Is this a talent?

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I apologize for posting this in GD but I need a few opinions real quick then I'll take it down. The link is a Youtube video of my son "playing" a MIDI (Musical Interface Digital Instrument). There were some arguments at the talent show that this isn't an instrument, therefore, not "talent" per say. You know, even though it's my kid, I kinda agree that it's not an instrument.

https://youtu.be/6f2SdSTy6ts

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Thanks Skippy, your comparison with a piano makes sense, never thought of it that way. He's not getting any flak, it was a discussion between judges and parents before the show. None of them had ever seen/heard of a MIDI before, including the Music teacher...lol, so I guess that's were the question arose. He read your post...says thank you for that.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go into any modern day music studio and you will see one of these, and much more. Several years ago, I wrote country music and found my way into multiple studios on Music Row in Nashville. MIDI instruments are used to mimic multiple instruments and are quite often used instead of live musicians that cost much more money. Mastering such MIDI instruments takes a lot of practice. So yes, this is talent. There are studio engineers making good money using these today.

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Go into any modern day music studio and you will see one of these, and much more. Several years ago, I wrote country music and found my way into multiple studios on Music Row in Nashville. MIDI instruments are used to mimic multiple instruments and are quite often used instead of live musicians that cost much more money. Mastering such MIDI instruments takes a lot of practice. So yes, this is talent. There are studio engineers making good money using these today.

I am very surprised at the quality of the piano notes and drum tracks on this thing. Where can a kid get lessons for this thing?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hell yes that is talent! Bravo! :hello2:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Talent!

I couldn't even begin to do that. Keep up the encouragement!

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am very surprised at the quality of the piano notes and drum tracks on this thing. Where can a kid get lessons for this thing?

I know that Belmont University in Nashville, TN (College of Entertainment and Music Business) has special undergrad programs that include this. You may want to check with some of your shops that sell musical instruments for local training opportunities.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some serious video game beats right there!
Oh, it's a talent alright and the the genre of music he is playing is called dubstep.
Your son is on his his way to being the next great DJ superstar!
:thumbsup:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First thing I'll say is 'Coooool!' Yeah he does indeed have talent. And skills. I can almost handle six strings but he's got all kinds of things goin on that's beyond me.

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
First thing I'll say is 'Coooool!' Yeah he does indeed have talent. And skills. I can almost handle six strings but he's got all kinds of things goin on that's beyond me.

Agree. He has to map all of those "clips" then memorize which button he assigned them too...lol...definitely skill. I think he "launches" around 600 clips in 4:30. He's says it's easy. He's trying to teach me but I can't get past the first piano chords....lol. Ah, to be young again....

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Just watched this AGAIN... and I'm still blown away at the talent this kid has. It's like telling a piano player, "before you go play, you need to string up your own piano.."

WHOA...

I guess if I had seen someone else play one of these before I saw my son play, I'd probably agree that it is talent. I watched and listened over the course of four months as he put 10 seconds together, then 20, then 30 and finally the whole song. I guess since I saw it come together so slowly that I underestimated his level of talent. His audience was blown away, I didn't see that coming...lol....that's why I began to question it. I didn't plan on taking the camera off of him during the performance but when all those kids started screaming I couldn't resist panning around to capture it. Turns out it was a good decision, he says he didn't hear anything until he finished....lol.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I apologize for posting this in GD but I need a few opinions real quick then I'll take it down. The link is a Youtube video of my son "playing" a MIDI (Musical Interface Digital Instrument). There were some arguments at the talent show that this isn't an instrument, therefore, not "talent" per say. You know, even though it's my kid, I kinda agree that it's not an instrument.

https://youtu.be/6f2SdSTy6ts

No need to take thread down.. Ever see someone play a saw, it is a talent......

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very talented!
Cool thing is you can use a guitar to a MIDI, possibilities are endless!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions