Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was mowing one day in Tennessee and I felt this burning on my shin I looked and there were two tiny red marks,it swelled and burned for several days and then started to itch like crazy and turned a nasty purple color,lasted for awhile.

GOD Bless

Chris

up here in Indiana, chiggers are only noticed a day or two after you are in the grass

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
chiggers never hurt that soon

dale68

Jan 12, 2009
2 possible causes. 1 chiggers--- 2 if u been in a lake that has a lot of waterfoul-- swimmers itch-(caused by a parasite of waterfowel that burrow under ur skin) . both itch like crazy.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
chiggers never hurt that soon

This is a true statement: Even if you are laced with a batch of them it takes a day or two for them to FULLY set in. But if you act quickly (be it good or bad) with some bleach / alcohol or whatever to make those microscopic bugs leave your body.... then all the better.

My 35 y/o son just did some yard work for me 3 days ago. He asks me tonight... "What the hell are these bites all over my ankles".... and... "They itch like hell"? CHIGGERS...! He grabbed the bleach bottle, a rag and started to saturate his ankles. He'll be better in the morning.... :laughing7:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Must be flea bites I'm trying not to itch.
Her royal indoors put the cabash on my using food grade diatomaceous earth in the dog kennel , so...poop scooping day led to don't scratch the bites days.
She leaves home there is going to be a wholelotta shakin goin on with the D.E. container.....

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the day ('50's) we put sulfur in rags and tied around our ankles when Blackberry Picking. Kept all bugs off us.:occasion14:
Marvin

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi GA_Boy; Just don't go near the stove after the picking. !!! :laughing7: You could get a nice case of Hot Foot.!!:tongue3: PEACE:RONB

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah ha! So everytime i go traipsing thru the foliage, i should get a bottle of 100 proof and liberally apply it inside and out....to ward off chiggers.
Sounds good to me! :D

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
How does DE affect fleas??
Food grade for our use remember!
Like shards of glass it violates their outer shells/coverings with its sharpness , causing dehydration.
If it gets wet/damp it is not considered effective as it softens.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who in Tennessee that has been in the woods has not had chiggers or ran into stinging hair caterpillars? I will take chigger over the caterpillars. Those things look like a blow torch hit you. Use bleach on the chiggers after you scratch for one day.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Who in Tennessee that has been in the woods has not had chiggers or ran into stinging hair caterpillars? I will take chigger over the caterpillars. Those things look like a blow torch hit you. Use bleach on the chiggers after you scratch for one day.

Amen.... Bleach works the best of anything I've ever tried. But thus far I've never had to deal with a caterpillar sting yet. But I totally agree about the 1 day of scratching first. But it really sucks when your laced good, scratch'em all open and then do the bleach job!

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Use clear finger nail polish on the spots they will die. That's the South Carolina way. I saw a crack or meth head think they had chiggers once and picked themselves till they looked like a sponge, nasty.

I've been laced so bad before I'd go through 3-4 bottles of polish. I've heard of that before also and my boy tried it. But I think scratching'em open and then manning up with the bleach is quicker.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Msbeepbeep: I like your earlier suggestion. 100 Proof. But I would rather apply it liberally on the inside then you could bear the pain of applying the bleach to the open chigger bites for sure. !!! :tongue3::laughing7::laughing7: How do you guys like this thread ?? It has gone from CHIGGERS cures to BBQ Sauce, to Human Birthday Cakes, to Hotel Room Parties, to applying bleach to OPEN SORES.!!! :icon_scratch: Lord, We have now ALL become partying MASOCHISTS on the loose coming out of the closet.!!! Think about it guys. PEACE:RONB :occasion14:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi; Msbeepbeep: I like your earlier suggestion. 100 Proof. But I would rather apply it liberally on the inside then you could bear the pain of applying the bleach to the open chigger bites for sure. !!! :tongue3::laughing7::laughing7: How do you guys like this thread ?? It has gone from CHIGGERS cures to BBQ Sauce, to Human Birthday Cakes, to Hotel Room Parties, to applying bleach to OPEN SORES.!!! :icon_scratch: Lord, We have now ALL become partying MASOCHISTS on the loose coming out of the closet.!!! Think about it guys. PEACE:RONB :occasion14:

The nail polish helps balance it out though...:thumbsup:

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only takes one time to learn, and yet I've had the little buggers many times! Usually 2 or 3 at a time. I do the bleach method too, but still end up itching for 2-3 weeks!
If I know I'm going to be where there is field grass, or in the woods, I use the Deep Woods Off. Has the highest amount of DEET.
Seems God has a wicked sense of humor at times...

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I'm glad I live up North. No Chiggers EVER.!!!! :headbang: PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only takes one time to learn, and yet I've had the little buggers many times! Usually 2 or 3 at a time. I do the bleach method too, but still end up itching for 2-3 weeks!
If I know I'm going to be where there is field grass, or in the woods, I use the Deep Woods Off. Has the highest amount of DEET.
Seems God has a wicked sense of humor at times...

Lady I'm not making light of your 2-3 bites at a time... but that wouldn't hardly even hit my radar. I'd sign up for 2-3 bites over what I've had before any day. QUESTION: When you do the bleach method do you scratch them open first? If not.... there not coming out and will continue to itch. When their scratched open then bleached I feel relief quickly... usually the next day. Not always but at times I've doused twice with the bleach in really bad infested areas. Now my buddy Frank (Huntsman53) from East TN. came to visit me in Middle TN. He got LACED badly.... but he didn't spray like I did that day before we left together into the woods. The next time he came.... he had learned how to spray properly. :laughing7: He stated he'd gotten them in East TN. but never like the ones around here. Maybe some areas are worse then others....????

Now I do 100% agree that Deep Woods Off can fend them off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread