University of British Columbia study says dogs hate our hugs...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I HAVE NEVER HEARD A BIGGER LOAD OF CRAP ! ! !

I read about "why" they say this... and they are so far off and wrong it is not funny...
Where the hell do these guys come from ?

I hug my dogs while being loved... IN WHICH they paw me for more and more... in fact IF I did not hug my dogs they will paw me to do so.

My dogs ears perk up when they get excited... Hear something... get angry ... OR other sudden and AKA stressed out situation.

The statement was made that the study conclusions were made from studying the aspects of dogs in PHOTOS ! heh
One word... SHEESH !
Um...
IF you see a pic of a kid hugging a dog and its ears are down... IT IS NOT STRESSED... IT IS SUBMISSIVE !

Damn people and their "studies"... If I had a dollar for everything I heard from a study that was later discounted. heh

One of the signs of "the dog being stressed"... is "ears down"... What a load of serious crap.
What MAY apply to one dog MAY NOT apply to another... and to generalize like this is idiotic.

Stuff like this really pisses me off... for some dork somewhere is actually getting paid for spewing this type of bullcrap.
And what's even worse is... the SHEEPLE will actually believe this pork head.

I would ask for the grant money back. heh

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2016/04/your-dog-hates-hugs.html

Last edited:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
He's just upset because dogs don't like him ... and no wonder! Dogs are great judges of character ... and better company than that ID10T who wrote the article.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know ... I know... many of you are probably wondering why this would set me off...
Simple...
I picture people believing this crap and stop hugging their dogs because they don't want to stress them out.
Poor dogs.
NOW they WILL feel something that WILL stress them out... a form of distanced rejection.

This... makes me very sad... For my dogs... ARE my kids... and if I stopped giving them a hug... they would think they did something wrong.

Sheesh my dogs go under your arms to GET hugged and close.
They are lovers. :)

Last edited:

always diggin

Feb 9, 2016
Mo
Detector(s) used
F2; F44; Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn people and their "studies bet they don't even own a dog..

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok... I am done...

And I feel much better .... :)

:P

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like Stanley Coren had a childhood dog that scared up his leg with the occasional horny male sneak attack; and as a child he was confused and would reach down for it to give it a hug and Brutus would snap back.

I wonder how much Federal Grant Funds where wasted on that study.

I have 2 Kangal's, both are retired service K9's; those two need more affection than any of my 4 kids. When I get home after a long week of traveling, my family stands back until my dogs are done because if they do not get their first then they act all pissy and will ignore me and whom ever was first. The same goes for when my kids get home from school, if they do not acknowledge them first off then they ignore for a day.

When neighborhood kids pass by that do not fear their size, they say hello and pet them. We have about 20 kids that the dogs know very well and it makes their day when the kids pass by and say hello. But when the parents of the kids pass by with their kids for the first time and their kids say hello and pet them, the parents always say something along the lines of get back from them. Most parents see they are harmless happy dogs, but I did have one father tell me once that my breed of dogs was on the ban list for Germany. Which I told him I know, he said that he would call the police on me for owning naturally aggressive animals and have them taken away and put to sleep.

I told him that just because a few owners of this breed some where in the world mis-cared for them and treated them bad does not make all Kangal's aggressive. I told him they where retired police dogs and completely trained, and loved being around children and bad guys. He told me that he would poison them, then I informed him that if my dogs ever got sick I would abuse my powers and use all the contacts I have to go out of my way to make his life very stressful.

He actually called the local police and thought he was in the right and even told them he threaten to have them put to sleep and threatened to poison them. The German Cops just stood there looking at the guy like you must be really dumb for telling us this stuff; one of the cops had a K9 partner and he really was not amused. The police took his statement and warned him that nothing better happen to these retired cops at all, and then told him that the State Attorney's would be sending him a letter soon.

That one cop who works with dogs then came in and played for a minute with them. My dogs thought they where in heaven meeting a new friend, he took to them well, but had also lost his partner just a few months before to some junky they arrested.

Dogs love hugs, dogs love human affection.

Whats next, another 2 million dollar federal grant to say dogs do not like meat, or they hate being outside. I mean seriously, that must have been a very hard sell, I would rank this one up there with Obama was born in the US, or that Terrorist are just misunderstood people going through a hard time with no one to listen.

housemom6

Jun 7, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My poodle hugs me first. She's the cutest baby girl. I'd you don't pay enough attention to her she gets demanding. Lol that's a load of💩

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dogs can NEVER be explained by people who are NOT dog people. Those of us who are privileged to be DOG people SPEAK dog. We instinctively know how are dogs are feeling. We can never explain this to people who don't get it. Many people own dogs, but only a minority are true dog people. I feel blessed, because I am one. I hug my dog all the time...and she loves it. I'm 67 years old. Heidi is my 11th dog. Sometimes I've owned them 2 or 3 at a time.
Jim

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dogs can NEVER be explained by people who are NOT dog people. Those of us who are privileged to be DOG people SPEAK dog. We instinctively know how are dogs are feeling. We can never explain this to people who don't get it. Many people own dogs, but only a minority are true dog people. I feel blessed, because I am one. I hug my dog all the time...and she loves it. I'm 67 years old. Heidi is my 11th dog. Sometimes I've owned them 2 or 3 at a time.
Jim

God bless you sir !

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I HAVE NEVER HEARD A BIGGER LOAD OF CRAP ! ! !

I read about "why" they say this... and they are so far off and wrong it is not funny...
Where the hell do these guys come from ?

I hug my dogs while being loved... IN WHICH they paw me for more and more... in fact IF I did not hug my dogs they will paw me to do so.

My dogs ears perk up when they get excited... Hear something... get angry ... OR other sudden and AKA stressed out situation.

The statement was made that the study conclusions were made from studying the aspects of dogs in PHOTOS ! heh
One word... SHEESH !
Um...
IF you see a pic of a kid hugging a dog and its ears are down... IT IS NOT STRESSED... IT IS SUBMISSIVE !

Damn people and their "studies"... If I had a dollar for everything I heard from a study that was later discounted. heh

One of the signs of "the dog being stressed"... is "ears down"... What a load of serious crap.
What MAY apply to one dog MAY NOT apply to another... and to generalize like this is idiotic.

Stuff like this really pisses me off... for some dork somewhere is actually getting paid for spewing this type of bullcrap.
And what's even worse is... the SHEEPLE will actually believe this pork head.

I would ask for the grant money back. heh

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2016/04/your-dog-hates-hugs.html

Two reasons for studies like that: (1) Publish or perish. At the university level you are expected to publish something in your field and (2) you got a grant (good money) to do a study of your choice or theirs. I guess a third reason is that the person really enjoys research and thinks they are making a difference. Trust me, this is how it works...

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welp... the education system is flawed... we all know that. heh

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look how stressed this dog is........

dog-ok-hug.jpg

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That study kinda reminds me of my daughter's vet that tried to tell us, "cats don't like milk."

Stupidity comes from all walks of life.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions