People avoidance is hindering my detecting!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Winter on the beach is great.
The ocean gives up her secrets in winter.
The sand gets sucked out...
cuts are everywhere.

The wind is the only drawback.
But calm cool morning... yep.

When i detect... i want quiet... so as to hear that steady low threshold hum...
And...
That faint ... faint... faint... barely audible... change in sound. :)

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It sounds like a personal preference. People don't bother me, I try to pick parks with little to no activity if I do not have a permission lined up. I do keep one ear uncupped by my headphones when I am near people just so I can stay alert. Heck I was hunting one time at a grade school one Sunday mid morning. I was about 10 ft away from the parking lot when I noticed a police pull up from te corner of my eye. I acted like I did not notice him and after a few minutes he beeped his horn. When I walked over to him he asked if I was having any luck and then asked if I seen a big dog on the loose. He was checking up on a call from a concerned neighbor. I did not see a dog during the time I was at the school, he wished me luck and I continued my hunt. The times I leave a site is when the kids from the other side of the park run over and swarm around me to the point they get in the way of my coil sweeps and you can't see what's in the hole since there are 3 or 4 other heads peaking in below mine.

You do what you are comfortable with. You only have to please yourself (unless your married) then it's all about her feelings. :tongue3:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every now and then someone might come past me in a canoe or Kayak when I am in the water but they usually just wave and paddle faster. I don't have any parks or public places here to speak. My whole city is a battlefield so you hunt publicly its in a yard outside designated National park lines. I hunt properties that border Chickamauga Military park but always know where the boundary markers are and never ever cross those or you are history!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm guessing you are young?
When you get to 60 you could not care less what anyone thinks

as for the babydolls, I find that they come up most often to ask if I found anything ( It may just be my amazing bod)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing you are young?
When you get to 60 you could not care less what anyone thinks

as for the babydolls, I find that they come up most often to ask if I found anything ( It may just be my amazing bod)

I could care less what anyone thinks.
That's not it.
It what i think. :)
I enjoy the peace...
NOW... If it is another detectorist ... i will stop.
But this is very rare.
I see a detectorist i work away.
IF they approach... i work away faster :P lol j/k... well kinda.

I am just a figure in the mist... ONWARD THROUGH THE FOG !

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no problems with people watching me. That said, I never dig good targets in front of them. I learned early on that digging good targets with people around only keeps them lingering and waiting to see what comes up next. If you dig trash in front of them they tend to get bored pretty quick and move on.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
another good crowd dissipater is to announce " I have to pee" then reach down to unzip

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh... and as far as the "babydolls"... my girl detects with me 99% of time.
And she is a baby doll. :)
I went out of my way to meet a detectorist one time... ever.
And met 2...
From here.
They are the only 2 people whom I have ever met from here.
Even though brief.
Itwas a good day... and i enjoyed meeting them.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I felt uneasy when people watched me when I first started, but fought through the feeling........The only time I leave a site now is when it's a tot lot and the kids show up to use the equipment in the area I'm detecting.........then I move to another area of the tot lot...................

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another way of looking at it is...
I am giving people THEIR space as well.

I am not one to go in "entitled" to detect around people.
Even if i have that right...
Does not mean i should exercise it.

Out of respect.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the feedback, guys. It makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only one that dislikes the general public.

I notice a few guys have brought up incedents of people messing with or bothering them. This has not happened to me. Although I am not a jerk, I have been described as an intimidating person, so maybe that's a blessing lol. It's simply the people being there that bothers me. My wife does all the shopping by herself anymore, because I get pissy with the crowds and want to hurry out. She prefers to browse.

I realize that I probably have some sort of social anxiety disorder, but whatever. I'll just keep detecting when there are very few people out and about. Oh, and about my age: I'm 31. I think my intolerance of people keeps getting worse as I get older, so I don't think aging will be a saving grace!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't even remember being 31, the only people who approach me are kids ( although on the beach the ladies do)
I like telling kids about it

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the feedback, guys. It makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only one that dislikes the general public.

Just an afterthought.........it may be that most of us are highly independent people that prefer our own company to that of others that do not share similar interests..........

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an afterthought.........it may be that most of us are highly independent people that prefer our own company to that of others that do not share similar interests..........

This does not mean that we are not caring, personable people......nor does it mean that we are reclusive. It's just that our particular hobby/pass time lends itself to the solitary individual connected to his/her own inner thoughts...........

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only tolerate humans when I'm on a hot spot.There are unlimited places to hunt for me,even if some imagination is required.I will always prefer to be left alone.I have an idea....maybe a vest that says stay back 100 ft radiation detection in progress.

or

inmate work detail,keep back

or

no !!!! I never find anything good you a######

jus thinking out loud...I'll shut up now

azdave

Dec 12, 2014
southern AZ
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I seek out ONLY places of early territorial AZ that have been long forgotten and unknown. So if I "see" anyone else in these remote areas, I'm not far out enough or in the wrong spot.
I have a serious distaste for "most" members of modern American society....and detecting is my alone time, so I will drive hours to get to researched locations, and hike miles in if necessary to find them. I EXPECT to not see anyone, and in the few instances someone else does come across my path, they usually never know I'm WATCHING THEM as they pass.
IF you are going to detect public, urban areas.... how can anyone expect not to be "watched?" Absolutely no disrespect for those that enjoy that, as we all are different, but if that is where I had to detect, I would never swing again. I'll take a GSB or a dropped (unfired) 45-70 rd. found in some deep canyon that took me 3 hours to hike into over a handful of change from some tot-lot, or heck, even a gold ring if its of modern vintage.
I'm thinking Idaho has plenty of remote places that has bits of history yet unfound... maybe its time to put a few miles on the vehicle and hiking boots to find a few... not as convenient as just driving down the street, but it won't be for the others watching you, either, and you can enjoy the hobby the way it seems you need too.

Last edited:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
being watched is Natural Red Has been Working on it But it Still Is Unnerving At Times to Her!!! Kids are Easier to Handle Most times, Than Adults And their Stupid Comments Don't let them Drive You Away From A Wonderful Hobby Chug

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I notice a few guys have brought up incedents of people messing with or bothering them. This has not happened to me. Although I am not a jerk, I have been described as an intimidating person, so maybe that's a blessing lol. It's simply the people being there that bothers me. My wife does all the shopping by herself anymore, because I get pissy with the crowds and want to hurry out. She prefers to browse.

I realize that I probably have some sort of social anxiety disorder, but whatever. I'll just keep detecting when there are very few people out and about. Oh, and about my age: I'm 31. I think my intolerance of people keeps getting worse as I get older, so I don't think aging will be a saving grace!

Dan are you a Veteran? I ask because when I got out of the service I found I didn't like to go to concerts anymore, or hang out at the lake with a few hundred of my closet friends - if you know what I mean. It was anxiety, which brought on a touch of PTSD. To this day I can't eat if someone is watching me and not eating too. Tried a few prescriptions from the VA, but ended up just doing a bone before each hunt, which worked like a charm to relax me and take away that anxiety. Just sayin' :skullflag:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This does not mean that we are not caring, personable people......nor does it mean that we are reclusive. It's just that our particular hobby/pass time lends itself to the solitary individual connected to his/her own inner thoughts...........

This is it... Primarily.
But...
There is also other things that factor in...
Like I got tired of THE SAME conversation with people... 30 years ago ! heh

When I was a kid the guys that I would see go by me detecting never stopped and talked.
Only the ones that knew my dad would "share their secrets".
It was like a "secret society" and none of them wanted "new people" on their turf / spots.
They kinda fought for their areas.
And would be pissed if another guy came in.
Welp those guys are mostly gone... and the collections they had were representative of their hard work.

But I can tell you this for sure... They sure as hell did not encourage others... in any way shape or form.

Now I know times have changed... and a few of those old timers still exist...
but prolly don't even own a computer let alone know how to join a site to "chime in here" and verify what I am saying.
Perhaps a few of them are lurking here.

But me...
heh... last time I was at Sebastian... many years ago after the last big storm... was in the RV park at The State Inlet.
Was approached by some fellow detectorists... who were camped in the next spot.
Who apparently saw me as someone they really wanted and needed to try and talk to.
One of them had a 12 year old daughter who was fascinated ... I mean like she had the bug...
But no detector... she wanted one but just had been helping dad and his buddy so far...
These guys were cool and I taught them a few tricks... and lent the kid a small earth and science detector that I kept in the RV for finding nails and screws on the cuff around my tires.
She never stopped...
She found six nails in my RV spot and a slew of stuff... she was "focused" to say the least.

Come morning... she had her first detector. :)
And I took my chances with nails for the rest of the trip.
I often wonder... if she stuck with it...
and if the gift inspired dad to "kick it up a notch" with her.
For that was me at one time.

HECK ! she could be... OR dad could be... a member here.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The only time people have ever been AFRAID to be around me is when I looked like this. I have reserved posting this picture until now. It still makes us laugh to this day. It was at a sweet detecting spot so I'll give it that,lol. I had run into a root underground that I couldn't cut with my then shovel and sweetly asked my husband if he would cut it for me. Needless to say,my face got too close to the hole in anticipation and this.... this happened,lol. In actuality I don't mnd if people are curious at first and watch for a little bit but then eventually they get the subtle hint they let me get back to it without an audience. I have let kids help me detect and let a few use my machine for a bit but when it's apparent the parents are using me to babysit them I give a not so subtle( albeit nice) hint. I hope I didn't scare the newbie away.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread