Help/Advice needed. Gold coin cache.Whats best unit that ignores ALL other signals?

OP
OP
morbiusandneo

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
The info was mentioned a "pouch" when last seen in the house.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab GPX 4500 or 5000, as far as depth in minerals. Btw, ignoring every other signal, that ain't likely. That's just not feasible without knowing the exact size of the object. Even then you may miss it.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... ACE250 is giving us false signals all the time!! (we dig them, signal disappears...ughhh...)

morbiusandneo, a bunch of answers:

a) me thinks you are using the 250 wrong. Yes it's true that that's an entry level detector. And yes it's true there's ones that handle minerals better, go deeper, etc... HOWEVER, since you're 1) looking for a very large object, and 2) estimate just a foot or so deep, then 3) a 250 still ought to be able to find a jar or toaster sized object at 1 ft. Even in bad ground. I don't know where you are at, but unless it's jet black nasty soil, or something strange at the continental divide mineralized-ground states, the 250 can cut most ground (albeit having to turn down the sens, etc...). Hence when someone complains of "disappearing signals", it's almost ALWAYS user error, not machine error. So ....

b) I would hook up with a proficient md'r in your area, and flag and compare suspected "disappearing signals". Perhaps your chasing 1 way flutter ? Perhaps your hearing the end of your steel toed boots ? Perhaps you're not understanding the subtle motion required while in disc. mode ? Etc... etc...

c) But assuming you're using it right, and assuming it is indeed a need for a better machine. I don't think at ATX will do you any better, but yes, it is a better machine. If you're finding lots of household/commercial type homestead junk, just be prepared that a better machine will simply find 2x that amount of junk.

..... screens out EVERYTHING and "sniffs" ONLY for gold very well from all my research.....

d) No. There is no machine that can sniff out "only gold", and reject all other metals. The only thing detectors can do, at best, is tell conductivity. And unfortunately lots of metals share conductivity. And size starts to play havoc on the conductivity. Ie.: while foil is said to be a low conductor, yet if you get a soda can size ball of densely packed foil wad, it will read up at quarter or whatever. Hence size plays into the TID. Thus no machine can tell gold vs silver, vs brass, vs aluminun, etc.... in a true sense.

e) Not to be a kill-joy, but be aware that treasure stories are a dime a dozen. Oh sure, when you hear them, they all seem to be bullet-proof and iron-clad. But when you're talking about 1808 to the present, then legends take hold, telephone game enters in, and all explanations to the contrary are long forgotten. Treasure lore is so fun and exciting to believe, that it just all-the-more-entrenched after 2 centuries, embellished and emboldened into absolute fact after enough tellings. Even original sources (faded newspaper clippings from the era, etc...) can have alternative explanations. Not saying that every campfire story urban legend is false. Just saying: be skeptical when hearing these wonderful stories.

f) I notice you say 12 to 15": That's a wise conclusion. Because there is a common misconception that all caches are, of necessity, super deep. And humorously: The more valuable the cache, then all-the-deeper it must be ! (6 to 9 ft. blah blah). But you're right: If someone way-back-when went to hide their stuff, then what the heck difference did 1 ft. versus 6 ft. make ? NOTHING. As long as the surface was invisible, then added depth did nothing more to hide it better. And go figure: the person was going to have to come back for it at some point they'd have figured. So why make it harder to retrieve ? If you've ever dug foxholes or bottle digging to 6 ft. deep, then you KNOW how much of a chore 1 ft. vs 6 ft. is. It's not merely "6x harder". The task grows exponentially, because to get a single foot of bottom space at 6 ft. deep, the the top of your hole is not merely "1 ft. wide", The hole has to be shaped like an ice cream cone, so that the sides don't cave in as you dig. So to get down 6 ft, your hole opening has to be like 6 ft. across ! Thus 30x as hard to reach 6x ft. versus 1 ft.

g) If you're truly looking for "big game" (a jar or toaster sized item), and hence don't want to fiddle with individual coins, tabs, nails, hinges, etc... : Then consider a 2 box machine. They will, by definition, simply not even hear object smaller than a fist-sized or can-sized object. Hence the perfect discriminator for pesky coin-sized items. And yes: They get a can sized object with ease to 1 to 2 ft. And yes can handle minerals if you're using them correctly. A TM-808 can be picked up on the used market for within your budget. And if you practice with it, by burying a soda can, mason jar filled with clad, etc... on the property, I'm betting that you will get your object to be quite distinct from false signals, flutters, etc....

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Need to remedy false signals.
Till I began using pinpointers I lost many too.
Turns out they were small objects and usually the detector was cranked up to at or near full sensitivity.
Could be spent lead shot or small caliber bullets, or decomposed nail ghosts all over on your site too.

I'd try being the ol man and where would I hide something and keep it accessible year round including frozen ground and leaving tracks in snow (if snow is common in winter).
A false wall in the outhouse? Under a tree , angled through it's roots? Under a slab of rock in the creek?

If he had gold ,why would he not have had silver also?

He had horses.
Horses ,at least some ,will whinny when a stranger comes around. That's not so bad for an alarm.
Too ,in the /a barn'''' tracks/ footprints are not going to tell on you as well when hiding something under the threshold ,or under a feed bunk , in a hollow beam that is not actually supporting something , in the earth or below the floor in a stallions stall , ect...
Less loss if spied on or tracked by having multiple hidey holes instead of one ,but who knows?

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder if theres bb's scattered around the area.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
The coins could also be buried in an iron pot!

How about renting another detector?

A person that knows his machine will be able to tell the difference from a small object compared to a toaster sized object.

Good luck but be prepared to dig everything. If the area has lots of buried iron (I am imagining an area where they buried cars and tractors and parts, etc. I have personally experienced these types of areas and I'm sure that I'm by far not the only one on here), you're gonna dig a lot of stuff.

Just adding to what Tom in CA said....

OP
OP
morbiusandneo

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Sorry guys!! I'm just giving up on this. It's just not worth the vicious character assassination resulting from just being cautious.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't Give Up Yet!

Set the sensitivity on 3 marks. Use the "Coin" mode. I have a Garrett Ace 250. If it doesn't seem to work properly, turn on the detector and hold the power button on until the detector beeps twice. That resets the detector! Then drop the sensitivity back to 3 marks. Sometimes you can run the detector at 4 marks in sensitivity, but usually I run at 3 marks. Watch these videos!

OP
OP
morbiusandneo

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
THNX for all the GREAT advice!! BEST of luck to everybody in their hunts!!! :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread