ML EXCAL II
White's XLT
Tes Sand Shark
PI Surf Master
Garrett 350
Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all. First Time posting here. You would think the coil cable wire on the excal would hold up a bit better than it has. Spending 300 clams plus shipping for a new coil, just to replace a coil cable seems foolish to me. Some great ideas posted here, to include a replacement cable. However for about 8 clams, I purchased some extreme self- amalgamating tape (self-fusing), cleaned the cable, let it dry and wrapped the entire cable. So far so good. I plan to coat the cable in plasti dip for good measure. The tape is good up to 500 degrees and has UV protective qualities. I have had it out about 10 times since with no issues...who know maybe the cable would not have failed if I had not wrapped itafe than sorry. Pics below....wait...trying to figure out how to attaché pictures from IPad .

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kurtshalftrack

Greenie
Mar 16, 2016
Okinawa Japan
Detector(s) used
ML EXCAL II
White's XLT
Tes Sand Shark
PI Surf Master
Garrett 350
Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Forgot to add, the extreme tape can be purchased on Amazon or Home Depot . It is waterproof ...though I am not certain to what depth...I imagine at least 200 feet as it is rated to fix/repair radiator hoses and other high pressure hoses and pipes.I use mine consistently at 20 to 40 feet and have had no issues. Anyway if it works..I saved about 350 bucks...if it fails...my kids aren't going to thier first semester of college ...

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice fix! Let us know how it holds up. Unfortunately I think salt water just destroys everything. It could also be how you stored the detector among many things which caused those to crack. Sometimes my wetsuits have cracked in the winter just from the position they were in.

OP
OP
K

Kurtshalftrack

Greenie
Mar 16, 2016
Okinawa Japan
Detector(s) used
ML EXCAL II
White's XLT
Tes Sand Shark
PI Surf Master
Garrett 350
Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Adam,
Concur...while I always stored indoors, i did have the wire wrapped around the shaft with no slack . Nonetheless, I would expect a salt water machine rated to 200 feet, would have marine quality cables. Mine cracked after about 14 months...just out of warranty. Clearly salt water destroy most things, but this cable should have held up much better, I spear fish with a banded gun. The bands endure much worse and don't crack for years. I'll keep you posted.

OP
OP
K

Kurtshalftrack

Greenie
Mar 16, 2016
Okinawa Japan
Detector(s) used
ML EXCAL II
White's XLT
Tes Sand Shark
PI Surf Master
Garrett 350
Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So far, I am a big fan of the extreme tape. Like duct tape, the application for extreme tape make it a "must have" for the zombie apocalypse in the MD world.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions