Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Smittyman, Kurt Stuben and I went to the DIPA hunt last weekend. Unfortunately for me, I am not really a relic hunter, and the corn field is not really my preferred environment. I have failed at this before, but continue to try, despite knowing better.

My humble opinion: The event was nice, the meet and greet was killer (Smittyman won the Deus!), the venue was beautiful, things were well thought out and organized. For me it was more of a social event, an opportunity to meet some people from TNet, and in that regard, it was wildly successful. I hope that I get invited back next year.

We were able to stay for four and half days total, we hit the usual suspects: parks, schools and yards, in both Pa. and NJ. I was able to get a few good targets. Here was my take outside of the DIPA hunt:

- 7 silver coins. 1916 Barber dime was the best.
- 2 IHCS. The '04 is in nice shape.
- No date buffalo.
- 45 Wheaties, not pictured, oldest 1910.
- Big brass lock.
- Old jade bracelet piece. If anyone can ID this, please do so. I rubbed some dirt into the design, so that you can see it.
- Wheatie shot by a 22 cal.
- Treble Gilt flat button.
- 925 bracelet piece.

I was able to get pictures of both Smittyman and Kurt getting mobbed by the kids at the park! I yell "stranger danger" at them, and they leave me alone.

All things considered, it was a very nice little MDing vacation. The real treasure was the people! I can not say enough about the hospitality extended to us by the locals. I sincerely appreciate all of those who helped us along.

Thanks for looking and best of luck on your hunts!

Attachments

• IMG_20160420_173253_153-1.jpg
    IMG_20160420_173253_153-1.jpg
    741 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20160416_161959_121-1-1.jpg
    IMG_20160416_161959_121-1-1.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20160420_160709_971-1.jpg
    IMG_20160420_160709_971-1.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20160420_173419_329-1.jpg
    IMG_20160420_173419_329-1.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20160420_184549.jpg
    IMG_20160420_184549.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20160420_173514_840-1.jpg
    IMG_20160420_173514_840-1.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20160420_173444_898-1.jpg
    IMG_20160420_173444_898-1.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20160419_121759_022-1.jpg
    IMG_20160419_121759_022-1.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20160419_122048_174-1.jpg
    IMG_20160419_122048_174-1.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kids make me laugh. They'll stick their little heads right in front of yours to look in the hole. When they do that, I just can't help but chuckle. I then usually ask them to back up or leave... but I still laugh! Great pics. :)

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom those are some really nice finds I'm happy you got to pull some goodies from the ground I'm glad you enjoyed meeting everyone I'm sure everyone you met says the same Happy hunting good luck

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't expecting to find a lot at the DIPA hunt, just mostly because of my limited mobility. I was looking forward to the social aspect of it. The hunt was a success for the purpose of raising money for the Horsham Historical Society and I heard of some very good finds through Facebook. It was great getting to meet Tom, Smittyman, and Kurt Stuben along with some others from TNet after the meet and greet. In my humble opinion it was a great event but was ruined for me by the host, George Savino and his controversy of hiding coins to boost his ego. It had a snowball effect of people I wanted to meet dropping out of the event and him trying to drag me into his nightmare that he created. He wanted me to take sides with him in his crap with people he started crap with when they decided to pull out of his hunt. Especially after I stood by him before I knew he had actually bought and hid that coin ( and who knows how many others?) I left Sat night not even wanting to be involved after he woke me with a call six in the morning interrogating me as to who I was hanging with after the meet and greet? It escalated further with him sending a threatening text to my phone yesterday. I guess he forgets who stood by him saying what a good guy he was and that he could not of done the things people were saying about him. Life lesson for me, be careful who I call my friend. I still feel sorry for him, I wish him the best and I know he has the capability of being a good person. His mind is just twisted from trying to deal with that awful ego of his.

Nice finds Tom, it was great finally meeting you guys!

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom first off let me say that is a nice Assortment of relics you found. Seems like a good trip. Second- Brad I've never taken a side in this whole Vino deal. My personal opinion is he was wrong ..very wrong for whatever the reason and I believe that he has paid the price and very publicly. But I also feel that he has helped others by sharing his properties to hunt with several people on here when he really didn't have to do so. Any many great finds Were made by you and others that would Never be in display cases sitting in your house. We ALL have made mistakes in life ( maybe not so publicly) but we have to answer for those ourselves. But I never saw one person bash George as they stood in long lines to kiss his butt to be able to hunt with him. Now with that said I wonder why after reading your post you choose to call him out in this forum and didn't walk right up to him and say what you just did. Personally I think I know the reason but I'll leave it at that.
Again CT great digs

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you had 4 and a half days of fun.From your pictures ,those areas seem a great place to hunt.

OP
OP
Carolina Tom

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like you had 4 and a half days of fun.From your pictures ,those areas seem a great place to hunt.

Thanks Thrify! I like to metal detect period, I don't have great hopes of finding the good stuff, it would be nice, but just doesn't happen often. I am thrilled when I see a Rosie in the hole shining back at me. I had a really nice time hunting with old friends, and new ones, and I found a few things,. That makes it all good for me.

There was a bit of adversity here and there, but all in all, it was a good time. I am already looking forward to my next trip!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom you fellas had an awesome trip!, tell smitty that I literally missed that deus by 10 freakin numbers!!!!
Once he learns that machine I think he's gonna love it!
You mopped up some nice digs in your trip, worth it in my opinion!

OP
OP
Carolina Tom

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Tom first off let me say that is a nice Assortment of relics you found. Seems like a good trip. Second- Brad I've never taken a side in this whole Vino deal. My personal opinion is he was wrong ..very wrong for whatever the reason and I believe that he has paid the price and very publicly. But I also feel that he has helped others by sharing his properties to hunt with several people on here when he really didn't have to do so. Any many great finds Were made by you and others that would Never be in display cases sitting in your house. We ALL have made mistakes in life ( maybe not so publicly) but we have to answer for those ourselves. But I never saw one person bash George as they stood in long lines to kiss his butt to be able to hunt with him. Now with that said I wonder why after reading your post you choose to call him out in this forum and didn't walk right up to him and say what you just did. Personally I think I know the reason but I'll leave it at that.
Again CT great digs

Thanks for the props on my finds. I had a really nice time just hunting the local area.

George has always been very good to me, and my friends. I went to DIPA to support him and the Horsham Historical Society, and feel good about having done so. I believe we all have our issues from time to time, I am near the top of that list. I believe that we should not point out other's faults, as they may point out ours. Just my two cents worth. I wish everyone the best!

OP
OP
Carolina Tom

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Tom you fellas had an awesome trip!, tell smitty that I literally missed that deus by 10 freakin numbers!!!!

I missed the Deus by three tickets, as I had to let Smittyman in front of me in the line... so that I could keep an eye on him! Please do not remind me of this ever again. OUCH!

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom, did you forget to list your LC I see in the pic?

ETA - Nice group of silver. That Barber is sweet.

Last edited:

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer 2, etrac, deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About time you posted the other finds. See you got a good mixture of things, shineys and all. Congrats

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wasn't expecting to find a lot at the DIPA hunt, just mostly because of my limited mobility. I was looking forward to the social aspect of it. The hunt was a success for the purpose of raising money for the Horsham Historical Society and I heard of some very good finds through Facebook. It was great getting to meet Tom, Smittyman, and Kurt Stuben along with some others from TNet after the meet and greet. In my humble opinion it was a great event but was ruined for me by the host, George Savino and his controversy of hiding coins to boost his ego. It had a snowball effect of people I wanted to meet dropping out of the event and him trying to drag me into his nightmare that he created. He wanted me to take sides with him in his crap with people he started crap with when they decided to pull out of his hunt. Especially after I stood by him before I knew he had actually bought and hid that coin ( and who knows how many others?) I left Sat night not even wanting to be involved after he woke me with a call six in the morning interrogating me as to who I was hanging with after the meet and greet? It escalated further with him sending a threatening text to my phone yesterday. I guess he forgets who stood by him saying what a good guy he was and that he could not of done the things people were saying about him. Life lesson for me, be careful who I call my friend. I still feel sorry for him, I wish him the best and I know he has the capability of being a good person. His mind is just twisted from trying to deal with that awful ego of his.

Nice finds Tom, it was great finally meeting you guys!

And there's 100% proof why they invented "Block this caller" on a phone. :)

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I missed the Deus by three tickets, as I had to let Smittyman in front of me in the line... so that I could keep an eye on him! Please do not remind me of this ever again. OUCH!

Well... if it helps you feel better, the likelihood of you winning had you been three up would be next to nothing. Small variations in the way the ticket landed in the jar (because you put it in, or they did it different because of the length of conversation, etc.) would have resulted in a different outcome.

You NOT winning is not something you had an outcome in, but... here's the fun part, because Smitty won, your HELP moving him to the front made it 100% possible (again, variation).

He owes you a pinpointer at least. That's the way I see it. :)

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

As long as Smittyman hunts with Tom he'll never learn the Deus. They'll get somewhere and Smittyman will pull out the Deus to work on learning it. Ten minutes later Tom pulls a merc from the ground. Smittyman RUNS to his truck to swap out the Deus for the CTX and never looks back. He already had a Deus and it's probably got about 10 hours of use on it in the whole time he's had it. I keep urging him to learn the Deus but because of Tom that'll never happen.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom, it looks to me like Kurt knows what he is doing. I see not only kids in those pics but a Mama or two as well8-)

OP
OP
Carolina Tom

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Tom, it looks to me like Kurt knows what he is doing. I see not only kids in those pics but a Mama or two as well8-)

"Yoga Pants Mom" was hot! That is why I took that pic!

Kurt drooled on her shoes!

OP
OP
Carolina Tom

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
As long as Smittyman hunts with Tom he'll never learn the Deus. They'll get somewhere and Smittyman will pull out the Deus to work on learning it. Ten minutes later Tom pulls a merc from the ground. Smittyman RUNS to his truck to swap out the Deus for the CTX and never looks back. He already had a Deus and it's probably got about 10 hours of use on it in the whole time he's had it. I keep urging him to learn the Deus but because of Tom that'll never happen.

I "need" to keep him squarely in the Minelabs camp. Go CTX, go Etrac! Yeah!

It leaves me all alone to pick the silvers from the nails! there is a method to this madness.

I will assure you that Smittyman will NEVER get a chance to learn that machine!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Wow

Nice batch of stuff Tom. I was hoping we'd cross paths but apparently we didn't.

I didn't return for Sunday. I agree with everything you stated above. I would have loved to joined you guys outside of the hunt

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread