slight differences in Canada, but hopefully this info will be helpful to you or someone....) There are generally TWO kinds of rules governing cities (which are incorporated entities with specific defined borders) and counties (which govern a larger area in which cities may also be located within; county laws/regs only apply OUTSIDE of incorporated cities on NON Federal or other public agency land.) You need to check for both the city's ORDINANCES (which may or may not be codified into it's MUNICIPAL CODE) and you need to check for any specific RESOLUTIONS, which adopt specific things by "decree" of the elected officials, essentially.

The ORDINANCES -- which tend to have a number & descriptive title -- often govern things like adopting building codes, parking regs, fire codes, and a wide number of specific issues germaine to the locale. (Implementing seismic standards, prohibiting the sale of green corn, regulating crowing fowl, setting dumping fees, noise limits, body-disposal charges, you name it! And, btw, setting USAGE & ZONING standards and maps.) There may be one specifically addressing "Regulating the use of metal detectors on city property," but most likely there won't be. I know County of Riverside, CA, where I worked (& which is the size of Connecticutt) did not address metal detecting at all. You may also check on ordinances addressing "use of city parks" or other such titles. A city or county nearly always has a master list of their ordinances online nowadays, with titles that are at least mildly descriptive. You may also encounter these in the form of "Municipal Codes," which are basically the same as ordinances, but codified into one "book" so to speak. They tend to be a wee bit harder to search because they may not have a proper index with full titles. But, still, Google should pick them up IF they are online.

Ok, SECOND type of legal rules are STATUTES and things adopted by RESOLUTION. Statutes are always codified into books after adoption, they direct the city or county agencies in establishing REGULATIONS. Specifically, STATUTES are adopted by elected officials (i.e., legislators); REGULATIONS are enacted by public agencies given the authority to do so BY the legislators. They often expand upon & flesh out specifics of the basic statutes enacted. That is, the Legislators will pass a law (statute) outlining a issue of concern for the state or county and directing X agency of the state or county to formulate REGULATIONS that accomplish x, y and z objectives. In this way, the lawmakers (elected officials) establish the need and purpose for a set of rules, but allow the subject expert (e.g., a Dept. of Water Resources, the Natural Resources Agency, the U.S. Bureau of Land Management even) to formulate the specific details using their expertise. Get it?

Well, hope this proves helpful to some one.... I spent 20+ years learning to speak "bureaucratese" and wanted to share some of my hard-won knowledge! lol At any rate, Google rules!!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
........Well, hope this proves helpful to some one.... I spent 20+ years learning to speak "bureaucratese" and wanted to share some of my hard-won knowledge! lol At any rate, Google rules!!!

Cali-Gal, very interesting. Thanx for typing all that out.

Followup questions for you: Re: the level of code, or ordinance, or law, or rule, or resolution, or statute, or regulation, incorporated vs non-in-corporated, etc... For sake of argument, assuming we should be adhering to any mandate level given in them:

a) Do you say that the text of any type of the above, can be looked up by an individual John Q. Public ? I mean, are they available to the public somewhere , in printed form ? As in, there are no "secret laws" that you or I can't avail ourselves of somehow, and read for ourselves. Right ? Whether on-line, or in binder form down at city hall, etc... Right ?

b) What is your opinion on "catch-all" grey verbage? You know, like "alter", "deface", "remove", "harvest", etc... Do we automatically assume they apply to us? Till told otherwise by getting someone's blessing to the contrary ? Or do we just go. And .... if someone has an issue, they're welcome to tell you ? Because such verbage is pretty much boiler plate everywhere. Yet obviously md'ing goes on in those places.

OP
OP
V

Volodymyr4868

Apr 14, 2016
Guelph, ON, Canada
Detector(s) used
Discovery 2200, Spectra V3i, DRS Ground Exper Pro, back to Outbound best overall sadly!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello guys! I am up to $7,56 and have some weird stuff I am not sure about like an ancient nail? a fishhook? an old wrench? a big piece of farm machine? and an old buckle? Any of these things have any worth. The only 1 I found out about so far is a wrench thing and if in perfect condition would be worth $2 if you get a good buy. I know these things are probably junk but better safe than sorry. Vlad Photo on 2016-07-01 at 6.00 PM.jpg Photo on 2016-06-22 at 12.20 PM.jpg

zombie

Aug 30, 2016
Guelph, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Bounty Hunter DISCOVERY 1100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just joined and also live in Guelph, are you still active? I'm new to this and would be interested in comparing notes and such.

OP
OP
V

Volodymyr4868

Apr 14, 2016
Guelph, ON, Canada
Detector(s) used
Discovery 2200, Spectra V3i, DRS Ground Exper Pro, back to Outbound best overall sadly!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I am still active? Are you still active? Sorry for such a late reply. Did not see your message until today. Reply back please!

Vlad

OP
OP
V

Volodymyr4868

Apr 14, 2016
Guelph, ON, Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I FOUND 1857 1/2 penny!A picture is attached.It seems to be pinched. Could someone explain why? Is it worthy of this website's banner finds??

Let me know!
Vlad
Photo on 2017-07-02 at 8.08 AM.jpg
Photo on 2017-07-02 at 8.09 AM.jpg

OP
OP
V

Volodymyr4868

Apr 14, 2016
Guelph, ON, Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for duplicates. Couldn't seem to find a way to fix it at first. The message is OK now. Looking forward to your reply!

Vlad

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody was bored and took their frustrations out on the coin.

OP
OP
V

Volodymyr4868

Apr 14, 2016
Guelph, ON, Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys! I found 1912 barber dime and 1899 Indian head penny along with my 1857 Canadian 1/2 penny. I also found close to $40 in loose change.There were other odds and ands but I donated all to kids around here. All in all not a terrible season. Is this button worth anything? 20171022_132514.jpg

OP
OP
V

Volodymyr4868

Apr 14, 2016
Guelph, ON, Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To clarify I donated odds and ends and not everything. Also I found an ax head and my friend found a horseshoe. Sold 1912 barber dime 1857 1/2 penny and 1899 penny to a friend for $15 to make him a favour.

V

OP
OP
V

Volodymyr4868

Apr 14, 2016
Guelph, ON, Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please use this page to upload your found buttons. Also does anyone know a good website for evaluating old relics like buttons horsehoes axeheads etc.?

V

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best of luck on your Hunting in town/s with the International Metal detecting forum you are a part of, WE Members can write you some letters of acceptance if needed, I would.

OP
OP
V

Volodymyr4868

Apr 14, 2016
Guelph, ON, Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also guys was wondering about coin cleaning. Like I know it's bad in general but the other day when I found 1899 Indian head penny it was just a total green disk. What was the best thing to do with it. I don't have much money to pay for a professionals like Andre's pencils to do it for me but I also don't want to damage a coin.
V

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also guys was wondering about coin cleaning. Like I know it's bad in general but the other day when I found 1899 Indian head penny it was just a total green disk. What was the best thing to do with it. I don't have much money to pay for a professionals like Andre's pencils to do it for me but I also don't want to damage a coin.
V

Coin cleaning...hmmm, that can and will always be a touchy subject around here. Some simply blow on their dug coin(s) and file them away, while others spend lots of time cleaning, detailing etc...what really gets me is...while I don't give a hoot what other ppl do with their coins, the thing I have issue with, is the ppl who will tar and feather someone for cleaning coins, especially silver. I found it, I worked hard researching this site, I got the permission and I dug it! So PLZ don't tell ME what to do with it. I admit, if I saw someone posting a 1916d Mercury dime they'd dug, and they cleaned it in ANY WAY, I'd probably poo down my leg, but i wouldn't chastise them or call them out publicly, which others are quick to do. If you think you found something valuable, post it here and we'll be happy to chime in. Good luck, happy hunting, Ddf.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread