🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DSCF0004.JPG
DSCF0009.JPG DSCF0005.JPG

DSCF0012.JPG

not any more

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Those who rummage through Cracker Jack boxes looking for a stick-on tattoo or whistle now will find a sticker with a link to an online game.
Cracker Jack will no longer contain the traditional prizes found in the boxes, according to an announcement by Frito-Lay, the division of PepsiCo that owns the product.
Changing the more than 100-year tradition is not going over well.

Cracker Jack switches prizes in box to codes for digital games | cleveland.com

Last edited:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would fight it tooth and nail for them prizes to stay in. That's the candy on the corn......so to speak.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is Carmel coated popcorn.
It sounds like they say "Candy Coated popcorn" Though.

But I'm going by an Early 60's Memory.
I remember The commercial above well .

1960's Cracker Jack song: What do you want when you gotta eat something? It's gotta be sweet and it's gotta be a lot and we gotta have it now. What you want lip smacking, whip smacking, patty wacking, inta knacking, google wacking, and Cracker Jacking good.Cracker Jack! What you get when you open the top and look inside and smack your lips and turn it over and spill it out. What you get? lip smacking, whip smacking, patty wacking, inta knacking, google wacking, and Cracker Jacking good.Cracker Jack! Candy coated popcorn, peanuts and a prize that's what you get in Cracker Jack.

" google wacking" ?

I think they got some words wrong :tongue3:

Last edited:

mag315

Greenie
Apr 21, 2015
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Master Hunter 7,
Whites Goldmaster 66TR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing is the same these days, all the good stuff from my childhood is gone.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't care, the prizes haven't been good for years, just boring pieces of paper. In fact, the Cracker Jacks themselves aren't that great anymore, nothing like it was when I was a kid.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats the point of a happy meal, cereal, or cracker jacks if there is no prize? Geez they have ruined everything! :laughing7:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok all you old geezers. Cracker jack is still cheap and wonderful, like 3 boxes for a buck at my local grocery store. As for prizes, if your kids or the neighbors had not swallowed the magnifying glasses or the whistles, they would still be in there. Then the crappy paper with lame jokes and the stick on tattoos that even the kids hated just didn't get the job done. Now online games? Guess that's what we deserve for our liberal, protectionist, I'm gonna sue your ass attitudes. Just my opinion of course...Pushin 70 in Texas...

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! it's been about a half century since I last saw that commercial but I totally remembered it! As much as we liked the stuff, it was always about the prize. That cheap little toy was as much a part of the product's identity as the caramel corn and peanuts. It was a gimmick that kept a run-of-the-mill snack popular for a hundred years. If they were smart they would put some decent prizes back in there, put more peanuts in (currently about 3-4 per box), and just raise the price a bit.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok all you old geezers. Cracker jack is still cheap and wonderful, like 3 boxes for a buck at my local grocery store. As for prizes, if your kids or the neighbors had not swallowed the magnifying glasses or the whistles, they would still be in there. Then the crappy paper with lame jokes and the stick on tattoos that even the kids hated just didn't get the job done. Now online games? Guess that's what we deserve for our liberal, protectionist, I'm gonna sue your ass attitudes. Just my opinion of course...Pushin 70 in Texas...

what happens when you get a virus downloading a game :laughing7:
or play it on the I-5 on the way home from work :tongue3:

personally I would think removing the peanuts & hoping for increased sales from those with peanut allergies. along with adding decent prizes, would increase sales.

I see nothing at this point left except to discontinue producing it all together

Last edited:

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

personally I would think removing the peanuts & hoping for increased sales from those with peanut allergies. along with adding decent prizes, would increase sales.

I see nothing at this point left except to discontinue producing it all together

What peanuts? There is like three in each box. We got the three for a $........not at all like they used to be!

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but the only reason it was bought was for the prize. Just like all the old cereals you didn't care which one you got as long as it had a decoder ring or something in it. And you would dig through the box with your mom yelling at you just to get to that prize. Memories are great.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well dang what is next to go Tinker toys ?

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Next thing ya know, they'll take out the caramel and the popcorn. >:(

You mean, you all actually bought it, for the food? :icon_scratch: :laughing7:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
What peanuts? There is like three in each box. We got the three for a $........not at all like they used to be!

A fine tradition.
Like the amount of pork in a can of pork and beans.
Or chicken in a can of chicken soup in which a chicken wearing rubber boots is alleged to have walked through it thereby making it officially have chicken.
Might need a D.N.A. test to confirm it.:laughing7:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next thing ya know, they'll take out the caramel and the popcorn. >:(

You mean, you all actually bought it, for the food? :icon_scratch: :laughing7:

Open a box, and you will see that the crackerjacks coating is nearly missing now. Just sad popcorn kernels with a dab of stuff on them.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have Pick Up Sticks been outlawed yet? My Sis and I played that game in the '50's.
Marvin

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, and I heard that they are putting STICKERS in the boxes now. Not so, apparently, CODES for hand-held digital devices...?
What about ME, still holding on to my "flip-phone"...?! :laughing7:
I guess they wouldn't put fake tattoos in their boxes, as all the potential customers, already had TATTOOS!
What Is This World Coming Too...?!

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, and I heard that they are putting STICKERS in the boxes now. Not so, apparently, CODES for hand-held digital devices...?
What about ME, still holding on to my "flip-phone"...?! :laughing7:
I guess they wouldn't put fake tattoos in their boxes, as all the potential customers, already had TATTOOS!
What Is This World Coming Too...?!

yes I just upgraded to another Flip Phone 2 weeks ago.
because My Battery went bad.:laughing7:
No texting, No Internet, No tracking that I'm aware of.
they are not going to try & crack my Phone :tongue3:
Just a Phone, with a very limited sim card :thumbsup:

Ud.jpg

Last edited:

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes I just upgraded to another Flip Phone 2 weeks ago.
because My Battery went bad.:laughing7:
No texting, No Internet, No tracking that I'm aware of.
they are not going to try & crack my Phone :tongue3:
Just a Phone, with a very limited sim card :thumbsup:

View attachment 1303623

Do you really think that if someone wants to crack your phone, that a cheap one will be easier? A cheap one is simple.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions