Computer problems

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Well haven't gotten the 10 window yet, but I see another way they will force you to do so. I have Vista on a laptop and XP on a PC.
In the last couple of weeks I've been getting the warning of no more updates from Windows. And all of a sudden multiple programs no longer function as they did last week. Forums I belong to now take minutes to load the home page, just like old dial up. You Tube? Forget it, a 2-3 minute video takes over 15 minutes to load and watch. Most of the time it will play for a second or two then stop to reload, sometimes that's where it stops cold. The PC won't run the printer it's hard wired to anymore, the Lap Top runs it fine.

Silly, I feel like we will all soon need to be part of the Borg.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I may chime in....... used windows for years. Hours of frustration. I have found that trying to cogent advice on almost any problem from Microsoft is near impossible. Trying to troubleshoot a Windows machine by following Microsoft support advice is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. I certainly wish I could recover all the time I wasted on Windows see computers and software problems.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Well haven't gotten the 10 window yet, but I see another way they will force you to do so. I have Vista on a laptop and XP on a PC.
In the last couple of weeks I've been getting the warning of no more updates from Windows. And all of a sudden multiple programs no longer function as they did last week. Forums I belong to now take minutes to load the home page, just like old dial up. You Tube? Forget it, a 2-3 minute video takes over 15 minutes to load and watch. Most of the time it will play for a second or two then stop to reload, sometimes that's where it stops cold. The PC won't run the printer it's hard wired to anymore, the Lap Top runs it fine.

Sounds to me like you might have picked up a PUP (potentially unwanted program). If these changes happened quickly, there may be more going on in your machine than you know. However, there are also all these new codes that force older software to work herder - but your system doesn't usually notice a change THAT quickly.

What kind of antivirus and other security do you have? Also (and don't answer this), do you ever visit any "questionable" websites?!?!? Many websites nowdays can install things on your system JUST BY VISITING THEIR SITE!!

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds to me like you might have picked up a PUP (potentially unwanted program). If these changes happened quickly, there may be more going on in your machine than you know. However, there are also all these new codes that force older software to work herder - but your system doesn't usually notice a change THAT quickly.

What kind of antivirus and other security do you have? Also (and don't answer this), do you ever visit any "questionable" websites?!?!? Many websites nowdays can install things on your system JUST BY VISITING THEIR SITE!!
If your willing to learn this site used to be a great site to learn how to combat such problems. Wilders Security Forums

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Install "NoScript" to Firefox browser and look at the TONS of javascript that is being run from all over ... not including the ads ... and you'll understand why this place can slow to a crawl even on a fast computer with a good connection.

Also, Micro$loth is causing the changes in much software ... they need to be compatible with windoze 10 or they can't play.

Just like Micro$loth messed up a bunch of folks who used HP Printers designed for win98. Your beautiful photo printer when used under XP suddenly printed what looked like smudged comic book images. Odd thing is, when 7 came along, back to printing perfect.

BTW, get Malwarebytes from Malwarebytes.org and see if that doesn't help with your speed issues. Malware (PUPs, etc.) really slows you down.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Linux since Dec. 1999. All these issues are like legends to me. :D

Linux is free. those with little computer knowledge may need to find a kid to install it and set it up for you, of course. they can set it up dual-boot so when you start the computer if you want Windows, it is there, or use Linux.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mirror image your hard drive with multiple drives, what is on one drive is on the other drives, that way if a hard drive dies all your info is still there.....I mirrored mine with 3 Western Digital 1 terabyte drives, I can lose up to 2 drives at same time and still retain all my data....

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
...Assuming no maleware slips by on the first drive.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a friend help walk me through removing all the KBytes that were installed in my computer. I had to go into the control panel, install/uninstall area, and find it. (I'm NOT very computer litterate either). (Get it, litter-ate, cat, litter....nevermind).
I was also given this program, but have not run it yet (as I deleted the K34085 or whatever it was, that was windows 10).

windows_remove_spyware(3) (for some reason, it's not hyperlinking, you may have to search for the program)

I did read an article the other day, said if we don't upload to win10 by July 29, then the are going to charge over $100 to get it after that(maybe that will put an end to the w10 pop-up).
It did also say, that our old win7 is going to be protected/patched/updated, until 2020. If I read that right.
I know many of you all know a lot more than me on computers. These are just a few steps I looked at, hope they may can help someone else.

eta, oh I'm totally off IE, too (unless I accidentley click the icon or have to pull up a cheezeburger or link on Vsee videophone). Strictly Firefox now.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I swore off IE many years ago! Also a Firefox fan.

"(Get it, litter-ate, cat, litter....nevermind)"
Hilarious!! ...But now I just gotta ask, just how many cats do you have, anyhow? :dontknow:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Dolphins are very,very intelligent. They have trained some Humans to stand on the pool edge and toss them fish." .... So say's GA Boy / Marvin!

Well, I guess you haven't stood on the pool edge long enough. Won't take long and your ass will be IN the pool! Fish be damned! :laughing7:
...I started to question this, but decided I didn't even wanna know. :-\
I just figured it was something to do with, Thanks For All The Fish...... :laughing7:

"(Get it, litter-ate, cat, litter....nevermind)"
Hilarious!! ...But now I just gotta ask, just how many cats do you have, anyhow? :dontknow:
I only had one cat in my life. She lived for over 20+ years and was my best friend. :notworthy:
I have birds now. Ya know, spare snacks, gotta be prepared.... :tongue3: :laughing7:
I've had my pair of goodbirds since May of "99. I take good care of my little charges. :notworthy:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My point was.... Since their in the pool and "we're" throwing in the fish everything will work out. Stop throwing in the fish and just stand their long enough and you'll be the "fish". That was all.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had terrible luck with computers the last few weeks. Had a mechanical hard drive malfunction, lost everything. New computer lasted one day and I got the blue screen of death. They replaced that one with the one I have now, has Windows 10 on it, and the more I use it, the more I'm getting disgusted with windows 10. I've had a MAC in the past, and I just might go that route again, I'm certainly not happy with Microshaft right now. When I finally get used to the changes I suppose I'll feel better about it, but right now I'm not a real happy camper. My 16 year old grandson has no problems with it, and he got my gmail back for me, and has been a big help getting me back up to speed on this infernal contraption.

you may not have lost everything, check these links, if you dont think you can do it
maybe someone you know can help you

you will need one of these
http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter...79189-9954826?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

search term.......Access Data From Hard Drive Through USB Adapter

links on how to, i just did one of my old drives using win os 10 puter
i could see my files,and click dragged them to a file i created on the
desk top, feel free to ask how ill try to help

links how to
How to Recover Data from a Crashed Hard Drive - TheTechMentor.com
How to Get Data Off an Old Hard Drive (Without Putting It in a PC)

a search at the how to geek site
Search Results

Last edited:

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
...Assuming no maleware slips by on the first drive.

once HD is hooked by usb up to puter, right click scan with your virus program

when it shows up in This PC under devices and drives
img of
http://winaero.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Windows-10-drive-letters-after-labels.png

right click on the device and see this scan with whatever virus program you have installed
img of
https://www.tekrevue.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/windows-10-right-click-scan-with-defender.jpg

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ok here's what I have done for failsafe. I bought a program called "Casper"(the friendly ghost, about $50). It installs on your hard drive and looks for a "new" drive from then on. If you install a new hard drive, when you power up the PC(desk top) it will come up and ask you what you want to do. Partition the new drive, copy Drive C to the new drive? Copy all to the new drive and then turn off the PC. Unplug the new or old drive and go from there. The drive that is unplugged can not be damaged but anything but totally crushing the hard drive. If this go horribly wrong, Use the backup as your main drive and re-run Casper and re write the original. Drive are cheap now. www.microcenter.com or go to a local Fry's store if you have one.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know what this means? I just use Yahoo for E-Mail.
I got this message from Yahoo.
It looks like you haven't signed into a*****rs for quite some time. Please sign into your account on Yahoo within the next 60 days if you'd like to keep your account active.
Thanks, Marvin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread