Question re: "straight shafts"

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the benefit/function of the straight shaft modifications I see? They seem to appear on mostly water machines?

Better balance, the controls act as counter weight to the coil and move coverage, at least on mine and my hunting partners, the longer shaft means you can cover more beach when swinging, means on the wet sand I can cover the same area on 2 passes that normally takes me 3 to cover,,,

OP
OP
finderskeepers

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! One of those weird broad search terms that bring a million results, but not easily answering the question.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to help..

tony curnick

Oct 14, 2014
Benoni
Detector(s) used
Garret At pro,Garret seahunter Mk 2,Minelab etrac,Minelab 305,one and a half surfmaster pi's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Straight shafts are way more ergonomic ,more comfortable to use ,balance the over all feel and put less stress on your arm and wrist...well worth the investment

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
A great example is the Etrac versus the CTX.

The Etrac weighs 4.8 lbs, has the curved shaft. After about an hour it was killing my elbow.

The CTX weighs 5.2 lbs and has the straight shaft. I can swing that all day long.

After swinging my Excal II for an hour, I purchased at straight shaft from Plugger.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread