We are NOT just digging HOLES !

FISH BONE

Mar 25, 2016
LOUISIANA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was metal detecting yesterday in a spot that i have hunted several times but on this day a police officer stopped me from hunting and told me I couldn't be digging holds. I explained that i have already dug several hole that i have plug back and you couldn't find one if you looked around (said it very nicely and with respect). I explained that it's not just digging holes in the ground because it's returned in the same manner as it was when I got here but less trash so i actually leave the area better then when i got here. The officer was cool but still no digging, I just turned off my detector and made my way back to my truck in disappointment that i lost a great hunting area and that metal detecting is not a hobby that is destructive as some people on the outside would believe. I'm going to make a little video and put together a little info and go see if I can talk to someone at the town hall and maybe the mayor being that it is just a small town. Anyways Good Hunting! Thanks FISH

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's too bad. I feel for you as does anyone afflicted with our sickness. Were you out there early in the morning, at lunch?

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that officer plays golf, he would understand you're doing nothing more that what a greenskeeper does on a daily basis to manicured putting greens. You can't tell where the "hole" was the day before.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had an officer stop me from dirt fishing in the park down town one saturday before noon. I have hunted there several times since and the other officers do not mind. It was just one officer who took offense to the hobby. Good Luck

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I agree with Terry, that ... we feel for you. That's bogus. But let's be honest: A "man with a metal detector" does conjur up images of "holes" (even though, as you say, you leave no trace).

Therefore, if you go to city hall with a video , and try to clarify and over-turn, do you really think this debate of semantics will do any good ? You might just get that "no" to be official, rather than a single officer on a single day, of what could simply be a fluke.

What I mean is, I do not take every single "scram" as some sort of gospel law or new rule, that must be fought. Quite often, in the case of a cop, he may have just been responding to some mrs. lookie-lou who griped. And then, once there, has to justify his callout.

For example: I had the same thing happen , where, like your situation, the cop tried to usher us out. But we buttered him up with small talk (rather than tucking tail and leaving at first "scram"). And ... eventually, he softened up and said he was only there because a nosy-parker across the street had been eyeing us from her upstairs window. So he suggested to us to simply go to the other end of the park, out of her view.

Point is: What if I had left and rushed to city hall ? It could simply have gone downhill further, when , as you can see, they ARE often just fluke incidents. I mean, for this type "alter" or "deface" things anyhow (thus not counting for if there were an actual real "no md'ing" specific rule).

Why can't you just give it a rest, wait a few months, and go at better times ? If this is a turfed park, then to be honest with you: It's gotten to where I simply hunt turf only at dark nowadays. So peaceful. So serene. If I had to assume every single "scram" constituted new law, I would immediately be out of 20+ parks that ..... to this day, you can hunt till you're blue in the face with no problem. Thus meaning whatever incident might have happened in the past, was isolated fluke. Eg.: someone having a bad hair day. Someone responding to a call in (but perhaps they themselves could care less, etc...)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I had an officer stop me from dirt fishing in the park down town one saturday before noon. I have hunted there several times since and the other officers do not mind. It was just one officer who took offense to the hobby. Good Luck

This ^ ^ As his situation also shows: Sometimes you simply catch someone in a bad mood. OH SURE give "lip service". Not saying defy him and keep going. And sure, give it a break so it's forgotten .

Hunter101

Feb 24, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/Garrett Ace 350/Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an officer tell me to go home and play video games like normal children. My thoughts... Do I really look like a teenager and I don't like video games. Lol

Another said I'm vandalizing the park. I respectfully said that the officer would have to tell the people slack-lining they needed to leave too because that is more damaging to the tree than a shovel is to grass.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
...Another said I'm vandalizing the park. I respectfully said that the officer would have to tell the people slack-lining they needed to leave too because that is more damaging to the tree than a shovel is to grass.

Hunter, do you know what the difference is between those slack-liners in your city, versus a lot of md'rs ? The slack-liners didn't ask "can I?". Whereas a lot of md'rs do feel that's their/our obligation. If they had asked, they too could get a "no". And then start forums lamenting their lack of freedoms.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Re.: the comparison to slacklining, that "might" harm something:

My city had a big fight about slack-lining, back when that tight-rope agility hobby thing just got popular. The city went to forbid it. And a fight ensued with parents backing their kids. How could the city be such kill-joys ??

Here's why: True story: A mom (bless her little heart) had gone to the city hall asking if this was permissible/ok. For her son to be stringing a rope between 2 trees, and tight-rope walking (as the young kid had seen done on youtube videos). The city bounced her from desk to desk, till finally, her "pressing question" landed on the arborist' desk. He said "no". Concerned that the ropes could damage the tree bark (yeah right). Thus the council meetings now tackled the push back, blah blah blah. The newspaper covered that story, and eventually, some compromises were reached (they had to use rubber cushions, blah blah). That part was covered by the paper fairly well. But what no one ever seemed to ask themselves is: Why is this even an issue to begin with ?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re.: the comparison to slacklining, that "might" harm something:

My city had a big fight about slack-lining, back when that tight-rope agility hobby thing just got popular. The city went to forbid it. And a fight ensued with parents backing their kids. How could the city be such kill-joys ??

Here's why: True story: A mom (bless her little heart) had gone to the city hall asking if this was permissible/ok. For her son to be stringing a rope between 2 trees, and tight-rope walking (as the young kid had seen done on youtube videos). The city bounced her from desk to desk, till finally, her "pressing question" landed on the arborist' desk. He said "no". Concerned that the ropes could damage the tree bark (yeah right). Thus the council meetings now tackled the push back, blah blah blah. The newspaper covered that story, and eventually, some compromises were reached (they had to use rubber cushions, blah blah). That part was covered by the paper fairly well. But what no one ever seemed to ask themselves is: Why is this even an issue to begin with ?

I always appreciate your posts on this topic Mr. _in_CA.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go back there on a holiday. Cops are spread way too thin during those days to bother with diggers. Memorial Day weekend and the 4th of July aren't that far away.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; This probably happened a Tom-in-CA said. That either a cop just happened to pass by with nothing better to do or some old hag had nothing better to do. I had the cops stop me once because they got a call from someone who told them "I was stealing the grass". True story. The cop who responded was none other than my uncle. After a good laugh and a few minutes I kept digging. Don't get scared away because of one cop there on a fluke chance he might probably want to possibly be curious at first then for lack of nothing else to do decides on a whim to act official ok. Don't go running to City Hall. THAT is asking for trouble ok. Just go on a different day. PEACE:RONB

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
My response is "I'm not digging, I'm cutting a neat flap." That usually changes the conversation. A cut in the turf is no different than what an aerator does....

Skippy, I have seen posts from folks who, like your post here, draw distinctions of word definitions, to get around laws (or griping person) that deal with "dig". So for example, they might say "I'm popping the coin out, not 'digging' " Because in their mind's eye, if you probe around with a screwdriver, and weasle the target out of a "slit", then technically, you have not dug.

And other words like "flap" and so forth, thinking this will deflect a lookie-lou griper, or get around some verbage in park rules, etc...

But let's be perfectly honest here: This will fall on deaf ears to a lot of gripers. They will simply not listen and still think they can usher you on. HECK: I bet that if you WEREN'T EVEN STOOPED DOWN on a target (and were merely swinging the detector), they can STILL gripe (because they think you might be about to dig or probe or pop or whatever you want to call it). Ie.: the mere fact of swinging can conjure up connotations, that are outside the semantics debate altogether.

So for me, I just go at low traffic times (even at night if need-be), and avoid any such conversation from the git-go :)

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe he had his own detector and you were on his turf. Sometimes I'll dig weeds up so the lawns are in better shape when I leave. I hate dandelions.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't carry a digger! I use a screw driver or something similar with a blunt tip.Once you get use to it. You can get very accurate with it. Then if a cop or someone sees you? you are poking around for surface finds. That's when I was at schools or ball fields. Most were in the center and just under grass from the coin tosses. Anyhow, it's not digging holes, and as far as I know? I believe surface finds are legal in most places. It also doesn't look as "scary" when your palming a medium sized screw driver. Kind of hard to accuse you of digging. People don't even look twice. A shovel or digger? They assume holes!

I didn't read all replies, maybe someone has already mentioned this.

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry to hear about your experience with a local police officer. I have many permits from numerous Counties in NY State. Regardless of whether a permit is issued or not, if a police officer says you must stop what you doing, then you must follow his instructions. My NYC metal detecting permit gives me access to 162 parks and 15 beaches spread out over 5 Counties. If the Park Enforcement Police, a Park Ranger, or NYPD, tells me I must stop, then it is up to me to produce my permit and ask them why? If they still insist that I stop my activity, then it is my reponsibility to stop. It is also my responsibility to get their name and badge / employee I.D. numbers. This information will be forwarded to The Task Force For Metal Detecting Rights Foundation. It is because of the Task Force For Metal Detecting Rights Foundation that we have permits in the first place. I have been a member for quite some time and have supported them on numerous occasions across the United States. Membership is free. They also have an excellent Self Certification Plug Digging Video.
I would also suggest using the following format to find out if the Municipality where your park is located, has a policy that deals with metal detecting. I usually send it via email to the Director/Superintendent in charge of The Parks and Recreation Department in the City / Town where I am seeking permission.
Dear Sir (s),
I will be visiting (Name) County in June and July of 2016.
I would like to know if the recreational use of a metal detector is permitted in the parks in the Town / City of (Name)
Respectfully,
Your name
If you get a positive response from the authorities, carry a copy of that email, as it is nows serves as your permit. You can show it to any police officer / park employees if confronted.
If you get a negative response, forward that email and your experience with the police officer to TheTask Force For Metal Detecting Rights Foundation.
Good luck buddy and don't give up.

Last edited:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just happened to me this morning - 8:00AM

Detecting at an old lot that I have permission for. First 15 minutes I'm there, a guy pulls up and asks what I'm doing. I politely say I'm metal detecting. He says "Not on this property your not" I say "Yes, on this property" He says "who gave you permission"? I say - The principle of the school who owns the property. He cowers back into his car and leaves.
I just have to say - In the old days people would be nice and ask what I'm doing out of curiosity and then say "GOOD LUCK" Now-a-days everyone's a Frickin Applehole. What changed in society? It still ruins my day when a jerk comes up to me, because I want so badly to say "Who the hell are you to question me anyway" Then I would like to roundhouse kick them in the head, throw an Americana arm-bar on them and then elbow smash them in the face a couple times. :thumbsup: Of-Course I don't, because I don't want to give metal detecting a bad name or end up in the clink for a few days........................

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stop at Dunkin Donuts and grab a dozen before you start and keep it in plain view at all times.

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen the police pull over and watch me while I'm in local parks, I see them on their radio and then they leave. I know our town doesn't have any ordinances about metal detecting and they've never bothered me. Little boys on the other hand, what a pain!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions