Upshur, Wv .. Looking for Hunting Partner

Apr 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
Wish I could afford one, but I can't so I use my tongue
Primary Interest:
Other
My search area is pretty limited to Indian Camp (and surrounding areas) in Upshur County, Wv. .... I was born and raised in this area, so I know it well and I know most of the locals. I am searching for a fabled Indian Silver Mine, and or whatever else may be found along the way (Ive found arrow heads, old moccasins, etc.). ...... There are way too many indications (and PROOFS we can talk about later) to indicate that this Silver Mine is real. .... I have even found indication that the Silver Mine I am chasing may have been linked to the fabled Jonathan Swift. if you search for Swift's Silver Mine by McWhorter you will see the same indication. CAN ANYONE FIND A JONATHAN SWIFT JOURNAL DESCRIBING INDIAN CAMP WV.? .... (by the way of reading the McWhorter paper I should also note that I am fairly familiar with most of the key points of interest described .. stone coal creek, most of the spear head pointer rocks, Indian Camp, Ash Camp, parts and points of the old Indian War Path, etc).
....... ANYONE have a metal detector in this area.? I would love to search out some of these said buried hidden caches as well. .... I hear tell through a friend that the money hidden in the rock house over the hill has been collected ... but there are many more caches to search for ...... and BEST OF ALL .. if you're a camper there is a place nearby (literally, over the hill) to camp for free, now owned by the state BEANS MILL/INDIAN CAMP is a wonderful place to be during the summer time.
----------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------
Swift's Silver Mine
By McWhorter

From BORDER SETTLERS OF
NORTHWESTERN VIRGINIA.

Indian Camp, located on Indian CampRun, 14 miles from Buckhannon.
About Indian Camp here hovers an interesting tradition of a "Lost Mine" and buried treasure of fabulous riches. Its original antedates the Revolution, with some apparent foundation of truth; although this region is not alone in its claim to the scene of original operations; but covers portions of Kentucky and Tennessee as well. The mine was worked by a party of Spanish and English adventurers, who were subsequently nearly exterminated by their Indian allies. It appears that they were Spaniards by the name of Petro, or Pedro, on the Upper Monongahela as early as 1777, whose descendants are still living in Randolph Co. Nothing is known of their previous history. Their presence in the settlements may, perhaps, be traced in the tradition. There were Petros in Hampshire Co., VA, in 1782, if not earlier. It is believed by some investigators that straggling bands of the early Spanish explorers of the southern tidewater, penetrated the Virginia and Kentucky wilderness. It would have been in keeping with the traditions of these insatiable gold seekers to have done so.
Near Indian Camp, in 1883, I was shown the ruins of the "Ancient mine," and also a small polished stone relic, resembling a disc, and a fragment of mossy lead, claimed to have been taken from the debris or waste of this mine. With these relics were found pieces of basketry and a buckskin moccasin. I also
examined an interesting figure carved on a large sandstone boulder in a nearby grotto, known as the "chimney rocks." Owing to the porous nature of this boulder, the figure had been nearly obliterated by vandals, and its outlines could not be accurately deciphered. In appearance, it rudely represented the
compasses. The trace of a camp fire was observed in the smoke-tinged wall at the back of the grotto.
An interesting volume could be written from data at hand, regarding the mine. The wild legends relating to its discovery and working; its subsequent forced abandonment through the hostility of the Indians, brought about by the reckless deed of one of the mines; the burial of vast treasure; the battle; the
massacre and final flight and escape of but two of the party. All are fraught with thrilling romance.

Sketch
Figure 1
Reproduction of inscriptions thought to pertain to Swift s Silver Mine.

On July 15th, 1867, Dr. L. S. S. Farnsworth, resident dentist of Buckhannon, brought to light some legendary rock inscriptions on the head of Stone Coal Creek, which were supposed to have connection with this mine and its disastrous tragedies. These had previously been found by a squirrel hunter named Calvin Smith, who determined to seek a home in the west, revealed to Dr. Farnsworth the location of his discovery. In company with Mr. Valentine Lorentz, Dr. Farnsworth repaired to the region indicated by the hunter,
where they found in the woods on a high ridge, an immense flat stone bearing the inscription
shown in Figure 1.
About three fourth of a mile northwest of this mysterious monument, was found an upright stone, "resembling a tombs one" bearing the legend shown in Figure 2.

SKETCH
Figure 2
Reproduction of inscription thought to pertain to the location of Swift s Silver Mine

The solitary "S" is supposed to signify Silver.
Dr. Farnsworth had this relic in his office for several years, where it was seen by a number of persons. Three-fourths of a mile further northwest was found a small cave, or shelter formed by a rock projecting some ten or fifteen feet from the hillside. This grotto had at some time previous been occupied as a camp. Back from the entrance and lying on the floor was a heavy slab of stone, measuring several feet across, which had in more recent years fallen from the overhead. Carved in the roof of the cave was a rude circle, with the four cardinal points of the compass designated by the usual alphabetical characters. Across the surface of this circle, extended a well defined "pointer" not unlike the needle of a compass. The fallen
fragment of the roof had evidently carried away an inscription, as shown by the accompanying cut. (Figure 3) This stone could not be overturned for the purpose of deciphering the full inscription, but it required
but little imagination to determine that GOLD and SNATH were largely is component parts.

SKETCH
Figure 3

By the aid of his compass Dr. Farnsworth writes me, it was apparent that the "pointer" at this cavern and the finger of the inverted hand on the upright stone, indicated lines which converged at a point on the
Buckhannon River just below the crossing, or ford at the village of Sage. Afterwards four other stone "pointers or guides" were found near the Sago ford, which had apparently had connection with those on Stone Coal.
My brother, C. C. F. McWhorter, who was for many years County Clerk of Upshur County, saw and examined the inscribed stone, in Dr. Farnsworth s office. It appeared very old and weather worn, the lettering evidently had been done with a small pointed steel instrument, and, while crude, was very legible.
Mr. McWhorter has a copy of an inscribed stone, made by the late Col. Henry F. Westfall, local historian of Buckhannon. This inscription is very nearly that which Dr. Farnsworth says was on the large immovable stone (Figure 1), but its contour is very much that of (Figure 2).

SKETCH Figure 4

The accompanying cut (Figure 4) is from a photograph of the Westfall copy, which is made on the discolored fly-leaf of an old book, with no attempt at imitating the handicraft of the mysterious Snath. The
Colonel, it should be noted, places the discovery of this stone in January 1866. This may perhaps be the discovery by Smith, referred to. It is proper to state that Figures 1, 2, and 3, are copies which Dr. Farnsworth
made from memory; not having at hand the originals which he carefully executed at the time of his discovery.
Cutright says in connection with Indian Camp - "There is other data pointing to this rock as the rendezvous of the Indians. On the Buckhannon river west of Sago and Ten Mile, certain stones are planted in the shape of a spearhead, whose sharp end points in the direction of Indian Camp Rock. These rock or
pointers the author himself has observed and there may be others which aim in the same direction, evidently for the purpose of telling wandering bands of Indians where they might find a safe seclusion, sheltering protection and a temporary home.
Whether or not Mr. Cutright s theory in regard to the pointed rocks is correct, it is certain that speculation relative to the "mine" and buried treasure ran high; and not all of which was confined to local circles. Parties from across the water made fruitless quest with "chart" and "key" for the secreted bullion.
There are those still living who have not abandoned the search, and who believe that success will yet be theirs.
Mr. Cutright gives a narrative of three Frenchmen who crossed the mountains at an earlier period, perhaps in the forties, in quest of gold and camped for many years under a shelving rock on the waters of the Little Kanawha, near Rock Cave Post office, in Upshur County. One of them eventually died and was buried by his comrades, under the rock which had sheltered them so long; and where a century later a Caucasian skull was unearthed. The two survivors recrossed the mountains never to return. It is not known that these adventurers were in any way connected with the later achievements of Swartus Cnancu and Snath, but their dreams of wealth in the western wilderness was never realized.
Legends of the celebrated "Swift Mines" are linked with Indian Camp and its connecting stories of "buried treasure." One version of the original discovery of the mine, or mines, is that an Indian appeared in
Jamestown, VA, wearing arm-bands and other ornaments of silver and when interrogated, offered to pilot a party across the mountains where there was "plenty" of such metal. This he afterwards done, and on the sequel hangs the wild, weird story of Swartus Cnancu, the resourceful Snath and their unfortunate
companions in the wilderness of the Buckhannon.
While working the mine at Indian Camp, so runs the tradition, the Indians were friendly until late in the season and after a large quantity of the metal had been smelted, one of the adventurers, in an altercation with an Indian while hunting, struck the red man, which precipitated hostilities, fatal to the expedition. To avenge the insult, the Indians attacked and killed several of the miners and held the camp in a state of siege. The survivors foreseeing their probable doom, attempted to obliterate all visible traces of the mine by blasting fragments of stone from the overhanging cliff and letting them drop into the opening of the shaft, or tunnel. While this was being done and while the battle still raged, Snath managed to extricate himself from the beleaguered camp, and at various places set up stone "pointers", and constructed a "key" and "chart" by which a return to the mine could be accomplished.
A lull in hostilities induced the belief that the Indians had abandoned the wilderness and the miners prepared to return east of the mountains. They buried vast quantities of bullion and set up additional "markers" by which it could be subsequently located. In the meantime they were again set upon by the
Indians and only two, with the "chart" and "key" escaped. These instruments have been variously deciphered and seemingly applied alike to different localities.
Legends of the celebrated "Swift Mines" are linked with Indian Camp and its connecting stories of "buried treasure". One version of the original discovery of the mine, or mines, is that an Indian appeared in
Jamestown, VA, wearing arm-bands and other ornaments of silver and when interrogated, offered to pilot a party across the mountains, where there was "plenty" of such metal. This he afterwards done, and on the sequel hangs the wild, weird story of Swartus Cnancu, the resourceful Snath and their unfortunate
companions in the wilderness of the Buckhannon.
While working the mine at Indian Camp, so runs the tradition, the Indians were friendly until late in the season and after a large quantity of the metal had been smelted, one of the adventurers, in an altercation with an Indian while hunting, struck the red man, which precipitated hostilities, fatal to the expedition. To avenge the insult, the Indians attacked and killed several of the miners and held the camp in a state of siege. The survivors foreseeing their probable doom attempted to obliterate all visible traces of the mine by blasting fragments of stone from the overhanging cliff and letting them drop into the opening of the shaft, or tunnel. While this was being done and while the battle still raged, Snath managed to extricate himself from the beleaguered camp, and at various places set up stone "pointers," and constructed a "key" and "chart" by which a return to the mine could be accomplished.
A lull in the hostilities induced the belief that the Indians had abandoned the wilderness and the miners prepared to return east of the mountains. They buried vast quantities of bullion and set up additional "markers" by which it could be subsequently located. In the meantime they were again set upon by the Indians and only two, with the "chart" and "key" escaped. These instruments have been variously deciphered and seemingly applied alike to different localities.
The old "drill marks" which I examined on some blocks of stone at this "mine" appeared to resemble certain fossil imprint belonging to the carboniferous period. The same can be said of the "frying pan" done intaglio on the face of the cliff where the blasting had been done. However, the lapse of more than one hundred years might have a tendency to produce in the porous sandstone the noticeable irregularity of surface in both the "drill" cuts and the "frying pan;" this last a supposed "marker". A large "drill" groove
was also observed on the front of this cliff.
In 1883, report came to me that a few ancient looking tools, supposedly those of the "Mound Builders," had been discovered in a small cave on Grass run not far from Indian Camp. Upon investigation it was learned that the implements, whatever they were, were of iron and very rusty; and ignorant of their importance, the finder had taken them to a local blacksmith, who hammered them into articles better fitted to modern domestic use. They were described as "strange looking tools," and no one knew how they came to be placed there.
I have an old map done in ink on parchment, which tells of money or mineral in a cave on the Buckhannon River. It was given me by the late Joseph M. Wilson, of Berlin, WV, in 1891, who found it among some papers left by his grandfather who died a few years after the close of the Civil War. Mr. Wilson could tell but little about the map, further than that when a boy in his early teens, he accompanied his grandfather to Marion Co., to obtain a companion paper, or "key" to the map; and the old gentleman said to him on the return trip: "I now have the paper that I wanted and I can go directly to the cave and
find the money." The old man was soon afterwards taken ill and never recovered. I remember him distinctly.
It was more than a year after his death that the map and "key" occurred to Mr. Wilson, and he went to his step-grandmother and asked her about them. She produced a bundle of papers and among them was the map. The most diligent search failed to reveal the other paper and the inference was that it
had been destroyed. The old lady was very illiterate and acknowledged that she had "burned a lot of such trash", deeming it of no value.
Mr. Wilson, in commenting, said: "My grandfather had no doubt about the authenticity of these papers and their import; otherwise he never would have ridden across two counties, nearly to get one of them. He
told me that the map was given him during the Civil War by a party whose name I do not recall, in Monongahelia Co.; and who was then on his way to secure the treasure, but was deterred on account of the dangers encountered. Not only were contingents of both armies to be met with, but the dreaded "bush-
whacker" infested every mountain pass. He informed my grandfather where he could find the "key" with the party in Marion Co., and promised to return after the close of the war, when they would go together and find the hidden money. The man then rode away never to be seen again."
The map locates this treasure or mine, near the head of the Buckhannon River, and adjacent to a mountain on the right hand side of the stream. It is on "Wor (sic) Path" which crosses the Cheat River at the "Hoss Shoo." Both Indian Camp and Ash Camp are on an old Indian war path or trail.

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im guessing you know your email address is your posted name? If it was a mistake you can contact a mod to get it corrected. Good luck and welcome to the forum

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions