All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm confused, so is it illegal to detect battlefields?
Illegal on national park battlefields, state battlefields, legal on battlefields on private property......

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'm confused, so is it illegal to detect battlefields?

The TYPE ACTIVITY is not what determines "illegal" versus "legal" to md. It's a question of what type land is it.

Also the term "battlefield" is a little arbitrary too. But there is/was countless little skirmishes , camps, etc..... too that could be on public land that's not off-limits to md'ing. Heck, there could be major battles on land that's not off-limits to md'ing.

Tom Bigbee

Feb 17, 2009
Miss/ Ala
Detector(s) used
1266X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last year Vicksburg National Park reported finding holes but I don't think they immediately blamed detectorists and a few days later determined it was wild hogs that were stirring up the ground. The hogs were forced to move in there due to flooding.... As far as the nighthawkers, we all know how hard it is to get permission on what little private property remains that contains relics and some see it as the only way they will ever get a chance to dig Civil War relics in there lifetime is to sneak into a battlefield. I'm certainly not taking up for them, they shouldn't do it and get what they deserve. All I'm saying is that urge to find something from that war is strong enough to make some people break the law. Some type of drawing each year that would let the winners do some detecting for a few hours at certain areas of parks seems like it would work. They could keep some items and the park could keep some.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions