Newbie looking to let others search for gold on my property in NC

Cheaperrooter

Apr 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a new member and 55. Just retired on 30 acres in Hayesville North Carolina, Clay County. I have a creek that's not only beautiful but just begs to be searched for gold. My limited research has indicated that I have an ideal situation. The creek runs right down the middle of my property, long ways and narrow. I am literally buried between two mountains. Meaning that 30 foot in either direction I have some pretty tall mountains on each side of the creek. And so I probably have a half mile of creek that takes many twists and turns and goes over numerous waterfalls. Huge areas of bedrock that run from the top of the mountain all the way down into the creek. 30 foot wide and 200 foot high. The land has been privately owned and never searched for gold on.

I ordered a 5 foot sluice to put under the waterfalls. $130. Don't want to make a major investment until I make sure I follow through because I know that I am lazy. My research, again Limited, has told me the best starting point is to search in the crevices of the bedrock with a crevice tool.

Also have experienced some very high water levels as it was one of the wettest seasons on record. Another indication I may be in good shape to find something. Plus I have dozens of nice gravel beds begging to be searched. Let's just say that I think as a possibility of finding gold goes, I am as in good shape as any if not much better.

My intuition tells me that people who do this, have much more good moral and ethics and integrity than the normal person. This is pure speculation but just something that I believe. With that understanding, I would like to open up the opportunity for much more experienced individuals to come out and see what they can find and we would split it down the middle.

OP
OP
C

Cheaperrooter

Apr 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should add that in my 20s I had a fancy whites metal detector that drove me insane and beeped on everything. Any advice for the best detector to use for my situation, searching along crevices and bedrock and underneath waterfalls would be great. Totally waterproof unit for starters without breaking the bank.

And whether or not the pros even think I need one to begin with!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lowest priced waterproof gold machine that I know of is the ATGold. They are 5-$600 on used market. It is also a pretty good coin and relic Hunter and waterproof to 10 feet. The stock headphones are not waterproof but Garrett sells waterproof ones for the ATG/ATPro.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
When you are running your sluice, don't forget to check the stones for precious gem stones. Rubys and emeralds have been found in NC. Get an Enginner bar/Digging bar (5-6 feet long, 1 inch to 1.5 inches diameter) at a good hardware store ($30?)for moving good sized rocks to work the area below them for the gold trapped under them. Well worth the price.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn - Wish I lived near you!!! Good Luck in your search! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
C

Cheaperrooter

Apr 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. I already have a breaker bar for busting open sewer pipes, an ex plumber here. Do you recommend a metal detector at all? And do you recommend putting the sluice under the waterfall or laying flat in the riverbed?

I sure wish somebody would come along and do this for me :)

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
I've hunted gold and gemstones all over Western NC... In Clay County you may find some gold.. and even a better chance of finding corundum(sapphire & ruby).. which I've hunted for over 30 years!
I live just across the state line, west of Murphy.
Do you live near Chunky Gal Mountain? And a couple of gold mines in Tate City(GA) just across the state line from Clay County.

Best at ya!
Wayne

sign.jpg

4Strokes1Pick&Poke

May 3, 2016
Arizona, California, Alaska, Oregon, Florida, Loui
Detector(s) used
Garret Pin pointer pro AT. "Other" methods.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wouldn't be putting any sluice under waterfall, the idea is to run material thru the sluice at a angle that washes the pay dirt loaded steady and making undercurrents over the riffles. Your going to catch your heavy gold at the top of the sluice (first three or so) and the rest washes down and out as tailings. Gold might come over the fall but more than likely would splash out or displace your sluice box. Set it up in a current down stream Secure it with rocks so it doesn't move. I don't know how fast your creek is but you can put a slit shot sinker on a balloon tide off a string and toss in the fast moving water. Keep a eye were that sinker ends up down stream and that will give a beginner a idea of where your gold is going to lay in the stream. Not a heavy weight something light enough to bounce down and settle. Once it does start going towards the backside of the rocks in that area and panning a few test pans. Better yet start running your pay dirt through your sluice. Give it ten 5 gallon buckets to start and wash the cloth out in your bucket and pan it. See what you have if you have color then run a good few hours through your sluice and repeat. If your waterfall has a hole it falls into big enough you might look at a setup like a high banker with suction and hit the bedrock. I don't know how far you want to get into it. I would run it in flat swift water and do some test runs. Pan first, get color then go from there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cheaperrooter

Apr 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for such a delay but such is life sometimes. But thanks for all the advice everyone! Seeing as I haven't even taken the sluice out of the box yet, I was hoping to logon and see that energetic person anxious to come do this for me! But alas, if it's going to happen it appears I will have to be the one to do it! The NERVE of some people making me look for my own gold ... LOL

OP
OP
C

Cheaperrooter

Apr 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every couple months I logon hoping to get a private message from some young stud muffin anxious to get rich off of the gold he finds in my creek. But alas....

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey man, I live in Raleigh NC and have a group of guys that would probably be willing to come up for a weekend and and metal detect and check it out. Could we camp on your property and also metal detect? It's probably getting a little too cold to be in the water too much up there now but who knows!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some young stud muffin

Let's hope you're a woman. Either way, this comment seems inappropriate to me. What exactly are you looking for?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's hope you're a woman. Either way, this comment seems inappropriate to me. What exactly are you looking for?

Lol you guys may get something more than you bargained for! Remember silence of the lambs?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"It rubs the lotion on while kneeling down in the stream looking for gold" (dueling banjos in the background) I can see it now "Lambs Delivered Silently".

OP
OP
C

Cheaperrooter

Apr 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey man, I live in Raleigh NC and have a group of guys that would probably be willing to come up for a weekend and and metal detect and check it out. Could we camp on your property and also metal detect? It's probably getting a little too cold to be in the water too much up there now but who knows!

Absolutely!!! And there are more than enough places to camp. It's a bit wild but there are several areas that are clear enough to put up a tent.

P.m. me and let's see if you're interested in taking this a step further!

And feel free to ignore all of the homophobes out there, I'm a married man :)

OP
OP
C

Cheaperrooter

Apr 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"It rubs the lotion on while kneeling down in the stream looking for gold" (dueling banjos in the background) I can see it now "Lambs Delivered Silently".

The term stud muffin refers to a ladies man..

OP
OP
C

Cheaperrooter

Apr 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

QUOTE]

Dang guys!!!! A little bit of humor and it gets twisted and warped. It sounds more like you're hoping for such a situation then thinking it could be..

OP
OP
C

Cheaperrooter

Apr 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What exactly are you looking for?

Hmmmmm, tough one. What am I looking for huh? What a mystery that must be for you. I can't imagine where you would derive such information, I mean I left so much room for speculation.

Not like I opened up the thread with a STATEMENT about who I am and what I was looking for...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions