Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All 100% true so here goes. Last fall my 4 pet chickens were terrorized by a bobcat, he even scared the snot out of me when he was real close to the house about Thanksgiving. Well, I tried EVERYTHING to get his picture with a trail camera, to no avail. That one time he was only 75 feet away in a tree and I almost had a cow.

So, the bobcat has moved away.

In February, the pair of beavers on my creek also left after a flood, it's getting lonely down here in the hollow.

My pet chickens did NOT appreciate the sweet lemon pie today. The crust was yummy with all that white sugar, but it's really hard getting that sticky lemon garbage off your beak. All four came right up to me for some quality sitting in the lap and petting time. However, my offerings of a whole apple, half a pound of fresh macaroni, $2.00 of seedless grapes and cheese and the usual (boring) chicken food was acceptable. They aren't spoiled.

NOW FOR THE EAGLES. NOW I KNOW why there isn't much wildlife around anymore (except squirrels). Neighbor said the bald eagles two houses down are snatching up everything they can. Rabbits, chickens, ducks, groundhogs, pigeons, small dogs and cats. Never heard of them going after dogs and cats before. The "loose" dog and the "barn cat" are things of the past around here anymore. You don't even see many groundhogs.

We'll know the eagles are getting too big if they start to carry off whitetail deer, although I did see a pair of Balds having one for lunch after it had been hit by a car. Thought they liked fish.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your pet chickens must be way over weight. R U still have problems in getting their eggs? If yes, eat them and get more chickens.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I now have lots of eggs. I haven't lost one in a week. My Elmer Fudd/Wiley Coyote contraption works perfectly. Now, they don't lay every day. Today I was home most of the day and their suck up was so special
I had to do an extra treat. "Buttercup" is a very slight bird. "Big Red" and "Little One" are normal size, and "Scrambles" the Wonder Chicken is BIG and heavy. They don't get this much every day.....And they were outside to "fly" it off. Right. Oven stuffer roasters cannot fly.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Eagles are like that, as are owls and hawks. They move from place to place following the food supply. When the food supply runs out there, they'll move on. These eagles might have thought this area had more "goodies" than it did. However, they also catch mice, squirrels, and even skunks! Birds can't smell, for the most part. ...Well, they CAN smell...if you leave 'em out of the fridge too long! :tongue3:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They even smell if you leave them IN the fridge too long and forget they're in there. (Not that I would admit ever doing that). There are several nesting pairs within 10 miles of my house. Three I know of for sure. One was after my chickens, unsuccessfully I might add.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
We were heading home the other day when my wife spots a bald eagle sittin' in the top of a tree. She's screaming, wanting me to slow down and get the camera. For one, I was doing about 60 on a dirt/gravel road that is perfectly straight for 11 miles! Secondly, if I'd have slowed down, we would have stopped out of range of the camera zoom. And third, if I had turned around, the bird would have flown away because there's too many idiots in this area that still shoot them!

...We're still talking about the size of that bird! :thumbsup:

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my eagles up here. But the sad truth is that as majestic as we dream them to be, they are for the most part scavengers. They eat a lot of fish but the easy meal appeals to them.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are big, for sure. 20 years ago you NEVER saw a bald eagle here. 30 years ago you never saw an American Bluebird here, but not anymore. The bluebirds are almost as common as robins now.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Eagles after chickens? Use a 12 gauge or a rifle. Problem solved. Chickens love mommy/daddy, give lots of eggs now...

This is not an original idea. ranchers out by Uvalde(TEXAS) use airplanes to shoot eagles. Highly illegal, but oh, so effective. Eagles after little lambs, ride in airplanes pow, pow, pow, little lambs grow up. All small wildlife secure, bobcat gets free meal when national symbol crash and burn. Bobcat pick up eagle feather ok. You pick up eagle feather, gov't police put your ass in stir for long time...

Last edited:

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
And a $1000 fine. They just need to get some peregrine Falcons and they will drive the Eagles away. Saw that in Southern Arizona, two of them dive bombing the heck out of a Golden Eagle. They would hit him and he would tumble and collect himself and then the other one would have gotten above him and dive bombed again. Run him way away. Was neat to watch.

S

stefen

When your chickens become endangered due to the pesky eagles, remember that when roasted they taste as good as the Spotted owl...

Salt, pepper and corn meal and apple stuffing only enhances the flavor...

And they do taste like chicken...

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Man all this talk about bird makes me hungry. Never had eagle before, seem reasonable enough. But those chicken sure do sound ripe. That much chicken fat, it is stew time.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a pair of Eagles nesting somewhere nearby and flying overhead fairly often. Unfortunately they have not discovered the hoard of bunnies that are eating my plants and bushes. Fingers crossed that any kind of predators show up.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silly eagles, bunnies have to be tasty.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Remember all, Benjamin Franklin wanted the Wild Turkey to be our national symbol. Maybe good that didn't happen or a bunch of us would be in jail at Thanksgiving.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Remember all, Benjamin Franklin wanted the Wild Turkey to be our national symbol. Maybe good that didn't happen or a bunch of us would be in jail at Thanksgiving.

Ah, that's hilarious!! I wrote nearly those identical words about a week back before choosing to not add the post.

Yeah, you gotta wonder how the U.S. of A. would have turned out being a nation full of turkeys. :laughing9:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I'm glad your chicks are ok. 6 years ago the Authorities here Boston imported 24 Peregrine Falcons and placed them in different parts of the City because we had a MAJOR problem with rats and pigeons. Well the problem was that after they te something they would leave the carcass where it landed. ON TOP OF EVERYONE"S ROOFS. The People here squaked so the Authorities tried to "relocate" them. No luck. Problem with the rats and pigeons solved but the Falcons are now everywhere. I sit on my back porch and watch them hunt everyday. Beautiful bird. They still have not stopped the roof problem. :laughing7: The skyscrapers are covered with the carcasses. The people are now resigned to having them. Case Closed.!!! :laughing7: PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bad news. I had to go out early to get a plumbing thing from Home Depot on Sunday. I stopped and got a soda and an apple for the hens, they love them. So I lean over, the girls are just figuring out it's morning and start out of their house to greet me and one of the Rhode Island Reds isn't getting up. Crud. So I went to the back and opened up the house and she had passed away in her sleep. Was laying there all fluffy, not a feather out of place. Little head laying off to the side. I buried her next to one of my cats. The others seem oblivious to what's going on. They got the apple later on in the day. That one was the biggest Red, named Big Red. So the next day I texted my youngest daughter to let her know Big Red died early Sunday morning. So she texts back "what did you do to the car now?" I uh, also call my fire engine red Impala "Big Red". RIP Big Red.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the lost of Big Red. I hope that your other ladies are just fine. Keep in touch.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry you lost Red. I just lost one of my reds too.

The record for the oldest chicken is 16 yo. (Guinness records).

I wouldn't eat any of my hens beyond a year old, I put one in the crock pot and the meat fell off the bone. Trouble was, that meat was tough as shoe leather! Makes a good taco meat substitute if ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread