Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry

I had served in the Air Force many years ago during the Cuba Crisis. Many people mostly young people believe this a day for fun, cook outs, picnics which is not. There are thousands who still living who observed their friends killed before their eyes, and also watching their friends being injury to this very day. We should not fighting any wars today, but let the foreign countries fight their own wars with their own solders and money. We still losing lives and many solders coming back descend and or serious injury. We should honor our men and women who gave their lives serving our great nation, not one day a year, but, everyday, in providing great health care, providing great paying jobs. May God bless all of us who serve our country. I do not blame the young man, no more do I blame all the stores that are open today. I agree with # 21.

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Ha ha ha.... couldn't afford to celebrate.

Most people don't know what our holidays are about.

It's a day off work, a day to suck up beer and brats...

Easter is about a chocolate rabbit.Labor day is about the end of summer. Christmas is about getting stuff under a fake tree on the 25th....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
vietnamwall_reflectb2_1_.jpg

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it Just us 1% that served that actually display flags on Memorial Day. I don't see very many out today. I guess it's more important to teach texting on cell phones in schools today instead of REAL history.

I hear ya, my home is the only one on my street flying Old Glory.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other

When my dad passed away (Korean War vet), there was a man from Dad's church that volunteered to play Taps - he told how it is normally done using a recording these days. I called around and tried to find out if the playing of Taps would be live or pre-recorded, and was told they "thought" it would be live. As the friend had also said he wasn't very good, I opted to go with the men who came there for the funeral. What a mistake!

The music was beautiful, but it just didn't have that "realism" to it that a real horn would have. Then to top it off, the man at the tail of the flag was a first-timer and got nervous. They folded the flag and, on the 3rd not-so-good attempt, the Sergeant at the head of the flag subtly instructed the younger Airman that this would have to do - they were disrupting the service.

After the service, once most of the visitors had left, the Sergeant and the younger Airman re-folded the flag - this time with the Sergeant at the tail. He apologized repeatedly.

I know it can get disorienting up there for newbies, but I would MUCH rather have had Taps played for real, even if poorly, than to have the pre-recorded version. That was my mistake, and I have to live with it.

Sorry, didn't mean to get off-topic. ....It's Old Dude's fault! :tongue3:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
one either believes in rights or only the 'rights' one approves of

at least he was exercising his right to do it

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember as a kid in the 50s, when Memorial day parades were big and I recall how sad some of the "old-timers" (my father's generation) looked. It wasn't a celebration or big sale for them. It was a solemn time. They had just finished their war. They didn't know there was another in store for mine. My parents both served in the Pacific in WWII and even in her 80s, when she struggled to get out of the lawn chair, my mother stood proudly with her hand over her heart as Old Glory passed by. Now I'm old (and goofy looking with long hair) but I'm proud to have earned the right to salute the flag even though I no longer wear a uniform. There are many more of us than you know, as we tend to be quiet. Even though today is formally a day to remember those who have died in war, I thank all of you who served. God bless America and the troops who defend her!
dts

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Memorial Day is a day to pause give thanks and remember those who gave their life for our freedoms.

Some people will never understand this.........

381be476be6c4a7a42608e967a733c35.jpg

Last edited:

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Not to make excuses for the kid, but I've had a couple of them come to my door. It seems like some company is hiring kids from the local college down the street to do this. Most are ill prepared to do the job, and in talking with their "supervisor" I got the idea this is more a scam then anything for those kids. The company forces them to do so many cold calls per day, no matter the day. And if they don't get a sale or enough visits listed, they are tossed to the street, as there are plenty more to take their place.

And yes, to most anymore, they have no clue as to the meaning of the holiday. Maybe that's part of the problem, holiday is short for holy day to me, and Memorial stands for memory . If more would think of it that way, let alone for what that day stands for, there would be more understanding.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every male should be required to serve 4 years in the military, it is a responsibility owed for the freedoms we enjoy......

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you mean those identifying as male?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Every male should be required to serve 4 years in the military, it is a responsibility owed for the freedoms we enjoy......

I don't agree. Finland does that, but they are a very small country - half the land mass of Texas and about the same population as the Greater Houston Area. They are right next door to Russia, who has tried (and succeeded) to take control in the past.

We have no enemies to the north or south (ok, but nothing like Finland to Russia :tongue3:), and PLENTY of people to fill the rolls with just volunteers. It would be NICE if everyone had to go through some such training/experience(s), so as to learn discipline, respect, trust (life and death), etc. But when you start "forcing" people to do this or that, then you're denying them their Freedom(s).

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Every male of sound body and mindshould be required to serve 4 years in the military, it is a responsibility owed for the freedoms we enjoy......

Fixed that for you.

From my experience, I can think of several people who should have never made it beyond the courtroom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fixed that for you.

From my experience, I can think of several people who should have never made it beyond the courtroom.
Deft your new so no warning, but please DO NOT change any members quotes, keep their quote word for word...

Also please no characters in place of letters to bypass the language censor....

Last edited:

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Memorial Day, Veterans Day and Independence Day.........If it were not for the sacrifices made by brave souls that must be honored on those days, there wouldn't be any other holidays.............

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Deft your new so no warning, but please DO NOT change any members quotes, keep their quote word for word...

Also please no characters in place of letters to bypass the language censor....

Guess I screwed up as well, in another thread.....jokingly, of course.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread