Beach detecting in the outer banks

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Better question: "Does anyone know if there's any laws/ordinances PROHIBITING metal detecting." Very rare to find any rules that specifically "allow it."
Basically, you'll find that if it's not prohibited, it's legal. With any public property, if you call locally in the area to ask, be sure you ask if "it's prohibited," otherwise, you'll be very hit and miss on answers. You can get an arbitrary "no you can't do it." without any laws/ordinances backing it up.

That being said, I did a quick search of "Ocracoke island metal detecting" and instantly found results suggesting it's off limits:

This site lists Ocracoke as being prohibited.
Outer Banks Vacation Tips - Hidden Secrets
"Most of the beach from Nags Head north to Virginia are available for metal detecting. Hatteras Island and Ocracoke Island are off limits. The National Parks Service prohibits the use of metal detectors in all the National Parks in the Outer Banks."

Here's a thread from T-Net:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/300418-ocracoke-island-metal-detecting.html

Apparently Ocracoke island is NPS property, and it's prohibited...NPS property starts south of Nags Head

Regards,

Skippy

Answer sure does not get better than that.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, Alot of beach there, but it is mostly NPS property. Get ready for a long ferry ride unless you take the one from Hatteras. If you stay at the Pony Island motel,It's just a short walk to Howard's Pub :laughing7:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the bad news. If the public are allow to walk on the banks, I recommend that you take long walks and kick the sand and put the items in your pockets. It is total unfair, because the federal lands belong to us the public.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
good sleuthing work Skippy. NPS is one of the nearly singular enties , on a fed. level, with a specific prohibition. So if they administer the beach-in-question, the perhaps the info Skippy gives is accurate. I suppose you could try to argue that the intertidal zone is separate (versus the dune-line, etc...). But I would not want to get into a debate of semantics with someone who tried to differ :)

In all of CA's coastline, there is only a single stretch of beach that anyone's ever been hassled at. And, like this post, is some sort of national rec. area . As opposed to state or county or city. But with that said, the only few interactions there that I've heard of, have been "scram", at best (for when someone simply truly didn't know any better).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread