garret ace 250 arrives

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
Seems to be a nice machine for all I know. Not much to compare it to being a newbie. Only gripe is it gives the same tone for jewelry as a nickel and in the trashy range ??? I guess the moral of that story is dig all nickels. After some bench testing I figured out how to eliminate a lot of trash but today's hunt will start to give me a better idea.

I beach hunt so it may not have been the best choice for me but my sand is a hundred percent quarts and I have found raising sensitiveity pretty high does not present a significant problem. One coin target in was seven inches; not bad. 212.56 to go and machine has payed for itself ;D. Obviously a coin oriented machine but good enough to get me started.

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
Murph...
You will love the ACE. There IS a tone difference for a nickel, but you haven't had the ACE long enough to identify it yet. It is a little longer tone than the trash signal.
When I first got my ACE, I NEVER found nickels (but the ace is a dime magnet!). Someone explained the tone to me and I figured it out when I really concentrated.

It will take you several weeks to really get all the tones down pat. I also do some beach detecting and even though you need to stay away from the wet sand, you do get a greater depth in sand than in dirt. That may be normal with all machines since sand is a looser material. Have fun!

OP
OP
M

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
Managed an hour on the beach before work and so far so good. I have eliminated everything in the trash range except for nickels. Did some "sand testing" with targets I brought with me and buried myself. Seems pretty straight forward. Anything of value, jewelry coins gives a distinct consistent tone. In the higher coin range its unmistable and pretty much a no brainer. The only trash that seems to fool this detector is fragments of cans and higher end/thicker foil like you would find candy wrapped in. I am not to worried about ending up digging a lot of trash targets at this point.

Got off work early and tried again and made my first real finds. Quarter and penny found in 4 to 6 inches, and wet sand. One thing I have found necessary is to bring down the sensitivity when attempting to use pin pointer but that's not a major concern for me either as the sand digging is not to labour intensive. On the other hand I am having no problems at all running at high sensitivity for general hunting which I assume is due to the low mineral content of the sand I am hunting.

I am on the west coast of Florida and am praying that our afternoon thunderstorm pattern starts up soon. This serves wonderfully to cool things off and drive the tourist off the beach and gives me a few hours at dusk after the rain to search the public beaches for there losses.

So far no buyers remorse at all and given the type of sand I am hunting it may even turn out to be a good beach detector.

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
Sounds like you are taking the time to learn your machine. It took me about a month of weekends to feel like I had it down pretty good.

I still dig trash because I cannot tell the difference in jewelry and trash mode. I have only found a few pieces of jewelry so far. Typically I hunt schools and tot lots but am going to hit the beach more regularly now that the tourists are here.

OP
OP
M

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
All jewelry I have bench tested comes up as a nickel. What I have done is use the discriminator to toggle through and eliminate all but the coin tones. Hopefully this is not a mistake as far as finding jewelry is concerned. Maybe someone with some more experience can chime in here. If I am iffy on any target I just change modes over the particular target to see what they say. Hopefully I have not taken my trash exclusion to the point of missing good targets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread