Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just got back the box plate I dug a few weeks ago that I sent off to Robert McDaniel who is an expert in the field. The plate was crumpled on the top and slightly on the bottom, making the lead backing smaller on one end. I'm pretty sure it was hit by a plow. He also put hooks on the back and straightened it out as you can see what it looked like in the thread below after I found it.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/502053-dug-my-first-box-plate-yesterday.html

Here is the way the plate looks today and I'm so proud to have it in my collection. I know many think restoring a find takes away from it but I do not and that's just me personally.i will never sell any of my relics and if I did I would be 100% forthcoming. He also restored my CS buckle for me a few weeks ago as well as my breastplate I dug a few years ago and I was so pleased with them that I decided then and there that if I found anything that could look better I would send it to Robert. Thanks for looking!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks pretty darn good to me :icon_thumleft:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
It's not perfect, but there's no real sign it was ever damaged as it was when you found it.

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's not perfect, but there's no real sign it was ever damaged as it was when you found it.

See that's the thing about his restoration processes that I admire so much, he does just enough. As a relic digger himself he knows how it should look without overdoing it.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Stabilized and a long life ahead of it.
Quite a piece you recovered still.
I see no harm done.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You had a great job done lady.... not to much but just enough. It looks great!!!! Congrats.... :occasion14:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"...just enough...". I think that is the key. You can tell he loves his work and is good at it. Congrats again on another incredible find. Your collection is very enviable:icon_thumright:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That's really good!! Kudos to Mr. McDaniel.

Would I be out of line to ask how much the restoration cost? It's not like I'm gonna find any around here, but I think that kind of restoration can only increase the value of the piece....providing the cost wasn't gynormous.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
''Smashing'' ''Good job there I might say!'' :thumbsup:

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's really good!! Kudos to Mr. McDaniel.

Would I be out of line to ask how much the restoration cost? It's not like I'm gonna find any around here, but I think that kind of restoration can only increase the value of the piece....providing the cost wasn't gynormous.

You would not be out of line at all kcm. He charged me $70 total, probably because it was not an extensive process. The other pieces I had done cost msomewhat more but there was more work involved. There are different schools of thought about restoration increasing the value of a piece or not. Most true collectors and relic traders do not like for relics to be altered in any way unless the piece is too far gone to be displayed,and the owner just wants it fixed. Too much chance for an unscrupulous person to hoodwink someone. I have seen belt plates folded in half here on TN that he has straightened out. You might find something in Minnesota that you truly value and want it fixed, I hope you do!

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
You might find something in Minnesota that you truly value and want it fixed, I hope you do!

Yes, ME! :laughing9:

Thanks CG, appreciate. That's a fair price for the work done, and he does very good work! And as for restoration, in this case I think it was a good thing. The piece looks MUCH better than it did before.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He did a heck of a job. Turned out really nice. You keep finding many more plates, might have to change your name to PlateMasta:)!---HH

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Freakin' BEEEautiful.......

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would not be out of line at all kcm. He charged me $70 total, probably because it was not an extensive process. The other pieces I had done cost msomewhat more but there was more work involved. There are different schools of thought about restoration increasing the value of a piece or not. Most true collectors and relic traders do not like for relics to be altered in any way unless the piece is too far gone to be displayed,and the owner just wants it fixed. Too much chance for an unscrupulous person to hoodwink someone. I have seen belt plates folded in half here on TN that he has straightened out. You might find something in Minnesota that you truly value and want it fixed, I hope you do!

Older Thread I know but Still relevant.

I found a Box Plate a little over a year ago that was folded in half ; U on one side & 'S' on the other , also It was punched through from the back with a large Nail or something like that.
It also has some Rim damage ,where IMO it was hit with a Hammer that just bent that one area down from the Face.

I would just like it Straitened Out, U S With hole in between the letters is fine , even the pressed down rim is fine with me.

So Have you seen pieces this Bent with Lead Back , Straitened out w/o the lead cracking?

Just thinking (Knowing) it would Display better , heck it even still has both hook's intact on the back tho you have to look into the Bend to see them.

I suppose this is a Question. ?

Thanks Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread