Those fish stories

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-x2, fisher cz3d and cz 20, tesoro golden sabre II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On another forum besides treasurenet not dedicated to metal detecting, a member posted this.

"If you decide to buy a metal detector, go with a White's. They're top of the line. My White's is well over 40 years old; The new one's actually discriminates coins.
My White's is the old analog, but the new ones are digital.

Unless deliberately buried, most coins that were dropped, rarely hit more than a few inches deep ( two or three inches ). The oldest coin I found was at the site of Fort Franklin, near South Tamaqua; and it was about 7 inches down ( dated 1761 ). My old Whites has]two loops ( and a headset ); and it will detect a dime at 14 or 15 inches deep.

Believe it or not, cemeteries are good places to dig. I mean on the surface. Can't go in with a backhoe. Just a trowel & replace the divots
."

When I expressed skepticism that his well-over-40-yr-old-detector would sound off on a 14" dime, he responded....

"It still works great, will pick up a dime at one foot or more. It's paid for itself many times over. Also has a ferrous discriminator."

Here's a pic of a Compass 1973 Yukon...

5057.jpg

I think Whites made a Coinmaster 4B at that time.

I doubt it could detect a dime at 14". I had a whites 4000d many yrs ago and 7" on a quarter in perfect ground was about it's limit.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That compass brings back memories ! I dug thousands of pull tabs and nails with that damn thing in the 1970s :laughing7:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Skeptical" is a good word. Although my G & G Wildcat was pretty deep on coins!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a Whites 6000-D series 2 Detector is over 40 years old.
I dug a 1812 Large Cent at approximately 8" to 10"
here in My town in the 70's. with a Whites 6000-D series 2 .
I knew the detectors sounds so well The Whisper I got made me dig, & dig & at the point I doubted myself,
I dug a little deeper, & it Popped out.

So Yes I believe him on that.

a dime at 14 or 15 inches deep ? not with my ears :tongue3:

& for the record, Even with My sovereign & Explorer SE,
I have one spot I worked in rows with the old Whites .
and cannot find even 1 Coin I missed .
may have been because all the Oldies were Shallow, Or may have been I knew that Whites so Well :dontknow:

would I go Back to it ? only in super trashy areas & under metal Bleachers.
The Older Whites do not go Crazy over Small nails, Bits of Foil, or Even metal Bars nearby. but todays detectors grab it all.

I have spots I can no longer hunt because of too much sensitivity.

when I sold my Whites for $100.00 approximately 10 years ago I told the Buyers I would buy it back for $100 any time. Yes I think I still would if it is still in working order.

Last edited:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I started detecting in 1968. I have used just about every type of detector there was. The Whites detectors back then had no Disc and were good for 6" at best. Then they came out with the first TR type detectors which were good for 8" at best. There is NO WAY that guy would ever find a dime at 14" EVER. His sounds like Whites TR type detector. I'm not sure which one though. My opinion is he is nuts ok. PEACE:RONB

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I started detecting in 1968. I have used just about every type of detector there was. The Whites detectors back then had no Disc and were good for 6" at best. Then they came out with the first TR type detectors which were good for 8" at best. There is NO WAY that guy would ever find a dime at 14" EVER. His sounds like Whites TR type detector. I'm not sure which one though. My opinion is he is nuts ok. PEACE:RONB

I never used my TR mode on My Series 2 . I stuck to G.E.B. MAX
my understanding TR was only good in Sand

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And he detects cemeteries? Bad Mojo...

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• cgwildcat (2).jpg
    cgwildcat (2).jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
eddiecurrent

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-x2, fisher cz3d and cz 20, tesoro golden sabre II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tent camp at highland hammock twice a yr..the two spots at the furthest end of the campground are the best.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
I tent camp at highland hammock twice a yr..the two spots at the furthest end of the campground are the best.

i never camped there i lived in sebring for 3yr
a water moccasin scared the chit out of me, dropped Md
from the boat in 3-4 foot of murky, came back to what i
thought was the spot, with a heavy rake couldnt find it
i think the name was,hows creek

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jeff; Yup, The GEB Max came out after the TR type did. I guess I'm going a bit farther back in detecting time than what your talking about. I used them all back then. PEACE:RONB

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First one I used would have been mid to late 60's
that was a generic detector my Grandmother used in Florida.

My personal first worked through an AM radio on the handle

2.jpg

2nd

3.jpg

3rd

4.JPG

Then I went to Minelab.
Never looked back.
No brand has given me reason to.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless deliberately buried, most coins that were dropped, rarely hit more than a few inches deep ( two or three inches )

Really? I find coins 6 to 8 inches deep on a regular basis. I found a 1980 dime 9 inches down the other day. Sorry, but this guy is clueless.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And he detects cemeteries? Bad Mojo

He's openly admitting to a crime and giving all detectorists a bad rep at the same time. Nice...

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting the place he mentioned is not a crime around here and back in the day I did some with full blessings from the pastors of the church grounds where I did so. NOBODY whined or complained about it. My old Garrett "Zero Drift" BFO would find coins at 8" but most coins around here are not that deep even if they've been in the ground for 250 years unless the ground has been landscaped and soil added. Like Jeff, I have revisited some of the old honey spots with modern machines and found little to no coins, the old BFO sucked them all up.

TXPIRATE

Aug 21, 2003
S.E. TEXAS
Detector(s) used
" Bounty Hunter IV Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My old Jetco Mustang was good for a penny under dust. But lord how that set a 9 year old mine a racing. 52 now and still have that treasure fever.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread