Thoughts on our hobby

Hunter101

Feb 24, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/Garrett Ace 350/Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if you feel the same but there are some very negative vibes coming from people who don't understand this hobby. Some of the examples are as follows:

"it's a waste of time"
"Do a normal hobby like soccer or fishing"
"You are vandalizing public areas"
"You are never going to make a living or even pay off your machine. It's a waste of money"

I'm just curious as to why people dislike it so much. Even my friends who are always hunting, hiking, and camping complain. What are your thoughts?

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love it! The thrill of what's in the ground! I dig everything, I can't walk away from even a blip until I find it!:laughing7:

Have I made enough to pay for my machine? Probably, but I've had the same one since the late 90's. And I go through spirts, may not go for a year, then one day get the bug again and go everyday until I get bored again.:laughing7:

None of my friends had an interest after a few times of going. They got bored.

It's no more a waste of time than playing poker or working on and sinking money into a race car or any car project, they never recover their money from those. And the list is long of hobbies money is never recovered from.

If you find it fun and interesting? Who cares! I got the same slack from friends when I collected antiques and worked on old watches in my 20's they would laugh and say "that's an old man's hobby". :laughing7: But I had fun!

Alot of my friends were into video games too, even to this day in their late 30's. I think detecting is more fun than that! You just never know what you will find!

Just some rambling thoughts!:laughing7:

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if you feel the same but there are some very negative vibes coming from people who don't understand this hobby. Some of the examples are as follows:

"it's a waste of time"
"You are never going to make a living or even pay off your machine. It's a waste of money"

I'm just curious as to why people dislike it so much. Even my friends who are always hunting, hiking, and camping complain. What are your thoughts?

Those folks don't have to understand us or our hobby........the important point is that we get it.

It is our time to do with as we choose.
And, (as an example) a "normal' hobby is driving little metal pegs into the side of a cliff or mountain and climbing 100s or 1000s of feet into the air without a net?
I/we always clean the littler from the areas I/we search as well as our own trash finds, helping the environment of public recreational areas.
Nope.....won't make a living MDing (neither will a hiker, fisherman, sportsman, etc. hobbyist), but I have paid off my detector in less than 6 months.

And, just show them a few of your more interesting treasures...........they will be considerably more impressive than their picture and story of the "big catch"............
Then explain that you are reclaiming and preserving a small part of societal history.....from the currency we used to the small toys that helped fuel the imaginations of the youth of that era..............

Last edited:

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're just jealous of my pull tab collection and hate it when their kids don't listen and follow me instead of them. I really don't care what people think. I love putting on my headphones and blocking out the world. A friend of mine has a 13 year old boy and he was teasing me and telling me it's dumb and wondered why I do it, I texted him pictures of my finds, now he's bugging his parents to buy him one. :laughing7:

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT PRO, EXCALIBUR, and E-TRAC, have all paid for themselves.
That's nice, but it's not why I am into this hobby.
I get some comments once in awhile that probably deserve a backhand or a response like, "Go get a life."
I also get some compliments and sincere questions from people who have a genuine interest or curiosity.
I have joined groups like "The Lost My Stuff Group, " Where I responded to, recovered, and returned, a few Gold Wedding Bands. Not all searches were successful but just the willingness to search for a lost item, (for free), has left a positive impression on those people that I have tried to help.
I have met others through metal detecting forums who do understand the passion that we have for this hobby. I have befriended and shared hunts with some of them. Good clean fun and enjoyable experiences. I'm not hurting anyone or breaking any laws.
No matter how deeply involved or even how long you participate in a hobby that encompasses all aspects of treasure hunting, , there will always be the nay sayers. I have learned to accept that and not waste my time and energy trying to convince them that the use of a metal detector is the best hobby in the world.
I try to gravitate towards people who extend warmth instead of criticism. That is also how I try to treat others who enjoy this hobby.

In the summer when I tend to put on a wet suit and hunt a public beach, I have to pass through the crowds to get to the parking lot.
I am often asked the question, "How much gold did you find today??" I will often respond, "Man, I think I'm going to take up golf!!"

Last edited:

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are my answers just below yours in Italics. I tell them-------
"it's a waste of time"
No I'm relaxing and getting exercise.
Oh, I do hunt, fish, hike in the woods and work on small engines and it's all for fun and exercise.
No you are wrong, look in my bag at the trash I've gathered, How much trash have you picked up today?
I'm retired and have already made my living. The machine has paid for itself long ago.
Thanks Hunter101 for posting how I answer.
Marvin

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other

"it's a waste of time"

Just let them hate all they want. I know I do.

I was even investigated by our Internal Investigation Division once for living above my means. I was able to clear it up with legal proof in about 2 days, then senior investigator really picked my brain hard as to what machine he should get and how he should start.

I think it was then when Interpol understood that most of their field Teams take an MD every place we go.

Just let them hate, it is more treasure for you.

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a beach and water hunter, I don't encourage others with what I find. I tell friends and the curious its for my health and sanity....I usually find enough for the parking meter and a Big Mac. SS

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm walking along in the surf looking for free gold. I pause in my steps and go pee. Continue the hunt.

Nobody notices.

How many other hobbies can you go pee right in the middle with out causing chaos?

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
. Some of the examples are as follows:

It's a waste of time?

It's my time and I will use it as I see fit.

Do a normal hobby like soccer or fishing?

That's for normal people. What made you think I was normal.

You are never going to make a living or something at my off your machine. It's a waste of money.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I would finish but battery is low. Never been spoken to that way regarding detecting

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get new friends..

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seems that some people, on a level they won't admit to, are apprehensive that we may find something that they can't, even though they'd never lift a finger to try. It's kinda like the people who won't educate themselves and try for a better paying job, but sit around *****in about the rich people.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shhhhh....Were all in the best secret society there is. Let's keep it that way! [emoji106]

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tell people I was hired by the city because parking meter revenues are down, some actually believe it, go figure.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get new friends..

I second that one. I have a good friend who is into slot car racing in the winter months when he cannot get outdoors and do his other hobbies. I haven't touched slot cars since I was a little kid, but I cheerfully look at his car and track pictures he shares with me and generally say "cool" about his experiences with that hobby. He does the same with me and MD, although I don't think he's ever tried it or given it much consideration.

Skippy SH13's comments about how "finding" stuff usually means someone else "lost" that stuff at one time is probably also part of the perception. That thought has crossed my mind before.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't worry about what other people think of my hobby, I have found more than enough diamond rings and other gold rings to pay for every single thing I have ever bought for the hobby twice over.............

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always keep some good relic photos on my iPhone. Even a "live dig" video clip or two to show people how we pull a plug, then repair the ground. If the subject comes up and I start getting questions, I simply show them some of my best finds and how I go about recovering them. All the cynical questions are then replaced by, "Wow, that's cool" "Where did you find that?" "I didn't even know there was such a thing as a Large Cent" "You found this huge gold ring in a park!?" so forth, and so on. Before you know it, they are asking me things like, "What metal detector would you recommend for a beginner?"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions