Back from Myrtle Beach

red fox bob

Feb 23, 2016
Apollo,Pa
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Garrett Pro Pointer,Custom Made Sand Scoop,Garrett AT Pinpointer, Whites MX Sport , Eqauinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent 7 days at MB on the boardwalk at the Holiday Inn Pavilion. Two words about the weather COLD & WINDY. I mostly hunted between the low & high tide lines. It was the first outing with my BHID. Met two other guys hunting ,no one was setting the world on fire with finds. My big find was 4 $1.00 coins in one spot,Susan B Anthony 1979, John Tyler,James Madison,& 2000 Sacajawea. .925 Heart Pendant ,.925 Toe Ring , Copper Toe Ring, & 3 Tokens. Might not of put up any big numbers, but I had a lot of fun. Isn"t that what it"s all about. I found the BHID to be preety easy to use , still have to learn how to ground balance.The only bad part is that the vacation was about 51 weeks too short. HH GUYS.:weee:

OP
OP
R

red fox bob

Feb 23, 2016
Apollo,Pa
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Garrett Pro Pointer,Custom Made Sand Scoop,Garrett AT Pinpointer, Whites MX Sport , Eqauinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The next trip I am taking chest waders.Never got in the water more than above my knees.This will be a new experience.I had a friend of mine fabricate a sand scoop that will do the heavy job of wet sand. I put a 4 foot handle made of ash on it ,the scoop it self is stainless (HD) measures 7.5 x 11 x 5 with 3/8" holes. overall the setup weights 5 1/4 pounds,a little heavy but i am sure it will do the job. I can"t wait to get back in September,planning a month stay.HH

ShovelNose

Apr 6, 2010
Little River S.C.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live 3 hrs from MB and get a newsletter from the club there. They are experiencing sanded in conditions so you did good for conditions. I go down after bikers week and increase the odds of a gold find. Going down on the 22nd for 2 nights just for that reason. Even the troughs between the bars are filled with sand. Tried the water hunting and unless its glass calm it will beat you to death. I wait for a couple hours before low tide and use my bike with 4" tires and ride till I find some erosion. Hit or miss unless they have some strong winds. They just haven't had any strong storms with winds from the SE or NE. If the waves are coming straight at the beach there isn't a lot of sand movement. But there is always the towel line. Feel pretty sure if your going in the water you will need another type of MD. Almost all single freq. MD's willn't handle wet sand.

OP
OP
R

red fox bob

Feb 23, 2016
Apollo,Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I"ll rethink those chest waders!!!! I don"t want to spoil my day. ShovelNose good luck on your 2 day trip , I"m sure I left plenty still buried. Do you think my Beach Hunter ID is"nt the right MD for in the water?

Last edited:

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful when using chest waders. I don't like them.

I was surf fishing in Flagler Beach, FL back in the 80's and almost drowned wearing chest waders. From then on no more waders for me.
Marvin

OP
OP
R

red fox bob

Feb 23, 2016
Apollo,Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marvin, Got the message loud & clear , thanks everyone for the warning.HH & BE SAFE!!!!

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am 1 hr north of MB in Wilmington NC. We are always sanded in this time of year through the winter unless we get a hurricane. We did have a nice storm system go through last week that carved out some nice parts of the beach though. Your best bets right now are either going in the water or getting stuff from vacationers. Unfortunately its still too early in the season to really get the good stuff. The water is just at the point this week where I am seeing more and more vacationers going in. I actually went in yesterday after work with no wetsuit to hunt and surfed this morning with no wetsuit. In my last 4 outtings over the last 2 weeks I have barely even found any clad.

Ironically I have never MD at myrtle and I live 1 hr away. might need to head down there this summer sometime to check it out.

SuperShaun

May 20, 2016
Charlotte NC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Delta 4000, Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be going to Myrtle Beach next month just got my first metal detector and can't wait.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread