Big Lots Stores has just got cheap priced detectors just in !

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Spitfire Reddie said:
I don't know if big lots stores have the same thing all around the country but they just got some Bounty Hunter metal detectors in for around 45.00 !! These will get gone fast so better go get them while you can ! Great as a back up !

Which one is it Reddie?!?! ??? ???

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
don't want to speak for ALL BH models, but so far mine has just been a trash detector. I am actually putting off a site for a week so I can hit it with my ace rather than that darn BH.

P.S. Mine is the quick silver model.

OP
OP
Spitfire Reddie

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
captain Jack said:
don't want to speak for ALL BH models, but so far mine has just been a trash detector. I am actually putting off a site for a week so I can hit it with my ace rather than that darn BH.

Thats the locations fault not the BH ::) ;) .I have one and its works great.LOCATION , LOCATION , LOCATION is the word for today..find one thats not been over run with wineos and druggies over the years.A nice woodsy location in the country..........

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
well I will say that now that I have learned a little about ground balance, and know that the GB on my BH wasn't adjustable, location may very well be the issue. Especially since I am in Va and the dirt is "bad". Or so I hear.

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
I had the time ranger last year and was so mad when i took it beach detecting, The people at metaldetecting.com said it would work great on the beach,Well they made there sale and the person i resold it to got a great deal on a brand new detector.

Alot of people like bounty hunter detectors and i can understand the reason due to the low cost,Walmart is selling one under 100 dollars in Alabama, Maybe i should have given mine more of a chance, I sold it and bought a minelab and have had alot of great detecting.

Bounty hunter is good for someone starting out that does not want to spend alot of money, Also the perfect detector for kid's wanting to learn the hobby, It just seem's that spending around 50 dollars on a cheap detector is a waste of time and money, There has to be alot of targets that you walk over and never realize.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
captain Jack said:
well I will say that now that I have learned a little about ground balance, and know that the GB on my BH wasn't adjustable, location may very well be the issue. Especially since I am in Va and the dirt is "bad". Or so I hear.

The ACE does not have adjustable ground balance either... :'(

I have a BH 3300 that I use at schools for coin shooting if I'm bored. It has ground balance and works great except at schools with those big AC units that kick on and cause interference.... Oh well.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
captain Jack said:

I agree!!!!!!

OP
OP
Spitfire Reddie

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Come on now lets not bash a detector because its cheaper than others......its not fair to people who use them.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Reddie, I use an Explorer also, but I also think there is a place for every detector. Like I've said, I use a BH for coinshooting, and it is pretty great for that! ;D

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
cryptodave said:
Reddie, I use an Explorer also, but I also think there is a place for every detector. Like I've said, I use a BH for coinshooting, and it is pretty great for that! ;D

Funny, I never found a single coin that wasn't on the surface with mine. (even when I put one there!) I get what you're saying about the ace not having adjustable GB either, but the fact that it has such good reviews and I couldn't even find a review on the quicksilver says something to me.

BTW reddie, I wouldn't want to discourage or bash people that do have BHs at all, don't get me wrong. But on the other hand, I think someone starting out as I did with a BH is likely to get discouraged and quit the hobby if they only find trash and nothing good. I guess it's like they say, can't live with it, can't shoot it. :)

Cheers to whatever gets the job done!

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
captain Jack said:
cryptodave said:

Funny, I never found a single coin that wasn't on the surface with mine. (even when I put one there!) I get what you're saying about the ace not having adjustable GB either, but the fact that it has such good reviews and I couldn't even find a review on the quicksilver says something to me.

BTW reddie, I wouldn't want to discourage or bash people that do have BHs at all, don't get me wrong. But on the other hand, I think someone starting out as I did with a BH is likely to get discouraged and quit the hobby if they only find trash and nothing good. I guess it's like they say, can't live with it, can't shoot it. :)

Cheers to whatever gets the job done!

Jack, I have no experience with the quicksilver... It looks like a Walmart special to be honest. The only reason I mentioned that the ACE does not have a GB is because I bought one and sold it off almost immediately because it just didn't work where I wanted it to work. thats not a knock, because it appears to be a solid machine and I know several people from the Pipsico hunt that use them, its just not my thing.

OP
OP
Spitfire Reddie

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
I am not ashamed to admit i use a BH Time Ranger and it works excellent for me via all my posts of my finds ! ;D Every BH is not crap but some are, but on the other hand some other brands have crappy detectors too ! ;) ;D .

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same with me..i had a radio shack and a bounty hunter when i started.And almost gave up.
The person that got me into detecting had a top line detector of the time and as soon as i used it and started finding more and deeper coins i switched.
I have said it before if the detector you use works for you than that is great...enjoy and have fun....

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
teverly said:
Same with me..i had a radio shack and a bounty hunter when i started.And almost gave up.
The person that got me into detecting had a top line detector of the time and as soon as i used it and started finding more and deeper coins i switched.
I have said it before if the detector you use works for you than that is great...enjoy and have fun....
I second that...as long as you're having fun it really doesn't matter!

But I used my ace today....I LOVE the pinpoint feature and the depth indicator. Now I can get the hole I need with a bulb hole digger instead of using a big spade and digging half way to china. I think I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this one!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions