Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got a PM today from somebody here on T-net today who has a personal problem now. What I mean by this is their covered from head to toe and all places in between with something. All places in between!!!! This person has welts, itches like hell and nobody knows what it is. He can't see anything that's on him except the bites and welts and the horrible itching. This person wanted to know if I had any idea what it could be.... HELL YES I DO!

I live in TN. This other person is in the South also. Anybody else have an idea?

HINT: Bleach bath time (I say)! :icon_thumleft:

Wish ya the best .... Brad

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I had the'in between'places back in 75 MDin early spring diggin along the bank of a lake and drinking beer(of course I had to wiz too)woke up the next morning with blisters from my knees to my belly button..dang Poison Ivy,first time I ever had it,now all I have to do is look at it and I get it.:tongue3:

GOD Bless

Chris

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finger nail polish remover works to. He will never forget them! If Chiggers

HH, Relic Nut

kyskinner

Oct 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
T2se. tesero tejon. white xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here where i live you get lot bumps and it itch a lot . 3 thing it can be poison ivy, poison oak , turkey mites . and I going say turkey mites

Last edited:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi AARC; Your BRUTAL.!!! :weee: By the way Limitool. What the heck does he have??? :icon_scratch: I'm a Northern City Slicker. Enlighten me. PEACE:RONB

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do you guys think I started "The Random Picture Thread"...

I mean... Who doesn't love pictures. :)

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
It's chiggers. Look it up. They're teenie, tiny bugs so small that you need a magnifying glass to see them. If you get them bad (like this sounds), you're gonna be one very miserable person for a while. Only way to stop them is to kill them, and that means dunking yourself in a tub of alcohol - or more commonly, taking alcohol and DRENCHING a wash rag with it, then VERY LIBERALLY wash your entire body. Wash your hair with alcohol while you're at it. Is best if you can do it outside in a kiddie pool or something.

Never heard of using BBQ sauce, but HAVE heard of using vinegar instead of alcohol. Don't know if vinegar works.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: Hey Limitool! Now I know what Chiggers are!:laughing7: And Hey! Right now ?I'll try all of the above! Maybe even the shaving cream and birthday candles!

Nail polish? Who cares! I'll raid her nail supply box and paint myself to look like a freakin clown for all I care! :laughing7:

Funny stuff! I'm just glad it's something common! Was getting a little worried when welts are all over and in places welts shouldn't be! And ITCH! Poison Ivy doesn't itch this bad!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
...So the mystery person is YOU Nitric??

Too Funny Donald Duck - Copy.gif

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi kcm; Keep it up. BBQ Sauce and Vinegar. Next thing you know we will be having a cookout at AARC's place. !!! :occasion14::occasion18:

It would almost have to be the vinegar in BBQ sauce that does anything - so why not straight vinegar? But I grew up using alcohol - 91% works well.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Uh, I'm so happy to see all the PROFESSIONAL advice from around the country. I know-----Go see a doctor. Emergency room, MedExpress clinic, Free Clinic. Unless this was a joke post and I missed something, you guys scare me...

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...So the mystery person is YOU Nitric??

View attachment 1314343

Ya, I've heard of Chiggers and spent a ton of time outside, Never got into them before! That And I'm still fairly new to living in GA. I now Have another thing on the list to hate! Chiggers!!! I hate those! :laughing7: Seed ticks are another thing on the list of experience that I never want to see again!:laughing7:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
:laughing7: Hey Limitool! Now I know what Chiggers are!:laughing7: And Hey! Right now ?I'll try all of the above! Maybe even the shaving cream and birthday candles!

Nail polish? Who cares! I'll raid her nail supply box and paint myself to look like a freakin clown for all I care! :laughing7:

Funny stuff! I'm just glad it's something common! Was getting a little worried when welts are all over and in places welts shouldn't be! And ITCH! Poison Ivy doesn't itch this bad!

Nitric,

If you are really hairy, you can set the forest on fire per see and when the chiggers run out, you stab them to death with a needle.::icon_scratch:laughing7:

Frank

P.S. I know all too well about chiggers and especially Limitool's chiggers from hell. Got them when we went to explore his' cave and will never forget them. I had them before but never so bad and started to think that maybe I had caught something really bad while in the cave.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya, I've heard of Chiggers and spent a ton of time outside, Never got into them before! That And I'm still fairly new to living in GA. I now Have another thing on the list to hate! Chiggers!!! I hate those! :laughing7: Seed ticks are another thing on the list of experience that I never want to see again!:laughing7:
Welcome to Jawga, the only thing smaller than a Chigger is a Chigger's Digger.
Spray your legs with OFF DEEP WOODS before going out in the grass/woods----It contains DEET.
Marvin

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Can't remember who it was who was saying to seek medical help. When it comes to chiggers, you have! Alcohol kills them instantly. I've heard about vinegar but never tried it. Would rather stick with the tried and true, absolute sure cure!

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's chiggers. Look it up. They're teenie, tiny bugs so small that you need a magnifying glass to see them. If you get them bad (like this sounds), you're gonna be one very miserable person for a while. Only way to stop them is to kill them, and that means dunking yourself in a tub of alcohol - or more commonly, taking alcohol and DRENCHING a wash rag with it, then VERY LIBERALLY wash your entire body. Wash your hair with alcohol while you're at it. Is best if you can do it outside in a kiddie pool or something.

Never heard of using BBQ sauce, but HAVE heard of using vinegar instead of alcohol. Don't know if vinegar works.

Long...long ago my cousin and I got chiggers while running the fields on a summer day in Missouri. The next day we both itched so badly. All day we scratched. I scratched so bad EVERYWHERE my nails had blood on them. Next morning we both were past being miserable... it was horrible! So my Aunt comes out to the house with 10 gallons of 100% bleach. Pours into tub and says who's first? We both were about 11-12 years old then. I stripped and hopped into tub.... DAMN DID IT BURN!!!! Then my aunt comes in with a rag and soaks my neck, arms and torso. I was yelling, screaming and being a "little girl" about the whole thing. Now this act scares the hell out of my cousin who's next. I put my undies on and run out to the porch to dry. Next.... Cousin says... "I changed my mind... I'm not getting in". Wrong... he went in! He followed my act to a tee.

I kid you all not.... The top of the bleach bath had a red tint to it. I believe it wasn't blood at all but 10's of thousand of the chiggers or red bugs or whatever you want to call them.

Next day relief started. What not to do is if you "think" you have chiggers is itch / scratch first for 2 days. Like kcm said above soak yourself liberally with alcohol and/or bleach quickly. Or you can scratch yourself for two days then do it!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Never heard of a bleach remedy. That wouldn't be very good if you have scratches. Besides burning, it can mess ya up some if it gets in your bloodstream. ...Or was this a VERY diluted bleach??

Either way, OUCH!! Just thinking about it make me never want to step foot in the South again!! ...Can't take the heat anymore. Too many years of firefighting in the south Texas heat! :icon_pale:

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have lived in NC all of my 50 years and up until last year had never had chiggers. One day after detecting both of my ankles were itching like crazy. I assumed I had somehow got into some poison ivy/oak. Since I had never had chiggers it took me a few days to realize what was going on. Even though it was just a small area that was affected, it was miserable.

Thanks for the alcohol tip. I'll remember that in case I ever get into those little b@astards again.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
once you have em, salt water works too

to avoid them just do your morning pee on your ankles they don't like strong urine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread