Buying or Trading used detectors -- -time and money (can be wasted)

rljehart

Aug 25, 2005
For a lot of fellow THers like myself --its always been "the nature of the hobby" to try differant detectors -- if you have the cash to try the "latest and greatest" new machine thats fine but most buy used or trade for used --to save bucks and not have the "cash loss" differance when selling or trading in the new detector you bought -----------i dont trade or buy as much as i use to = i narrow down a certain detector --borrowing or going to a local dealer or at least watching some videos of Thers using machines and i found this is the best way without shelling out the cash - i can consider buying or not --- but recently i again i didnt go with my gut and i was in the market for a couple of Tesoro Cortes (for my 21 year old son and i ) The Cortes i owned one a few years ago and i alway like its performance --very familier with .but no more -learned my lesson -should have bought one NEW machine with warranty -my son could come and borrow it
I bought both Cortes both within a few days === one from a fellow who said he hadnt used it much but it had been used and said he bought it from a (well known ) dealer used --he said from what he could tell it worked great --(done a search and seen where he bought from the dealer)-- within a few minutes after hunting with it --i could tell it was not right ---i didnt make a stink about it with the seller i just took the hit and paid Tesoro 90 bucks for repairs ---Rusty Henry "heavy worn Cortes"the electronics had been messed with ==all the trimmers had been fiddled with and the machine had corrison --wiring replaced ---the pics when i looked at from the buying looked ok---but as in the past Pics can be deceiving + or - -------------then 2nd one i bought around the same time - i bought from a differant well respected dealer --"good shape" sight unseen (i will not do that again ) and worked like it should --after recieving it i was not expecting a mint detector by not means -it was well used as i suspected and the 8 x9 coil was in the dead giveaway of an heavily used machine -old yellow deep gouges and after using a few minutes it had a intermediate short every 10 minutes or so detecting as in the case with the 1st detector target id was way off , erractic performance -- i just called the dealer and he gladly is taking it back -he said this makes the 2nd Tesoro he had traded in== recently that didnt work right --both detectors i paid what i consider top dollar about 40% off the sale price of a 729 new Cortes -- which would be "fine" if it worked correctly -------
*your out shipping cost + insurance ---count on at least 25 bucks--
*you cant tell when a detector is going to flake out on you --when a traded for a Tesoro Royal Sabre --worked fine -then after 2 hours of hunting -it just started erractic loud noise-the guy swears it was OK and it polished up good -it was my choice - -off to Tesoro 50 bucks + shipping --2 capacitors and tune up --also out gas money and time to go to Dallas to do the trade
*Tesoro has quick turnaround and excellant service --but some MFGs can take weeks
*i am going to stay away from old vintage machines --especially ones that are out of business =leave them to the collectors -- Keith Wills may or may not be able to fix--he is the only respected fellow i would trust repairing detectors that cant be factory serviced --
* As with the Cortes --i am staying away from machines that can be easliy opened up -fixed Ground Balance /Target ID -on most Tesoro's 4 screens and a small allen wrench and your in (old Discovery Treasue Barons , some Minelabs)--usually trying to ground balance or tweak performance -- hoping they get "the right trimmer" -- there is plenty of info on the the forums with fellows farting around with trimmers -- what usually happens is they have to send it off to the MFG or KW to get it right or --most likely try get the trimmers back the the orginal settings as close as they can --performance suffers but good enough in the short run to trade it to a dealer or ditch it to a fellow Thers----most dealers i suspect only air test and give the detectors quick run thru on the menus to see if its sellable -of course the will give you a short warranty or return policy of some sort
i remember a former dealer Ronnie Dugger (Dixie metal detectors of Missisippi ) said he got burned on so many defective detector trades he finally had to make a policy to have the seller keep a Credit Card number --for repair cost
* i wouldnt buy or trade for again any used machine -for the forums, in person , Craiglist , Ebay etc -no matter mint , demo or heavily worn unless it has been serviced with a recent ticket or has --for sure remaining MFG warranty -- some MFG you have to have the orginal reciept (First Texas)
* i kinda suspect that about 20% (most likely much higher) of the used detectors for sale or trade either knowingly or innocent have some needed repair --that about what my luck has been when i done the math
* i realize a dealer its a business and they have to make money when taking in a used machine for trade and most have a great reputation -- but i also suspect some guys (that are not dealers ) still lingering on the forums to trade to make money by buying and trading for used machines --low balling, polish up , doing "repairs: to make a few bucks -

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, 2005! Now that is an old rant! What made you edit it today? :skullflag:

OP
OP
R

rljehart

Aug 25, 2005
Well this post was done today - i became a member in 2005 -- rant was getting burned on "polished" used detectors being sold on the forums

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well this post was done today - i became a member in 2005 -- rant was getting burned on " polished" used detectors being sold on the forums

Sorry rljehart! I'm on drugs. Yes, you must know the seller's history on the forum. I have asked members I don't know to send me the machine to inspect. When I find them as advertised THEN I send the dough. If the member has been around a long time and I can trust their reputation then I'll send out a check right away - no worries.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're not a charter member. I'm assuming the actual devices in question weren't purchased from this forum... " polished"... Made me laugh. :)

You only have to be charter to SELL. Anybody can buy from a charter seller. Plus, he didn't say he bought it from THIS forum.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought over 10 used detectors off the forums saved thousands off cost of new and not one had any problem issues when I received them, all worked perfectly..

OP
OP
R

rljehart

Aug 25, 2005
Well i had several trades and buying deals that went just fine -most will go fine and i have saved bucks also -- i am 60 years old --i just dont want to go thru the hassle anymore of having to chance of negative deal -- time to go conservative and stop the wheeling and dealing i guess the moral to the situation is to do trades/buying like Terry Soloman does = make it a process

Last edited:

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Original Poster

Please write in sentences- then after every few sentences hit return a couple of times. Now you have a paragraph.

Now I can read your post withought getting a headache.

There's a reason your English teacher tried to explain all this.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have bought and sold used detectors and have only had one issue. I won't sell a lemon either. However I have been around enough to have seen the shysters out there. That is why forums have rules in place to TRY to protect their members. However, some do slip through the cracks. Some forums you need so many posts. Some you need a membership others let you post one machine every so many days and you also have to be a member for so long.

Yes there are crooks out there and find ways to circumvent the safeguards in place. That is the nature of the internet or classifieds anywhere. BUT, one thing is you are only out money. Others use the internet to prey on vulnerable people and some lose their life. Money is replaceable.

OP
OP
R

rljehart

Aug 25, 2005
Well my post got longer than i intended --on my I phone looks like i wrote "library of congress" On my home computer -really looks OK -i liked my atasterisk bullet points; could have use more proper grammar --paragraphs , prepositional phrases: adjective phrases, suborbinate clauses , i will diagram my sentences also --- math is my forte anyway
Original Poste

Please write in sentences- then after every few sentences hit return a couple of times. Now you have a paragraph.

Now I can read your post withought getting a headache. with out

There's a reason your English teacher tried to explain all this.

Last edited:

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey rl -

Sorry about my comment about the English teacher - you obviously paid attention.

What you wrote is fine - how it ended up as a big blob on the page is what makes it hard to read. Heck, the Romans didn't space between words or have punctuation, just a stream of letters. Nobody could sight read a text, they had to deconstruct the thing to find the words.

There is actually a pretty good reason to physically seperate different parts of a text and the reason is to better shape your discourse to transmit your meaning to the reader.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please remember we do not have grammar police here...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread