Ticked off.

Sherpat

Feb 3, 2016
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a frustrating time this has been for me, at least when it comes to metal detecting. Up where I live the nighttime temperatures are still cold enough that the ground remains frozen an inch or so under the surface, and the few times it's warmed enough for a thaw it's been so muddy in the woods around my house as to make digging impossible. As I just got my first ever detector for Christmas, and found a nice ring on my first - and so far only - foray out, it's doubly frustrating still not being able to use the thing.

But that's neither here nor there, really. I just wanted to blow off some steam.

The real point of this post is this: last week when I went out again to check the conditions in my woods, I came home to find several deer ticks working their way up my pants...and one in my scalp. I had my pants legs tucked into my socks, wore a long sleeve shirt and a hat, and sprayed my clothing with a DEET spray (Deep Woods Off). Ok, that all kept the mosquitoes off me, but ticks are a far more serious matter up here. I can see where, once we get enough warm nights that the grounds here become more welcoming, I'm gonna be facing swarms of the buggers if I'll be out for a couple of hours on end.

Anyone here have any good tips for avoiding these Lyme, malaria, sleeping sickness, Dreaded Lurgy, etc., carrying pests? Any good commercially available products you've found? Strategies that work?

Thanks very much! Hope you're not bugged by this :)

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
The most efficient removal method includes the use of tweezers or forceps.
It is important to remove the entire tick, including its embedded mouth parts.
Source:
http://www.orkin.com/other/ticks/deer-ticks/
Don.......

OP
OP
Sherpat

Sherpat

Feb 3, 2016
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
The most efficient removal method includes the use of tweezers or forceps.
It is important to remove the entire tick, including its embedded mouth parts.
Source:
http://www.orkin.com/other/ticks/deer-ticks/
Don.......

Thanks Don, for the welcome and for the info.

I'm more wondering though if anyone has tips for repelling them BEFORE they attach themselves to my body. But I appreciate the link - that's all good to know :thumbsup:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Move to a part of the country above 9,000 ft. in elevation. They don't seem to hang real well here.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been reading up on this also, the higher ups say that if you take garlic pills [before hiking out in tick infested areas] the ticks will stay off you. What ive read states that ticks hate garlic, the garlic pills are sold over the counter at many stores. Maybe a clove or 3 in your pockets also----worth a try

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive been reading up on this also, the higher ups say that if you take garlic pills [before hiking out in tick infested areas] the ticks will stay off you. What ive read states that ticks hate garlic, the garlic pills are sold over the counter at many stores. Maybe a clove or 3 in your pockets also----worth a try

Vampires hate garlic too! Lol
I'm so lucky? I've literally pulled hundreds of ticks off me over the years and no limes ! You just have to be vigilant! Check yourself often , remove and wash clothes immediately after exposure!
If you mindlessly ignore your exposure to ticks then you are going to get limes! And that's a fact .... Jack!

Now let's discuss Chiggers!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I eat a lot of garlic and use products containing a lot of deet its not health food I try to keep it off my skin but it does work best

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another is eucalyptus oil---ticks hate the smell :icon_thumleft:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a frustrating time this has been for me, at least when it comes to metal detecting. Up where I live the nighttime temperatures are still cold enough that the ground remains frozen an inch or so under the surface, and the few times it's warmed enough for a thaw it's been so muddy in the woods around my house as to make digging impossible. As I just got my first ever detector for Christmas, and found a nice ring on my first - and so far only - foray out, it's doubly frustrating still not being able to use the thing.

But that's neither here nor there, really. I just wanted to blow off some steam.

The real point of this post is this: last week when I went out again to check the conditions in my woods, I came home to find several deer ticks working their way up my pants...and one in my scalp. I had my pants legs tucked into my socks, wore a long sleeve shirt and a hat, and sprayed my clothing with a DEET spray (Deep Woods Off). Ok, that all kept the mosquitoes off me, but ticks are a far more serious matter up here. I can see where, once we get enough warm nights that the grounds here become more welcoming, I'm gonna be facing swarms of the buggers if I'll be out for a couple of hours on end.

Anyone here have any good tips for avoiding these Lyme, malaria, sleeping sickness, Dreaded Lurgy, etc., carrying pests? Any good commercially available products you've found? Strategies that work?

Thanks very much! Hope you're not bugged by this :)

Here in Tennessee this is what I do.... I overkill it! We have ticks, chiggers, and seed ticks (the worse) and a lot of other insect critters. Before I enter the woods to do whatever during most warm weather... here's my routine and it works good (BELIEVE ME.... I'VE LEARNED).

I go out onto my deck barefooted. I spray my feet / lower legs with Off or any good spray. Then I put on my socks and repeat. Then I put on my shoes (usually tennis shoes) and spray again along with my outer pant legs then. Then I spray the rest of me as best as possible (Buy stock in deet).

When I come home the clothes go into the washing machine and I walk naked though the home and hit the nearest shower. Take a scrubbing pad for pots and pans and UTILIZE IT upon yourself if you feel even slightly violated (draw blood). :laughing7:

I have been so lased with seed ticks before that I thought I'd never survive. Just go scrub to the bleeding stage.... Grab an old rag.... Soak with 100% bleach and get to wiping "everywhere". You'll feel better soon after. But you'll have to "man up" after the bleeding stage and the bleach followup.

This is NOT A JOKE.... it works.

Last edited:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's only way to kill those nasty ticks - it's a sliver through the heart!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Start with reading ingredients and cautions in Sawyer brand Permethrin spray.
Your local(?) farm supply store will usually carry Permethrin but at a higher content and you will need to dilute it.

Carry duct tape wrapped around something that will fit in a pocket.
Lift tape up and stick on a tick if spotted, then fold it back in place.
A friend I gifted a bottle treated his and company's cloths in a high tick area and even the locals were wanting to know what was working so well.

Mind the cautions though ,especially pets while it dries and maybe to be sure ,treat one item of clothing and test it by wearing it a while and being sure it does not bother you.
I've not heard of any issues but would not want you having any out on a hunt...

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told to try purell, just rub it all over your skin before you go out. I haven't tried it yet. A doctor told me to try this a while back. I walked through the woods in AL and had hundreds of real tiny ticks on me from head to toe!I do not want to go through that again!!!! Nasty!!!!! I'm guessing these are what limitool is calling seed ticks! Originally from Ohio I'd get one here or there. But down here???????? You can't mow the yard without looking like you were attacked by something! Little bity bugs on everything!:laughing7:

OP
OP
Sherpat

Sherpat

Feb 3, 2016
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Move to a part of the country above 9,000 ft. in elevation. They don't seem to hang real well here.

Great idea! Might make my morning commute a tad longer, but small price to pay, right?

OP
OP
Sherpat

Sherpat

Feb 3, 2016
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hmmm. I gotta say, as a card carrying Sicilian-American, garlic already comprises 30% of my diet. I don't know if my wife can stand any more. Maybe I'll rub a few cut cloves over my shoes and see if that helps. Thanks for that....unexpected....suggestion :)

OP
OP
Sherpat

Sherpat

Feb 3, 2016
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Tennessee this is what I do.... I overkill it! We have ticks, chiggers, and seed ticks (the worse) and a lot of other insect critters. Before I enter the woods to do whatever during most warm weather... here's my routine and it works good (BELIEVE ME.... I'VE LEARNED).

I go out onto my deck barefooted. I spray my feet / lower legs with Off or any good spray. Then I put on my socks and repeat. Then I put on my shoes (usually tennis shoes) and spray again along with my outer pant legs then. Then I spray the rest of me as best as possible (Buy stock in deet).

When I come home the clothes go into the washing machine and I walk naked though the home and hit the nearest shower. Take a scrubbing pad for pots and pans and UTILIZE IT upon yourself if you feel even slightly violated (draw blood). :laughing7:

I have been so lased with seed ticks before that I thought I'd never survive. Just go scrub to the bleeding stage.... Grab an old rag.... Soak with 100% bleach and get to wiping "everywhere". You'll feel better soon after. But you'll have to "man up" after the bleeding stage and the bleach followup.

This is NOT A JOKE.... it works.

Hey, thanks very much for taking the time to pass all that along! I will certainly heed your advice based on experience, and not treat it as a joke. Much appreciated!

....and I'm married. I feel MORE than "slightly" violated on a regular basis :censored:

(BTW, the wife and I honeymooned in Sequatchie. You live in a gorgeous state!)

OP
OP
Sherpat

Sherpat

Feb 3, 2016
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start with reading ingredients and cautions in Sawyer brand Permethrin spray.
Your local(?) farm supply store will usually carry Permethrin but at a higher content and you will need to dilute it.

Carry duct tape wrapped around something that will fit in a pocket.
Lift tape up and stick on a tick if spotted, then fold it back in place.
A friend I gifted a bottle treated his and company's cloths in a high tick area and even the locals were wanting to know what was working so well.

Mind the cautions though ,especially pets while it dries and maybe to be sure ,treat one item of clothing and test it by wearing it a while and being sure it does not bother you.
I've not heard of any issues but would not want you having any out on a hunt...

Thanks very much for those tips! I like the duct tape trick a lot - that's a keeper. And I'll check for Permathrin. Believe it or not, despite our reputation NJ has lots of farms and farm supply stores. Thanks again for all that, it's very much appreciated :occasion14:

OP
OP
Sherpat

Sherpat

Feb 3, 2016
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome>!

You might try the anti-tick clothing lines... Deet is about as good as it gets.

Thanks! They're a little on the pricey side for my budget, at least the ones I've seen. But if it comes down to it and nothing else works, that's what I may spring for.

OP
OP
Sherpat

Sherpat

Feb 3, 2016
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told to try purell, just rub it all over your skin before you go out. I haven't tried it yet. A doctor told me to try this a while back. I walked through the woods in AL and had hundreds of real tiny ticks on me from head to toe!I do not want to go through that again!!!! Nasty!!!!! I'm guessing these are what limitool is calling seed ticks! Originally from Ohio I'd get one here or there. But down here???????? You can't mow the yard without looking like you were attacked by something! Little bity bugs on everything!:laughing7:

Haha! I feel your pain. Well, I hope you find something that works too! :icon_thumright:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm a firm believer in Permithin( or however the heck you spell it) as well. We usually leave our clothes in a black plastic garbage bag after they have been treated and only wash them a few times during the season. Welcome to Treasurenet by the way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions