State parks vs public parks

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why can't u detect in most if not all state parks. Don't respond in a dumb way because it's a real question. Protected park, animals what's the deal. We r digging small holes not trenches, it's really getting worse I suggest unless u want less places to go u better start confronted the idiots. Where did r freedoms go we have no backbone we r all talk no action. Enough of this bully action no wonder citizens r mad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
because those are the rules that are in place. It sounds like you need to get back on some form of meds. Going around being a jerk about your "rights" will only make it worse for everyone. Closed parks can become open, but it's a process and requires time and diplomacy.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I prefer to camp in State Parks, as camping in public parks is never allowed.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
uploadfromtaptalk1463963816253.jpg

HH, Relic Nut

victhedog

Jun 24, 2008
Stroudsburg Monroe co. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Specra V3I, Whites Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt parks all the time in north east PA
As long as you don't trash the park No problems

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
because those are the rules that are in place. It sounds like you need to get back on some form of meds. Going around being a jerk about your "rights" will only make it worse for everyone. Closed parks can become open, but it's a process and requires time and diplomacy.
Writing about rules in states, local and federal parks, There are rules against harassing and insulting members, like myself. It is outrages that you harass and insult members like myself with serious mental problems. I will complain to management.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have those rules in place to "preserve" history, even if they are letting it rot in the ground. There are ways to get things changed through the proper channels and through legislation. Some states allow their state parks to be detected in.

Whenever interacting (by whatever means) with park officials (who merely enforce the rules, not make them), PLEASE be polite and courteous. The same goes for your legislators. Making demands and being rude is not the way to get things changed; in fact it will have the opposite effect. The LAST thing we need is bad publicity in the form of a metal detector user "confronting" park officials. There are right ways and wrong ways of doing things. Please don't give the hobby a black eye.

I would MUCH rather hear of a metal detecting club offering to help to pick up the trash and clean up the parks, by hand, even if they are closed to metal detecting. Why? Besides being the right thing to do, if done enough times perhaps the right people would see that metal detector enthusiasts CARE about public lands, and maybe, just maybe one day those closed parks could be opened up to detecting to help pull out the trash and the history.

Last edited:
OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok big guy it's time u wake up your time and diplomacy is a thing of the past u negotiate nothing u better take your medication jason

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honest Samuel I don't no a dam thing about u but I like u why we speak our mind. Times r different as long as we get shoved around by the policy makers, no no little man be a good boy. Wow a way of respecting and preserving history is to have it available and or displayed for generations. Some people on this forum are soft go home to mommy as trump would say. We can't help you.

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most state parks have designated hunt areas. If not, theres not much you can do unless you want to risk having your equipment taken away. I don't even bother with them, because there are so many other places to hunt.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, 49er12, I agree with you, # 1, # 9, #10, I been searching beaches local and state parks and beaches since 1964 in Connecticut. I have heard and read about laws and regulations in my state and other states, which outrage me. In New York State, you need to purchase metal detector permits which is outrages. Policy makers in state, town, cities and Congress are outrages and outright total wrong. Many years ago, the state legislators pass a law that the state is allow to received 25 % off treasures found on private properties. They found that this law is illegal and no longer on the books. We in my state have a high state income tax, which is also outrages and unfair to the poor and low income families. go in Peace my friend, Good hunting and good luck. Connecticut state parks only allow you to search beaches and keep what you find. You can search land, but, do digging, just what you see on the ground.

.:occasion14:

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
49er12, what gives you the idea you "can't hunt your state parks" there in PA ? PA has a resounding "yes" in their column on the FMDAC list. And as for the suffix of that about "... with permission from park office...", notice this: Click on the state's name, to get the expanded version of that. And notice that this "with permission" stuff is not in the actual law/code. But rather, the letter answerer's take on the inquirer's question back when the list was compiled.

But in any case, to answer your "why any place might be off-limits?" : It's NOT due to holes (because you're right, we'll leave no trace, etc...). It's due to cultural heritage. Because, gasp, you might find an old coin.

And no, the recourse for any supposed (if it were true) off-limits spots is not to go griping and seeking clarifications, petitions, etc..... All THAT is going to do, is stiffen any resolve, and further cement an actual specific "no", where perhaps now it's silent on the issue and not *specific*.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread