Hi Folks; Do any of you live in the deep country areas ?? --

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm watching shows like The Last Alaskans, Mountain Men and I got to tell you I admire the tar out of those folks. That's some HARD living for sure but it is fascinating to watch their tactics. Me, I'm a City Slicker. I learn something new all the time from these shows. I await. PEACE:RONB

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I, too, enjoy them, but at my age roughing it is NO campground reservations in advance.:BangHead: We do, however, have a "Get out of Dodge" bag with the essentials for survival if we have to vacate for any reason.:notworthy: If one knows how, one can survive with practically nothing. Take your detector so you have something to do in your spare time.:laughing7:
Marvin
PS, there was a show on called "The Great Human Race" that I enjoy on NTGEO channel.

Last edited:
S

stefen

My idea of roughing it is cutting a big one in the house and listening to wifey scream...:laughing7:

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My idea of roughing it is cutting a big one in the house and listening to wifey scream...:laughing7:

Damn my dogs "cut big one's" all the time and it's horrible!!!! Maybe someday I'll fart. But until then I sure love my dogs!!!!! A :laughing7:LOT!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Folks; Do any of you live in the deep country areas ??

Right here!

One of the more sparsely populated areas in the lower 48 that isn't hanging onto the side of a mountain that even rams don't want to travel on. Is all flat land here, and also very wet. The coldest temp we've recorded here is -50.6°F. The water table is so high that if it drops below about 24" below the surface, full grown trees start dying - all their roots are above that point. It's also in one of the more windy areas of the US. The only time it's NOT windy is when you WANT it to be!! (when mosquitoes are so bad...which is 5 months of the year)

We drive almost 50 miles to town. The closest larger town is 1 1/2 hours away, but less than 10,000 population. Is over 2 hours to the nearest "city", Grand Forks.

Our county has so few people that there is very low tax base. So much so that within the past 3-4 years, the county has dug up paved roads in need of repair and reverted them back to gravel, as gravel roads are less costly to maintain.

Our nearest neighbor is a mile away as the crow flies, but 5 miles by road. The next nearest is 1 1/2 miles (crow), the next is about 5 miles (crow) or 8 miles by road.

When we first moved here, it was considered "normal" to go up to 2 weeks without another vehicle passing by on the main road (yes, gravel). Now, isn't a day goes by that someone doesn't pass by at some point. DANG! Gonna have to move again. Gettin' to be too many people in the area! :munky2:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Growing up I regolarly camped and hunted what we called West Prong on the Nueces River. Middle of nowhere. That or the ranch. Going to college, I had a history prof. that used to say, "I do NOT camp out". He would get invited to dedications of old Spanish areas, but wouldn't go. I couldn't understand why. Now I don't leave the city for any reason. Everything I want is here. I haven't been out of here in over 5 years. kcm, I love your sense of humor. Now I realize that you better have a great sense of humor to live where you do. Not even Bigfoot would live there. Even he needs to be closer to civilization...

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Austin, but that sense of humor followed me up here from Conroe. :icon_biggrin: ...Only thing is, it's kinda like the weather. If you don't like my sense of humor, just wait five minutes and.....well, you probably STILL won't like it, but it'll be 5 minutes later, anyhow!

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I watch those shows....Alone (the show) also. Luckily they also make about 25,000 an episode , that kinda helps with the "no game" years.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That sorta defeats the purpose of living in the boonies - having cameras following you around all the time. I couldn't do it for ANY amount of money!!

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sorta defeats the purpose of living in the boonies - having cameras following you around all the time. I couldn't do it for ANY amount of money!!

I believe they still live the lifestyle, but for a few months put up with the cameras etc. It would allow them to continue to survive through hard times! Or it's all fake....

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Folks; Do any of you live in the deep country areas ??

Right here!

One of the more sparsely populated areas in the lower 48 that isn't hanging onto the side of a mountain that even rams don't want to travel on. Is all flat land here, and also very wet. The coldest temp we've recorded here is -50.6°F. The water table is so high that if it drops below about 24" below the surface, full grown trees start dying - all their roots are above that point. It's also in one of the more windy areas of the US. The only time it's NOT windy is when you WANT it to be!! (when mosquitoes are so bad...which is 5 months of the year)

We drive almost 50 miles to town. The closest larger town is 1 1/2 hours away, but less than 10,000 population. Is over 2 hours to the nearest "city", Grand Forks.

Our county has so few people that there is very low tax base. So much so that within the past 3-4 years, the county has dug up paved roads in need of repair and reverted them back to gravel, as gravel roads are less costly to maintain.

Our nearest neighbor is a mile away as the crow flies, but 5 miles by road. The next nearest is 1 1/2 miles (crow), the next is about 5 miles (crow) or 8 miles by road.

When we first moved here, it was considered "normal" to go up to 2 weeks without another vehicle passing by on the main road (yes, gravel). Now, isn't a day goes by that someone doesn't pass by at some point. DANG! Gonna have to move again. Gettin' to be too many people in the area! :munky2:

Damn guy that does sound remote.... When I first moved upon this ridge top in TN. for many years it was news to have someone drive by. Few still do... but traffic has doubled now... 3-5 vehicles per day now. But this doesn't count UPS bringing my wife's orders... :laughing7:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live out here in rural Oklahoma and the past few years it is becoming less and less rural.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread