Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. It's bad for all of us. We seem to all be judged by the bad people in our hobby. You never read about the good things detectorest have done. Only the bad ones.

HH, Relic Nut

MUDSLINGER

Apr 4, 2014
Bourbon IN.
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why can't we use some of that modern technology that boasts the ability to read the face of a dollar bill while circling the planet and zero in on a time frame and get a vehicle description of these thieves. I thought the FBI could readily do this?

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why can't we use some of that modern technology that boasts the ability to read the face of a dollar bill while circling the planet and zero in on a time frame and get a vehicle description of these thieves. I thought the FBI could readily do this?

Probably not top priority on there to do list.

I have been to this battlefield and drooled over what could lay in the ground in front of me. These idiots deserve to be busted.

OP
OP
relichunters

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Maybe we should start posting good things about our hobby and get the media involved, such as donating items to museums and such. You know how the hell's angels had clubs in different cities, we could band together and form an alliance to do good things and help out police for finding objects and search and recuse.

But on another note, if I see one of these Aholes out there, I am going to turn them in or punch them in the face myself.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They either got some balls or are very stupid. I knew a couple boys that got caught over here in Spotsylvania. 3 years federal prison, lost the truck, gear, $250,000, fine, and as far as I know it is now illegal for them to even own a machine. But on another note, I think the government should let some people hunt that land. Why let all that history rot in the ground, at least excavate it and put it in museum's? Everything should be fare game except maybe the earthworks ImO.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder how many of those finds, if any we've hit the like button on?

HH, Relic Nut

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some real friggin idiots behind this.

Very sad to hear.

OP
OP
relichunters

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
They either got some balls or are very stupid. I knew a couple boys that got caught over here in Spotsylvania. 3 years federal prison, lost the truck, gear, $250,000, fine, and as far as I know it is now illegal for them to even own a machine. But on another note, I think the government should let some people hunt that land. Why let all that history rot in the ground, at least excavate it and put it in museum's? Everything should be fare game except maybe the earthworks ImO.

I used to argue the same point, why let it rot in the ground. However because at least half of the people will sell their finds, no one knows where the items came from, it's history is lost. When you pull a very important item from a historic area, it needs to recorded that it was discovered there.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to argue the same point, why let it rot in the ground. However because at least half of the people will sell their finds, no one knows where the items came from, it's history is lost. When you pull a very important item from a historic area, it needs to recorded that it was discovered there.
Battle fields could allow digging with permit, under supervision, with finds going in there museum with recognition for the digger. Would be the best of both worlds. They could save the history and it would look good for our hobby. But that will never happen

HH, Relic Nut

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe we should start posting good things about our hobby and get the media involved, such as donating items to museums and such. You know how the hell's angels had clubs in different cities, we could band together and form an alliance to do good things and help out police for finding objects and search and recuse.

But on another note, if I see one of these Aholes out there, I am going to turn them in or punch them in the face myself.

I agree with US needing more good coverage. There are always man stories about hunters donating finds to museums. They just are not interesting enough to people who do not hunt. What does spark their eye is when one of us screw up like this and then they try to paint us all with the same brush.

In regards to comparing us with a minority of the Hells Angels who have a majority in more illicit means of support. I do not think that would be a good place to start.

Kellyco had one of those things not long ago about sending them your finds. Treasure Net could also do the same; T-Net pulls in more publicity world wide than Kellyco ever will. It could paint a more colorful picture about us and perhaps make the site some money for operating cost. It would be some very good PR if they could find a place or two who would take our finds.

I think it would be really cool.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Do you REALLY believe the US Government should retask a spy satellite to look for Nighthawks? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Yeah, that is going to go over well when Cincinnati has an atomic terrorist attack, and we come to find out the spy satellite that was formerly following the terrorist cell was retasked to watch a Civil War Battlefield!

We actually had the technology to read a pack of cigarettes from space in the mid-1980s. Probably even longer ago, but I saw what we could do then. Can't say much about before. Now, we have live feed, real time, HD video in thermal, infra red, or straight video with zero compression.

As Admiral Robert Inman said: that if you imagine technology from your wildest dreams, we are actually about 25 years ahead of that (in secret).

Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
relichunters

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Battle fields could allow digging with permit, under supervision, with finds going in there museum with recognition for the digger. Would be the best of both worlds. They could save the history and it would look good for our hobby. But that will never happen

HH, Relic Nut

I tried that. I prepared a long list and documents to create an authorized state metal detector permit, I went to Richmond, VA and presented it to the state archaeologist (wanted the governor but blah) and was shot down.
They would rather put us in jail rather than try actually fixing it.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I *really* dislike the term "Treasure Hunters" being used to describe theft -- they are thieves / vandals, NOT treasure hunters.

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a terrible law... Englands laws are much better, I would rather it be recorded than lay in the ground. But the law is the law. And as for making us look bad, ask anyone about a metal detectorist and they will say its some guy on the beach with a Geiger counter...

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder how many of those finds, if any we've hit the like button on?

HH, Relic Nut
Very possible , but probably not many. Would like to think people have more since then that. Government probably has game cam's and all kinds of stuff set up in them places. But can you imagine how much stuff there would be to find on those major battle fields?... Would probably make a mans head spin. I did know a old timer that hunted the Bloody Angle before the government/Park service took over the land.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread