Whites XLT vs DFX

sniper-medic

Jun 21, 2007
Mendota, Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT, Spectrum DFX, and White's Spectra VX3
White's XLT vs DFX

Well gonna be purchasing a new detector....Had a White's Spectrum XLT for several years and liked it...Long story short, sold it and got out of the hobby....Now, guess what I got the itch again.....Soooo do I stay with what I had or do I go for the "New Kid on the Block". Live in Illinois and will do mostly coin and relic hunting....Any idears from you all ???

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
Re: White's XLT vs DFX

when my 12 year old xlt dies I will get a dfx or dfx II,III,IV or whatever is new from white's.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX

I got the DFX and it works well for coins and relics. I'm hunting in the relic mode a good deal here in the Netherlands and it works well. Finds things deep (consistently over 8") and the target ID and VDI information is pretty much on the money. Except when digging a place that has ground up bicycles retrieved from the canals. That's a completely different bird. I can just tell you that crushed up bicycle fenders read as $1 or quarters with VDIs of 85 to 92. Crap. At about 12-14 inches. Double crap.

Daryl

Attachments

• CanalBikes.jpg
    CanalBikes.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 217

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX

You wouldn't believe the number of bicycles in Amsterdam. I think there are in excess of 200,000 registered in the city. They are chained EVERYWHERE to EVERYTHING. Something like 80,000 bikes are stolen each year. What happens is a professional bike thief cuts the BIG chains (you always have to double chain your bike) with either a diamond saw blade or a pneumatic carbide jaw cutter and takes the bike. Some they strip for the good parts and others they find they are not as good as they thought. Either way, they just throw them into the canal to get rid of them. Other bikes are taken by people leaving bars and are too drunk to walk. They hunt for a bike that isn't chained. They ride it home or as far as they can and then either ride it into the canal or throw it in the canal when they are done with it. It doesn't take long to get a pretty good layer of bikes on the bottom of the canals.

Drug addicts "fish" the canals with grappling hooks hoping to snare a bike good enough to sell. You can buy one from most any addict for about 20 Euros. A little muddy but still a good bike. There are so many stolen each year that they estimate that over half the used bikes sold in real bike shops have been stolen at least one time.

If your bike gets stolen and recovered (in or out of the water), the police take them to an impound lot where you go to claim it. At last count there were 215,000 bikes at the lot. Find your bike. Yeah, right. Worth looking. Yeah, right.

And people who ride bicycles ALWAYS have the right of way. This applies even if they run a red light, are not in the bike lane, or anything. If you hit a person on a bicycle, you are at fault. No discussion. So when you try and cross the street here, there is a bike lane for bicycle, motorscooters, motorbikes, and motorcycles. They can also get out of their own special lane and ride in the car lane. Or if they are in a real hurry, they can use the sidewalk. No rules and no speed limits. Some of the motorcycles use the bike lane and will hit 50-60 mph along the canal roads. There are also the cars to contend with and there are no stop signs and they have the right of way over pedestrians. Then there are the trams that run the middle of the road and I don't know who has the right of way but I've seen a tram hit a bicycle. You can get killed out there walking because everything has the right of way over you. It's tough.

Daryl

Attachments

• bicycles2.jpg
    bicycles2.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 229
  • canalfish.jpg
    canalfish.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 196

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Kinda like New Jersey but there are no bodies in the trunks.

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark

naaahhhh charlie if those bikes were buried in the soil or thrown into the river in Jersey they would quickly dissolve from the toxicity

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread