Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
"Haunted House" Treasures

The following is a story a friend of mine told me:
My metal detecting buddy, Jack, and I got permission to hunt the old “Haunted House,” at 913 Elm Street, in my parents’ home town. The man who owed the house said we could hunt the grounds surrounding the house as well as the house itself.
This is a little background on the house:
The house was built in 1890 by a young married couple. They had one son. When the United States entered the First World War, both the father and his son went to join the war. Both were killed during this action. When the wife found out about their deaths, she went quietly insane with grief. In 1921, she hung herself in the kitchen.
My friend and I got to the house about 7:00 A.M. We immediately began hunting the grounds. Jack and I hunted for about one hour and I was not finding much while he was finding a few old coins. Leaving my detector on the porch, I decided to look around inside the house. Aside from dust and spider webs, there was not much to see. I started in the living room. Each room I looked into was empty. I went into the kitchen, looked around and it was also empty. When I started to leave, I noticed part of the back splash had come loose behind the sink. I could see something behind the crack created behind it. Since the owner said we could look inside and outside of the house, I pulled on the back splash. When it came off, I could see a small old dark leather bag in the opening. Excitedly, I pulled the dusty bag out and it was a change purse. It had some weight to it and I could feel something inside. I opened it and poured the contents out onto the counter. There were thirteen coins, all dated 1913.
I hurried outside to show Jack my lucky find. I saw him standing on the sidewalk staring at the house. He had turned off his detector. I showed him the coins. He said this hunting site was just wrong, that it gave him the creeps. He then did something that I had never seen anyone do before. He went back into the yard, dug a hole, then took all his finds, which included some nice silver coins and relics, and reburied them. He told me to get rid of my finds. He ran to his car and left in a hurry.
I did not believe in ghosts, nor was I superstitious. After retrieving my detector, I took the change purse and walked to my truck. When I got there my left front tire was flat. I threw the change purse on the seat and spent the next thirty minutes changing the tire. I got in my truck to leave and it wouldn’t start. I called my wife to come and bring jumper cables. Immediately after I hung up with my wife, Jack called and said a deer ran across the road in front of him. He had swerved to miss the doe and was stuck in a ditch. He asked me to come and pull him out. I told him what had happened to my truck and he begged me to take the purse back into the house and get rid of it. I still didn’t believe in ghosts but by then, I was starting to feel spooked.
My wife pulled up in her car. She got out and asked me what was going on. I was explaining to her what had happened when she pointed over my shoulder at the house and asked who the woman was staring at us out the window. I glanced at the window and thought I saw something but I dismissed it as a play on shadow and light. I asked her to get her camera and take a picture of the change purse. When I started to open it she screamed and said for me not to open it. She said she was afraid to look inside. By this time she was shaking and I was shaking. I am 54 years old and have never been so scared in my life. I decided I had to put the change purse back. I went back into the house and ran back to the kitchen. I could feel something close by and it wasn’t a good feeling. I stashed to change purse back into the hiding place and pushed the backsplash into place. I wish I could say I was brave, but when I heard a voice say “Get OUT!” I ran out as fast as my legs would carry me.
When I got outside to my wife, we grabbed each other and held on for dear life. I had turned white as a sheet. My cell phone rang and it was Jack telling me some football players from the high school had drove up out of thin air to push his car out of the ditch, so he didn’t need my help after all. I got in my truck and turned the ignition. It started right up. That was the creepiest thing to ever happen to me. To this day when I drive by that house, I can still see a woman at the kitchen window.

Attachments

• dsc00547.jpg
    dsc00547.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 1,017

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Re: "Haunted House" Treasures

Who knows what happens sometimes. I've heard a few strange stories and I'm not the judge as to fact or fiction. This makes an interesting story!

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is very spooky Dman----I would sure be tempted to get those coins.

Maybe you could sneak back in there at night when nobody could see you and get them.

R

RUDY2003

Dang Dman, that story made the hairs on my neck stand up....Spooky....

Keep safe...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Merf said:
That is very spooky Dman----I would sure be tempted to get those coins.

Maybe you could sneak back in there at night when nobody could see you and get them.

I agree tell your friend to go back & get them &
the ones his Friend reBuried.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wierd...... :o

HH
-GC

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The only way to free that poor trapped spirit is to scatter the treasure.

Send me some. :D

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

That "treasure" needs to be retrieved! Make sure you take Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd with you, if it makes you feel better. ;D

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Dman,
Go back and get the coins but before you go sign up for AAA. They will change your tire, jump the car and pull you out of the ditch then your home free with a pocket full of old coins. LOL

NJ

Bluezman

Apr 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage

Yeah, go back and get them, and bring some friends for support. I'm sure when you go in there, they'll be wiling to wait for you............2 miles down the road.

Bluezman

cottonjim

Jan 12, 2007
S.W. MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Creepy story man, gave me the willies reading it and I don't believe in that kind of stuff. Kinda weird about the coin purse, 13 coins all dated 1913 and a house on elm street!!!!!! Creepy stuff.

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

I'm not tryin to sound like a tough guy, and I have been spooked before, but I think by that point I'd have figured the ghost owed me 13 coins for the tire I had to get plugged now. I'll go get 'em and share 'em with you 50/50.

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007

Your resident paranormal researcher says...I LOVE IT! Great story.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Very creepy story, give me chills while reading it...

I saw him standing on the sidewalk staring at the house. He had turned off his detector. I showed him the coins. He said this hunting site was just wrong, that it gave him the creeps.
Did your friend ever say what spooked him?

I have often wondered about digging up something that simply wasn't meant to be disturbed. I think you may have done the right thing by putting the coins back. You just never know...

I hunt in some pretty spooky places myself but, after reading this, instead of hunting my usual sites, I'll have to do my hunting in the most crowded park I can find today... ;D
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

ktreffin

May 29, 2007
Southwest Florida

OK, that freaked me out....

I would certainly let that change purse go....

I think I would even get rid of the picture of it....

Definately some bad MOJO happening there....

HH!

Ken

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ktreffin said:
OK, that freaked me out....

I would certainly let that change purse go....

I think I would even get rid of the picture of it....

Definately some bad MOJO happening there....

HH!

Ken

Leave the coins, there are plenty of other old coins out there to be found. It is not a coincidence that the coins are all dated 1913, it was probably the year the woman died or it is connected to the house...address. There are things out there that we don't understand and when we disturb them, there are consequences, like your friends experienced. I hunted ghosts for a few years and have heard "Get Out" a few times and it was never cool, it was terrifying...and I certainly listened every time and got the hell out.

V3 SNIPER

May 2, 2007
toronto
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer 2 pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

GO BACK AND GET THE COINS AND THIS TIME TAKE THE BUS OR MAINTIAN YOUR TRUCK BETTER...LOL :o :o DONT FORGET THE ONES IN THE GROUND THAT YOUR BUDDIE BURIED...

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX

I've always enjoyed reading ghost stories !! I've seen.....
and i believe too :o Maybe it's telling you "Get Out" because there
is more treasure IT doesn't want YOU to have ? As far as the tire
and the vehicle not starting.....coincidence I'd go back and search the
ground and the house and snap a lot of pic's too If you get a pic of HER
and some nice finds.....What a display that would be !! HH

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007

Yeah do post a picture of "her" if you get one. That would be interesting.

relikhunter

Jul 17, 2006
S.E. kansas
Detector(s) used
whites dfx garrett gtp 1350

Man really weird story!!!!Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up,and goosebumps.Never had anything like that happen to me,and hope it never does......rh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread