What its all about.

IDigVirginia

May 5, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F4, Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had some free time today so I went out to a vacant lot that used to be the local High school (my grandparents went there) then it was the middle school that I attended. They demolished it about 8 years ago and I have hunted around a couple of times out there. Today I found some clad (1965 quarter, don't ya hate that?) and some random trash. I was walking along in the tall grass and my AT Pro started going crazy with varying signals. I could tell the object wasn't deep by the sound it was making and as I pushed the grass aside I saw a little blue rectangle. I pulled it out and saw it was a small action camera. I stuck it in my pocket and kept hunting.

When I got home I looked it over and peeled back a piece of electric tape that was on the camera. There was a slot with a 32gb micro sd card inside. I popped the sd card in my laptop and saw several videos someone had taken with a drone. The last 4 videos were about 2 min long shots of the sky through the tall grass where the camera landed. I guess it automatically started recording. The last video with actually arial footage showed the craft take off and fly around the field before hitting a pine tree branch, which caused the camera to flip about 10 times and land in the grass. The date on the videos was 8/23/2015.

There was a "Read Me" file that I almost ignored, but decided to check it out in hopes I could gather some more information to return this camera and memory card to its owner. All of his contact info was listed in the read me file! What a great idea. I gave him a call and he was shocked and thrilled that I found his camera. I just got home from meeting up with him to return it, he said he had spent hours that day looking for the camera. Super nice guy and VERY grateful for what I had done. He was amazed that the camera survived since we got about 3 ft of snow this last winter. Obviously every treasure hunter would love to run over a cache of gold and silver worth a ton of money, but this was a great experience for me and I thoroughly enjoyed being able to return an item to its rightful owner. Just wanted to share my story and wish everyone happy hunting!

Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 9.43.09 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 9.45.20 PM.png

Last edited:

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Returning things to their rightful owners is always a treat. I keep a file on my camera and of course my cell phone with my contact info, just in case it is ever lost. On a side note, I also keep a copy of the owner's manuals for all of my detectors and pinpointer on my cell phone.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice post with a great ending. Nothing better than the feeling you get when doing the right thing. I nominate honorable mention for the good return. Kudos to you IDV. :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread