Planning a Trip, but Where?

zdawg3579

Feb 23, 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all! I live in Arizona and have been detecting for a couple years now. Unfortunately, I haven't found any coins older than 1910...and even then, I only have a couple. Arizona does not have nearly the history or finds that say Pennsylvania, Georgia or some of the much older states. Now, I want to plan a trip...due to financial and time constraints, however, I have decided to keep the trip on the western half of the U.S. (maybe a N.E. trip next year??). I would love to hear from some of the fellow detectorists around here where I should point my sights. I'd expect most responses to be by PM and that's fine. Just simply looking for some direction. I only have maps for Arizona and the internet to help me; which lets face it, is about as good as throwing a dart at a map of the states. Any and all help is appreciated, thank you!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Unfortunately , this is a difficult question to answer. Because even if someone had a particular park that routinely still "gives up silver" (ie: coins 1910 and older let's say), perhaps they're not eager to get more competition?

But let's say you had a particular location in mind. Like you said "coming to San Diego, anyone want to hook up?" Then you're being more specific on geography. Rather than just "western half of the USA". And then you can deduce if they're just sandbox hunters destined to find more clad, versus someone who's got spots producing old coins you'd like to graduate up to.

Also: some of the hardcore guys on here , who routinely post show & tell of old coins they find, doesn't mean that spots they might be able to take you to, would necessarily produce the same for you. Because perhaps it's not just the locations you hunt, but maybe your ability, type machine, patience, etc.... ? Don't take that as an insult, but ... just sayin'

OP
OP
Z

zdawg3579

Feb 23, 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I kept it pretty loosely and just wanted direction. I don't expect anyone to necessarily meet up and I haven't settled on a place because I want this trip to be geared solely towards hunting and similar historical activities. If I say "I'll be going to Portland this fall" I'm committing to a location I don't know much about. Sure, several battles have occurred there like the Cascades (less of a battle and more of a massacre), but it might be far worse than some other location on the west coast. Simply looking for guidance. Even looking for a state to really focus on would benefit me. There's just so much history scattered all over the west I simply can't search through it all on my own. I knew my post wouldn't turn up longitude and latitude coordinates of great locations, I can do that research myself. Just having even a state or region would be awesome.

I have a Garrett AT Gold Pro with several coils and the whole equipment set. Obviously freshwater is my limitation there with aquatics, but I can purchase a freshwater detector if that is where I may find better yields.

In closing, I want ghost towns, battle sites or maybe even heavily used routes. Places where I can hope to find pieces of history to add to my collection.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Then if I was you, I'd stick right there in AZ. Do this: research the locations of stage stops. Immediately throw out all the "colorful" ones, that are all done up as tourist traps (eg.: OK corral, etc...). Find the out-of-the-way ones, that have nothing left there. Ie.: just a fork in the road where a stop used to exist, yet nothing there now but a few out of -place trees.

And not just the obvious "Butterfield" or Pony express type ones, but even research the little smaller lines that connected smaller cities together (as there was competing lines, and lines of only-local significance)

You get the picture. THOSE can be good. And there's bound to be lots in AZ that are now in the middle of nothingness. Since AZ contains LOT of open space nothingness. These stops were usually 15 to 20 miles apart. A lot of them grew into towns we have today (hence skip those too, since the "stop" will be under the middle of a downtown district). But others just faded at the advent of the automobile, and are now nothing but a barn that remains, a cow pasture, etc....

OP
OP
Z

zdawg3579

Feb 23, 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very good point, I will look into it. I have done this in the past and pulled up old WW2 Military stuff (likely used in training). Hoping to find older. I'll see. Thank you!

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to live in Bullhead City, If I were still there I think I'd be across the river in Laughlin.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
When we head for more fertile grounds, we look towards the oldest part of the country.

Philadelphia has been a good target. You can drive to NY or NJ from there. Boston is good too. Actually, almost anywhere in the north east should be good.

Best of luck to you sir!

OP
OP
Z

zdawg3579

Feb 23, 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, but I'd have to drive there, could fly. Not sure if such a trip could be done this fall. Have been thinking of going to the Texas /Louisiana border. A lot of civil war stuff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread