Five Incredible Metal Detector Finds

mom&dad

May 31, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1946, the postal inspectors used a mine detector borrowed from the U.S. Army found $153,150 buried in the deceased postal employee’s backyard, he has stolen the money years before. The money was hidden in jars and cans inside the stovepipe, and it was buried about nine feet deep.

In 1966, it reported that a group of treasure hunters using metal detectors rediscovered the lost San Saba gold mine in Texas. But the treasure hunting was abandoned by the Spaniards in 1758, because the relevant zones were seriously overrun by Comanche Indians.

20151103083615_12636.jpg

In 1966, in Detroit, a group of people unearthed a Model T Ford, it is said that a man buried it in his backyard back in 1926, in order to preserve it for posterity.

In 1976, James Garigues, one metal-detecting enthusiast, found alive.75 millimeter tank shell in Alabama, which officials believed may have been a World War II souvenir. Now the shell has been successfully removed by a military demolition crew.

In 2008, Mike DeMar found a gold chalice with his metal detector when he was driving off Key West, and it's probably very likely come from a Spanish treasure ship which sank in 1622.

Last edited by a moderator:

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Very interesting! Thanks for posting!! :thumbsup:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool stuff and nice read. Thanks! I'm just wondering who would have dug such a loud and large hit as a car would make, and then keep digging and digging and digging.....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Love the citation of the 1946 find. Those WWII mine detectors were notorious performers. Could not find coin sized stuff. Only jar or hubcap sized type stuff. Hence about the efficiency of a 2-box detector (despite being the standard rod & loop setup).

And I question the "9 ft. deep" ! That's a feat for even a top-notch 2-box of today ! So that must have been a BIG stove-pipe hiding container.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread