H & B Grandfather Clock

Robert Crosby

Apr 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to get some information on an old family grandfather clock. I have pictures which I've been unable to post, but would gladly share with someone via email if they thought they might be able to help.
I suspect it is of minimal value, but you never know?
I believe it was made in Mississippi, possibly as late as 1985. (There's a small paper, hand written label on the inside, "7-30-85 293-0170")
Clock has two, 8 pound weights, about 9 1/2" long and 2 1/2" in diameter.
Pendulum shaft is wood, perhaps oak, 39" long with a 6 1/2" bottom disk.
Clock works are sandwiched between two brass plates, one with a 9/16" logo of a clock gear with a rectangle in the center marked "H & B"
Cast iron plate that holds the vibrating rods also has this same logo. In addition, below the logo on the clock works is "60SC and a symbol that resembles a left facing, upside down fish hook. Also the number "10579".
I can find no other identifying marks, including nothing on the clock face. It works beautifully. The cabinet appears to be rather crudely build though it has a circular glass plate in front of the face and two beveled rectangular windows below.
I followed another thread link to a site that listed a large number of clock manufacturers, but found no "H & B".
Sorry about the present absense of pictures. Any help greatly appreciated.
Rob

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look up "Haller & Benzing" grandfather clocks and see if they look like yours, made in Germany 1885-1929. I found this query with a clock with a similar logo

http://www.justanswer.com/antiques/6mfzl-antique-grandfather-clock-purchased-germany.html

Last edited:

Tom Bigbee

Feb 17, 2009
Miss/ Ala
Detector(s) used
1266X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Herschede Hall Clock Co. has been making clocks in Starkville, MS since 1960. A google search will turn up much info.

OP
OP
R

Robert Crosby

Apr 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
H & B Clock

The Herschede Hall Clock Co. has been making clocks in Starkville, MS since 1960. A google search will turn up much info.

Susan and Tom,
Thanks for the great leads! I'll be following both and will report back, though it may be a few days!
;-) Rob

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Susan and Tom,
Thanks for the great leads! I'll be following both and will report back, though it may be a few days!
;-) Rob

Herschede was out of business by 1985. Their logo, would be right above the dial. An internet search shows their logo. Above the 12 O'clock or in the area above from what the pictures show.

This may have been a "project" type clock, or a "kit clock". where you bought and built it, like a model. :dontknow:

I tried looking up the logo you described and could not find it. But I'm no clock movement expert either. If you can get pictures in the thread it might help to try to identify it.

Here is a link with some of their history,
Herschede Hall Clock Co. History & Information from Champ's Clock Shop

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Robert Crosby

Apr 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_3322.JPG IMG_3323.JPG IMG_3324.jpg IMG_3325.JPG IMG_3326.jpg
Hoping these pictures may help, though they're not that good. If they show at all, it at least means that I have the process down and can add some better shot. I suspect that Nitric has it right. "Case " appears to be very "rustic", not fine furniture at all. A Kit project is my best guess at this point.
Rob

Wow. Wish all the forums I frequent were this easy to post photos to!!

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not too sure! That sure looks a lot older than 1985 at first glance. The date you found? Might be a repair date, or a date when it was cleaned.:dontknow: I'll try to do some digging tonight and see if I can match the style up, I only know enough to take guess's!:laughing7:...That looks pretty old, unless someone made it to look old.

That might be what they call a tall case clock, really don't remember what the actual differences are.

Someone may have refinished the case and added a different movement to it.

If you look at case construction, and nails, placement of nails,the back, all that stuff might give you a clue too.

Either way? Very cool looking clock!

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Robert Crosby

Apr 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nitric,
That's it for sure. Still working on pulling out more info. Thanks!
;-) Rob

Definitely had some work at some point. Back of case shows countersunk holes where original screws had apparently gone. Back is now held in place with small nails.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread