Dont be That Guy; protect what is yours

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't be That Guy; protect what is yours

I have a friend who had a good WV firearm collection (massive), having inherited several valuable and rare firearms from his family members. One break-in later he had nothing. Many of us work hard to acquire other forms of treasure. I had put off the acquisition of a safe until today....found this one used, for $1500.00, 45 c.f., and double fireproofed. Two strong, knowledgeable men loaded and delivered the safe using my utility trailer....smooth as silk!

Please don't put this purchase off for sometime in the future. My friend waited 1 day too long! liberty safe 45.jpg

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
What "would" be funny (if it weren't so sad) is, I have a neighbor that bought a gun safe soon after hooking up with this woman and her 2 young sons. Instead of keeping the safe closed/locked, they just leave the guns AND ammo in the thing right in the Living Room!

...I "do" hope there are brighter people than my neighbor out there!

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are so correct chirper97. My brother had his door kicked in and his guns and a small fire safe stolen. The police did contact him a couple of years later to let him know they had found his Ruger 44 Mag Blackhawk outside of a bar...he got it back fully loaded. The one he misses the most was a 12 ga that he got as a Christmas gift from our Mom and Dad when he was 16. He now has a huge safe in his basement. I can't imagine kicking in someones door to steal stuff...they will kick in the wrong door sometime and be on the wrong end of someones gun.

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a big fan of the DVR based home security camera systems. I have one set up at home now. It has 4 cams that cover the exterior perimeter of my house and records any motion to the hard drive. I can go back in and look at anything that has moved around my house for the past months, it's great. Also have it set up to monitor remotely, so I can see what is happening from my work computer or my phone. Night vision via infrared lighting works exceptionally well. Aside from the security aspect it's also nice to see when the mail lady pulls up the drive to bring a package. Cameras keep people honest. If the red night vision LEDs don't scare an intruder off I'm still prepared for that kick to the door, and when the cops arrive I can show them exactly what took place with the click of a button.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would not be a bad idea to bolt that safe down, 3 fully loaded gun safes were stolen a few years back here in town.

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a big fan of the DVR based home security camera systems. I have one set up at home now. It has 4 cams that cover the exterior perimeter of my house and records any motion to the hard drive. I can go back in and look at anything that has moved around my house for the past months, it's great. Also have it set up to monitor remotely, so I can see what is happening from my work computer or my phone. Night vision via infrared lighting works exceptionally well. Aside from the security aspect it's also nice to see when the mail lady pulls up the drive to bring a package. Cameras keep people honest. If the red night vision LEDs don't scare an intruder off I'm still prepared for that kick to the door, and when the cops arrive I can show them exactly what took place with the click of a button.

I've got 9 cameras outside and 4 inside..every foot of my large property is covered. Also have aslarm system that can monitor 99 zones and will auto call me if alarm goes off.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I met my burglar as I slowed to pull into my driveway and he was wheeling my stuff (in my suitcase) down the road. He had scaled a screen porch, cut the screens, and broken out the window on a locked door to get in. It was terrifying to think of that had I arrived home just a few minutes earlier I would have met him in the drive or house. As it was he dropped most of what he was carrying, including my computer cpu and took off running. I lost all my jewelry and DVD player but that was pretty much it.

So, get a security system, get a safe and don't leave anything of value in the master bedroom, since this is where they usually start looking. Kitchen, basement, laundry room are better hiding spots but if they have time they will hit those too

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I had a friend years ago that put a safe in his kitchen. It was made to look like his dishwasher.
Guns should always be locked up. Mine are in a safe as well.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry to hear about what happened to your friend. Good to get one that bolts to the floor too

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I had a friend years ago that put a safe in his kitchen. It was made to look like his dishwasher.
Guns should always be locked up. Mine are in a safe as well.

Guns should be locked up? So if you are victim to a home invasion, you can ask the intruder to allow you to open your safe? I have my pistol readily available but out of site. It is fully loaded and I won't hesitate to use it. I agree if you have numerous guns to have most of them locked up and unloaded. However, I will have one ready for any situation and hope I will be able to use it.

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guns should be locked up? So if you are victim to a home invasion, you can ask the intruder to allow you to open your safe? I have my pistol readily available but out of site. It is fully loaded and I won't hesitate to use it. I agree if you have numerous guns to have most of them locked up and unloaded. However, I will have one ready for any situation and hope I will be able to use it.

You won't get any disagreement here.

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
If they want it they will get it. And sometimes what they take boggles the mind.
Case in point. I went out this morning to pick up the paper, and see the driver's door open on my pick up.
Center console and glove box contents scattered through out the interior and out on the ground.

What did they take? My GPS, and my ratty old work jacket and a pair of work gloves. They left the brand new battery jump pack.

Figure they'll pawn the GPS, but what the heck would they want with a welding splattered/holed, stained jacket and a pair of old work gloves?

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dr. Syn is right, if they want it, they will get it. Your goal is to make it more difficult for them, as the more time spent on a burglary, the more chance of getting caught. Another thing, keep in mind the old sayin, '3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead'. In other words, don't be broadcasting for all the world to hear all the cool things you got at home. I have seen pics posted on social media of folks valuable possessions, then they turn around and post exactly when they'll be leaving on vacation. With minute to minute updates of their location. I don't have much worth anything here at the house, but I'm proud of what I do have, and you will never see any info on social media from me until AFTER I have returned from some trip out of town.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in college my basement door was kicked in while I was gone for the weekend and they stole 142 bucks worth of good booze, some DVDs and vandalized various things in the house but thankfully they ignored the 8-10k in coins and silver I had sitting open on a shelf, including grandpa's 1955 ddo cent. Definitely learned the lesson and keep the good stuff well hidden now. The coins too...:laughing7:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many treasure hunters, and coin collectors keep their coins and jewel not in safes, but else where. The best place for these items is in Bank safety boxes. The problems with safes is no matter how much they cost. If the crooks put a gun to your head, you have no choice but to open the safes. Great ideas with alarms and cameras. Good luck and good hunting.

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many treasure hunters, and coin collectors keep their coins and jewel not in safes, but else where. The best place for these items is in Bank safety boxes. The problems with safes is no matter how much they cost. If the crooks put a gun to your head, you have no choice but to open the safes. Great ideas with alarms and cameras. Good luck and good hunting.

But even banks have their own issues...... Greeks Can?t Tap Cash, Gold, Silver In Bank Safety Deposit Boxes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread