ARA Refinery - Experience and Results.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have used ARA for many years with no problems. Two-Thumbs way up! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did better than I at a local dealer, I got 45-% of gold melt value of a couple of 14 K. Items. I won't deal there again

thebirdflu

Aug 29, 2013
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great write up Skippy! It's really appreciated. I'm still saving up all of my scrap gold and silver from yard sales (unfortunately no MD finds to date) so if I ever decide to sell them this will be the way to go.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Skippy, thanx for the write-up of your experience ! HOWEVER:

1) The fact that you had to give them your tax-payer ID # (your Soc. Sec. #), and

2) the fact that the payout is over $600 to you,

Means that they will be issuing you a 1099. Meaning: You must report it on your taxes now.

Does anyone know if ARA is reporting the payouts (the ones over $600 anyhow) to the govt. on the 1099s? Have you, or has anyone here, who's sold to them, seen a 1099 in your mailbox the following January or February ?

If so, a possible way around this, is to parse out your sales to various buyers for $599 or less from each smelter/refiner ?

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really decent return.
You won't get a 92% melt value, using local jewelers.
Especially in NYC.
Excellent post

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Geib Refining Corp. Precious metal refining and reclaim, Warwick, RI USA
If you have amounts in the Oz. range these people are good. Used to be 3% to refine and 3% to buy it. Some places charge 10% to refine and higher. They have been in business for a long time. For dust and nuggets, you have to state the State and county for taxing. Feds, State, and County taken out after the 6%. Checked them out back in 1980 when my brother and I first started looking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread