Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This site just refuses to give anything up much,ive hunted it a 100 hours or more and ive got 2 flat buttons,a 1902 barber quarter,and a small eagle cuff button that was found while trenching. The problem is the trash the house was lived in up until the 1990s and there is a 50 yard perimeter of it around the house it sounds like a machine gun going off everytime you move the coil. I know something good has to be here there are way to many non ferrous targets in the ground for it to have been hunted much but those targets are just modern trash and old pieces of copper and such.Anyone had a site like this before? I am a trash hunter but this place takes the cake any suggestions? DSCN1052.JPG DSCN1055.JPG DSCN1056.JPG DSCN1057.JPG

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What size coil are you using? You may have to use the smallest coil available if it's that trashy. Or else be prepared to dig trash so you can see what it's masking.

If it were me I'd install my 5" DD coil on the F75 or maybe even my 6.5" eliptical concentric coil.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nine inch coil on my deus. I dont mind digging trash but this place is in a world of its own. I wish some of you guys lived around me I would take you with me and show you what im talking about. Loco have you ever just gave up on a site?

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I least ill be shape when I get done digging! thanks

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have given up on some sites since there are so many out there that are better when it comes to the trash-to-target ratio or due to diminishing returns. Even though a site is truly never hunted out, sometimes it's just best to move onto another location.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since the Deus is wireless, set the control unit on the ground under the porch and then take your lower shaft with the coil attached and crawl under the porch to see if you can find any goodies there with less trash signals.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats my hunting partners philosophy too . I think I will just go back to this one every now and then man I know theres got to be something there but man its a hard hunt.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a couple of sites that are covered in trash, and yield good targets occasionally. It has not been easy!

One idea is to pick a likely looking 10' x 10' square, and try to dig ALL of the targets out of it. This might take a little time, but MIGHT be worth it. I have found silver coins with the pinpointer, whilst picking nails out of the dirt! The other boys laugh at me, but when I find something, they laugh a good bit less heartily!

After you do three 10' x 10' areas, in random likely spots, you ought to have good idea of what is in the ground.

It can take me up to 2 hours to "clean" a 10' x 10' section.

You could take up a section of grass (Maybe 4' square), and screen the dirt underneath, catching non-metallic objects too. I want to see anything promising come out of the ground, so that I KNOW good targets are really down there.

If you need help, I am only 3.5 hours away!

Best of luck to you sir.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one of the flat buttons came from under the porch, and we have cut some spots out and looked through the dirt , the right kind of dish is there and thats how the eagle cuff button was found so there are relics there . I will try the 10 x 10 and clean it out and see what happens. Im no sissy when it comes to tough hunting but this is one them spots thats really really tough. Ive took a couple of people their who have been hunting a long time and they dont wont nothing to do with it.let me know when your coming down this way tom.

Last edited:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take your time and go slow but only when you don't have anything else pressing to do. If you can keep this as an occasional then I would hunt when time permitted. Good Luck and Happy Hunting.....Also take hunting buddies to this one so they don't steal the good ones....:laughing7:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd grid and peck away at the perimeter of the house each hunt ...till crazy or digging too many targets (easy on the turf)then work shade trees farther out(despite the covered porches offering shade) ,the area where mailbox was back when(it may have been across the road or near it's later current site) .
Clothesline area of the past , well or barn area where horses were watered saddled, worked, ect.
Around the coal door if it has one. Near any thresholds.
Back to pecking away on the grid the next visit.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a place that started out just like yours. First few times we went we said,"This place is nothing but junk". The only reason we were going back was we knew the history was good and it is very close to home. After a few trips we began to get some good stuff. Still a lot of junk there but there is still good stuff to. After I slowed down and started to focus on small areas (Like stated above) I began to do better. Now I love that site because it's close to home and loaded with targets. Some trips there are very productive and some aren't but I know good stuff is there so I'll keep going back.

HH, Relic Nut

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Here there is a park that is "saturated" with trash. Thing is that when I started taking my time and digging only the good and deep signals I began to find the good coins underneath the trash literally. I'd start digging pullout a pull tab, bottle cap or some other trash and when I recheck the hole I'd find coins ad other goodies. ow every time I go there I pop silver. Last dig there netted me 2 Mercs and a Rosey. So go slow and try digging only the deep signals. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Calabash Digger,

If you have unlimited time to detect the property, you will need to detect in layers. Turn down the sensitivity (surface - 3”, use a small coil) and work a flagged 10’ x 10’ area (north/south, east/west and diagonally) removing all the junk. Then increase the sensitivity, gain or power (if your machine has this option) and repeat the process (3” -6”) ...etc.; on the work area. You will eventually begin starting to find the old keepers. Once you remove all the trash targets from the last 40 years, then you can move up in coil size and get the deep targets. It’s slow, but with time and patients you will begin to locate areas of the yard that are productive.

I detect mostly historic and private homesteads and this process is the only way to deal with the years of modern trash targets.

GL & HH

Doc

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Calabash Digger,

If you have unlimited time to detect the property, you will need to detect in layers. Turn down the sensitivity (surface - 3”, use a small coil) and work a flagged 10’ x 10’ area (north/south, east/west and diagonally) removing all the junk. Then increase the sensitivity, gain or power (if your machine has this option) and repeat the process (3” -6”) ...etc.; on the work area. You will eventually begin starting to find the old keepers. Once you remove all the trash targets from the last 40 years, then you can move up in coil size and get the deep targets. It’s slow, but with time and patients you will begin to locate areas of the yard that are productive.

I detect mostly historic and private homesteads and this process is the only way to deal with the years of modern trash targets.

GL & HH

Doc

thanks im gonna try that process and see what I come up with.

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What size coil are you using? You may have to use the smallest coil available if it's that trashy. Or else be prepared to dig trash so you can see what it's masking.

If it were me I'd install my 5" DD coil on the F75 or maybe even my 6.5" eliptical concentric coil.

exactly what I would suggest. One of the properties I hunt has a buried trash pit, several old burn pit areas and just tons of rusty old nails. With a smaller coil you can pick through the junk easier. Note when you do find a good target, there will likely be other metal junk in the same hole so be sure you find the object the detector picked up, rather than the trash around it. In this situation I pinpoint all metals with the handheld pinpointer and then wave each one over the big detectors coil until I hear the same tone I decided to dig.

good luck to you, there's got to be something at that property.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions