Vallon VMC-1 + Military MD questions

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There is nothing those can do, that a civilian metal detector, of some stripe or kind, can't do.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is nothing those can do, that a civilian metal detector, of some stripe or kind, can't do.

I think he is designing a military display Tom.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The biggest problem you are going to have in designing and building your own detector is building it to Military Specs. I have a Schiebel MIMID. It is pulse induction, waterproof to 100 feet, foldable, and very rugged. I will post a pic of the motherboard later, and you can see that it was waaaay overbuilt. Uncle Sam paid about $3500 EACH for them.

https://schiebel.net/products/mimid/

The biggest problems with Ex-Military Mine Detectors is that the have no warranty, and people that can work on them are few and far between. The exceptions are if you buy Minelab F1 or a Garrett AML-1000 (Recon-Pro).

If you are building a military use display, let me know the parameters you need, and I will see if I can find something suitable, or show me what you have and tell me what you want it to do. I spent 14 years in both the US Navy and the US Army jumping out of airplanes, and working with electronic communications equipment........ oh, and blowing crap up! ;-)

Best of Luck - Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MikeyBugs

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm actually not looking to buy one of these (although it wouldn't hurt, heh) but I'm also not designing a military display. I'm drawing a scaled design of this detector for military scale modelers to use. It will be in 1/35.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some pics of the motherboard in my Schiebel MIMID:

IMG_0105.JPG IMG_0106.JPG IMG_0108.JPG

All epoxied with a combination of through-hole and surface mount components. Top Notch Craftsmanship!

Mike

OP
OP
M

MikeyBugs

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok? Looks nice but not what I'm looking for..

OP
OP
M

MikeyBugs

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is anyone able to help with measurements of the detector?

OP
OP
M

MikeyBugs

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am trying to do a model. It's a scale model in 1/35. People have been asking me to do this so they could use it in 1/35 dioramas. But I'll give them a call. See if they are able (or willing) to share measurements.

clayfox

Greenie
Oct 28, 2014
Spring City, PA
Detector(s) used
VALLON VMC1, VMW1, VMH3, VMH3CS, MineHound MD&GPR (VMR2, VMR2+, VMR3, VMR3G), VX1 Magnetometer, etc...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know I'm a year late for this conversation - sorry.
My name is Clay Fox with iED Detection Systems LLC, the US rep/reseller for Vallon detectors.

MikeyBugs - Do you still need those measurements? I have some in my office.

Gollum - The MIMID is indeed a well made machine, and it's small. The issue with it (for non west-coast Navy EOD MU's :-) )is the lack of proper mineral soil adaptation. Vallon just revealed the new VMC4, which is less than 3 lbs, and has all the new detection ability, while being smaller than the MIMID. Also - I'm certified to repair VALLON detectors (Including MineHounds) in the US. My office is in PA. Like the MIMID, though, most repairs are not needed due to the high quality of manufacturing and QA testing redundancy. Many of the used military detectors are one or two firmware versions behind, but still have top-notch sensitivity.

Tom in CA - Military detectors are a different breed, and are designed for rugged use/abuse in wide temperature ranges, compatible with military RF spectrum management control and extensive testing, and also WATERPROOF to various extents. Also - Mineral soil compensation and rejection of environmental noises is far superior than most civilian models. The lack of bells and whistles normally stem from the need of rugged display/control versus commercial graphical display modules which break or can't be read in direct sun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread