problems with my Garrett Pro pinpointer

joncooper1986

Jul 31, 2014
Westhampton, MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 4.0 9" coil, 11" coil, WS4 w/ Detecting Doodads headphones, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine would do that. I could whack it on my digger and it would behave for a while. That's what they do.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two. The old one and the AT pro pointer. Nether act up. My buddy had a brand new one that would go crazy and they replaced it and he has no more trouble. Send it back and they will make it right.

HH, Relic Nut

OP
OP
joncooper1986

joncooper1986

Jul 31, 2014
Westhampton, MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 4.0 9" coil, 11" coil, WS4 w/ Detecting Doodads headphones, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unfortunately I bought it used so I'm sure it's not under warranty

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Pro Pointer AT & Pro Pointer II - after a while the Pro Pointer AT would not sound off just vibrate and sent it in to Garrett's service - within bout 6 days have a new one delivered by UPS. If it still in warranty they will either fix it or replace it. I use only 9 volt Energizer alkaline batteries in my pin pointers.

Texas ED

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got Garrett Pro Pointer used, and after a year and a half, the switch went bad. I think it's 5 years old. Sent it into Garrett and practically got a new one back for about $42. 2 days to get their, 2 days in TX and then 2 days later it was home again. Garrett has excellent customer service IMHO

They replaced the housing, the switch, the coil, and one other item.

It began to act up in December. I had to hold the switch down to use it. Told the wife I knew the best present she could get me for Xmas. A Garrett carrot. She's a good wife. Even though I have the carrot I still had the ole Pro Pointer repaired. Rather have 2 in the van (just in case).

GL & HH

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you using a name brand battery? Some of the cheapo ones don't quite fit the same and can make it crazy.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to send a few of these back due to going random beeping. Both were new out of the box. Now the button has to be pressed several times to get it to come on. I use my TRX, just too much hassel to call and go through all the blather. When the darn things work, they are great.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
They don't seem to last, yours is ready to go also. Mine died slowly.
It was an over-priced plastic stick that worked great until it didn't.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a few issues with mine. When it went off I had to shake it to get it to stop. It works and It's doing the job.
We all need a little shake every now and then

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are 3 flimsy poorly insulated wires that go from the coil to the circuit board, IMO and many others believe that's the cause, i think they lay over onto the board.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only way I got my Garrett pro pointer issues repaired was to call Garrett, get a service repair number, and send it in. On some repairs, there was no cost. On others, because the warranty had expired, they called me first to get my approval of repair costs. I own 3 Pro Pointers as well as a Garrett Carrot.
After many, many years of passing handfuls of dirt over my coil, I always carry 2 pointers on every hunt.
(They are light).
Good luck on your decision.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread