Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Vaquero and have been looking at detectors with target I.D., depth, etc. and all that…….I was was wondering are all detectors pretty much the same? I know some have better depth, different tones and all that and have been watching youtube videos and I very rarely see a detector that actually identifies targets and target depths accurately and watched a few videos where about 20-30 targets were dug and not one other than a quarter was identified correctly by the readout. I've seen them all tested, Fisher, Minelab, Whites, Garrett, Tesoro…….. they always seem to be wrong at identifying targets or give you three options what it might be. Heck, I can do that by the kind of signal I get on the Vaquero.

Do I need one (or want) since I have to dig everything anyway? I have learned the Vaquero and can pretty much guess 95% of the time what the target will be in disc mode, which is pretty much always a coin if the signal isn't broken. Gold and aluminum have to be dug anyway because they're so close to find out for sure which it is and you have to dig pull tabs or you might miss gold. I have found gold and silver and everything else with it. Should I get one or just stay with the light weight Tesoro? Are there any accurate ones and do you even use your display or just listen to tones? If anyone knows of an accurate one I'd like to hear about it.

Last edited:

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A few points to address your comments...

Depth can make a huge difference. Low end detectors may only detect 2-6 inches whereas higher end may detect 2-3x that amount. That right there can be a big difference.

Ground mineralization can make a huge difference. For instance, at the beach in wet sand or highly mineralized ground, you need a multifrequency vlf machine or pi machine otherwise your normal run of the mill detector wont even work there.

Detectors are designed to distinguish two types of metal - iron and non iron. Anything else is a guess. Some units do this better than others. However as detectors get deeper this begins to falter. the idea is that some detectors can tell you if its a bad shallow target and you wont need to dig. And its pretty accurate when its a strong shallow signal.

OP
OP
U

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are PI machines more accurate? I'd be willing to spend more if they actually worked better at identifying. It seems to me that my $430 Vaquero works well and deep enough and going up to $1,000 detector doesn't give you a whole lot more. Something with two tones might be better to tell the difference between ferrous and non ferrous without having to turn to disc mode so I don't lose depth? I guess the Tesoro would do that if I just kept switching from AM to disc?

Last edited:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; The Whites DFX is the one you want. It has Automatic Ground Balance and goes over EVERYv type of ground you can come across. It works great on Wet Sand, Dry Sand and regular dirt as well. Depth, I find dimes routinely at 10" - 12". Quarters to 14" - 16". The ID system is 4 ways. Tones, VDI#s and Bar Graph and Icons on the screen. It's lightweight and handles real well.
Now about Tone ID: If you pass over a pulltab or aluminum you will hear a scratchy, broken sound. Pass over gold you will hear either a solid tone for chains etc. or a Double Clicking Tone for rings that is very distinct. The kicker is that if you EVER break it they will fix it for FREE for LIFE ok. You can also get a good used one for $400 used. You will have no problem with it ok. Thus it is Accurate, DEEP Seeking, dependable, in your price range and Guaranteed Forv Life. Try to beat that.
I'll put my DFX up against the EXCAL or Deus anytime. I already have and I do just as good as they did ok. There it is for you. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
U

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; The Whites DFX is the one you want. It has Automatic Ground Balance and goes over EVERYv type of ground you can come across. It works great on Wet Sand, Dry Sand and regular dirt as well. Depth, I find dimes routinely at 10" - 12". Quarters to 14" - 16". The ID system is 4 ways. Tones, VDI#s and Bar Graph and Icons on the screen. It's lightweight and handles real well.
Now about Tone ID: If you pass over a pulltab or aluminum you will hear a scratchy, broken sound. Pass over gold you will hear either a solid tone for chains etc. or a Double Clicking Tone for rings that is very distinct. The kicker is that if you EVER break it they will fix it for FREE for LIFE ok. You can also get a good used one for $400 used. You will have no problem with it ok. Thus it is Accurate, DEEP Seeking, dependable, in your price range and Guaranteed Forv Life. Try to beat that.
I'll put my DFX up against the EXCAL or Deus anytime. I already have and I do just as good as they did ok. There it is for you. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

Hey thanks, I'll start reading about it.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are all cars the same? You can get from NY to LA in a vega, but why not go in an Escalade? I started with an El Cheapo, but it did have 3 tones (my vega). I moved up to an F4, (my Impala) bigger coil, VDI display, and had manual GB. Now a swing the F75 LTD SE upgraded (my Escalade).

OP
OP
U

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are all cars the same? You can get from NY to LA in a vega, but why not go in an Escalade? I started with an El Cheapo, but it did have 3 tones (my vega). I moved up to an F4, (my Impala) bigger coil, VDI display, and had manual GB. Now a swing the F75 LTD SE upgraded (my Escalade).

True, but I'm finding some detectors are like Porsches and Ferraris, they're expensive, break down a lot and are unreliable. Maybe I should just keep riding my bike:laughing7:. I just keep watching videos on YouTube and the IDs never seem to be right, whereas I've learned my tone on the Vaq and don't have to wait for numbers to jumble around to know if something is good or bad. I dunno, I've always used tones with my others too, seems easier. It seems there's not a lot of difference between a $400 detector and a $1,500 one besides a readout and more weight. I'm cheap, what can I say.

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, but my $8,000 '72 Road Runner could keep up with the $60,000 Corvettes I used to race, so cost means jack squat. It's the skill of the driver (or the detectorist) that will trump wads of cash every time.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
True, but I'm finding some detectors are like Porsches and Ferraris, they're expensive, break down a lot and are unreliable. Maybe I should just keep riding my bike:laughing7:. I just keep watching videos on YouTube and the IDs never seem to be right, whereas I've learned my tone on the Vaq and don't have to wait for numbers to jumble around to know if something is good or bad. I dunno, I've always used tones with my others too, seems easier. It seems there's not a lot of difference between a $400 detector and a $1,500 one besides a readout and more weight. I'm cheap, what can I say.

I'm pretty frugal myself. I normally buy used. Why buy new, when used will do?

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dunno, scared of getting something that doesn't work from someone who abused it. With cars I can fix them, electronic boards not so much.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dunno, scared of getting something that doesn't work from someone who abused it. With cars I can fix them, electronic boards not so much.

What like about buying used (locally) is you can inspect it, try it out, and get a crash course before you decide to hand over the cash.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I like Tesoro for 2 main reasons: I like the power per unit cost, but also I've always had a good ear for sounds. Other people are tone deaf. Maybe that's why there are many folks who swear that Tesoros don't work - because they physically may not be able to notice the subtle differences. ...Besides, I hate all the digital crap out there! :icon_scratch: But, that's just a personal preference.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Are PI machines more accurate? I'd be willing to spend more if they actually worked better at identifying. It seems to me that my $430 Vaquero works well and deep enough and going up to $1,000 detector doesn't give you a whole lot more. Something with two tones might be better to tell the difference between ferrous and non ferrous without having to turn to disc mode so I don't lose depth? I guess the Tesoro would do that if I just kept switching from AM to disc?

PI Machines are usually deeper, especially is mineralized soil. They do not discriminate at all, so you cannot identify with a PI machine. You need to worry less about trying to identify a target. As long as your VLF machine can tell if its iron vs not iron that should be enough. Dig all non iron targets and all deep targets. Learning to do that is a matter of learning your machine. If you have a low end machine that cannot tell you if you have a deep vs shallow target then that is a problem. If you are ok with a low end machine then do not get a higher end one. I dont think higher end ones are worth it if you are just buying for bells and whistles but sometimes they are higher end because they are actually much better machines. For example, depth isnt a bell and whistle, multi frequency isnt a bell and whistle, waterproof isnt a bell and whistle, etc. A computer screen is a bell and whistle.

But you are getting too hung up on this identification thing. Its iron vs non iron. Thats it. Ignore the identification features beyond that. Do not buy a machine for identification features. Buy a machine because its lighter, its deeper, its pick up faint tones, its waterproof, its multifrequency, etc. - whatever your needs are.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mainly hunt by tone and glance at the screen. One very good machine you can buy in the 4-450 range is the MX-5 and Whites warranty is transferable. Another is the Minelab Safari.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Like I said. The DFX has 4 different ways to ID. Take your choice. ME, I want to "know" the ID ok. I find the DFX about 90% accurate. That's my take. Also you do NOT have to worry about Ground Mineralization ok. And it is in your price range. Simple. PEACE:RONB

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PI Machines are usually deeper, especially is mineralized soil. They do not discriminate at all, so you cannot identify with a PI machine. You need to worry less about trying to identify a target. As long as your VLF machine can tell if its iron vs not iron that should be enough. Dig all non iron targets and all deep targets. Learning to do that is a matter of learning your machine. If you have a low end machine that cannot tell you if you have a deep vs shallow target then that is a problem. If you are ok with a low end machine then do not get a higher end one. I dont think higher end ones are worth it if you are just buying for bells and whistles but sometimes they are higher end because they are actually much better machines. For example, depth isnt a bell and whistle, multi frequency isnt a bell and whistle, waterproof isnt a bell and whistle, etc. A computer screen is a bell and whistle.

But you are getting too hung up on this identification thing. Its iron vs non iron. Thats it. Ignore the identification features beyond that. Do not buy a machine for identification features. Buy a machine because its lighter, its deeper, its pick up faint tones, its waterproof, its multifrequency, etc. - whatever your needs are.

Thanks, great explanation. That's mainly what I was looking for, depth, iron vs non iron and lightweight waterproof I could go either way. Thanks everyone.

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have two old machines from a company that is gone now. One does have Icons to show the so called ID of the item, but it is a single tone only. The other is no visual ID, but has two tones, so you can move the hi-low tone break to see roughly what range the target metal is.

I really like both. I like the single tone sometimes, as it can't get a split tone that might make a target sound like junk. In other words it makes a solid single tone that I can't miss if I am not on my game that day.

I like the non-ID one sometimes, as it more familiar to me because I had used it a lot more.

Every time I think I would like to try a new one, I listen to the ones on videos, and I mostly don't like the sounds...if that makes any sense. I guess I like my old ones because I am very familiar with what they sound like over various targets. Both of them have an iron-reject which works so accurate. I may get a broken tone on some iron, but I dig those as they maybe be relics....and they are always iron

I do woods and old fields, so I want to dig every non ferrous, so knowing if it is showing dime or tab is not important. If I did nice private lawns, maybe I'd need to rely on ID more. If you really know a machine well, don't sell it, even if you buy a new model :)

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find a used explorer, they can be had for 5 or 6 hundred sometimes less. Fbs takes accuracy to a whole new level.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll keep my YUGO (Fisher 1265X) for a while.:laughing7::occasion14:
Marvin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread