Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have any 'cheat sheets', but you gonna l o v e that M X T! ;) And I haven't done any nugget hunting yet, but sure wanna. :)
It's really not that hard to learn, just took me a couple of months! :P :D But then, hey...I'm Nana. :D I'm sure you will do much better! ;)

I always hunt in 'relic mode' and listen to the tones...and then look at the numbers...if they are good ones (on the positive side), then I dig it. Well..unless I am on CW sites, then I mostly dig it all. But..if you are going to hunt in the 'prospecting mode', then I don't have a clue! :D Good luck and hope you find some great keepers!!! Will look for your posts of your finds! :)

Nana :)

finder99

Tenderfoot
Sep 6, 2006
Des Moines Ia
Detector(s) used
MXT
Did you look on the bottom of the control box.It has settings for all 3 modes.
If thats what you are talking about as far as a cheat sheet. :)

musclecar

Oct 15, 2006
Nampa Idaho
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Like Nana, I hunt in the relic mode 99% of the time. I like using the tone that mode emits. You might start off using the coin mode, to learn the numbers, like I did. Then you will have a good idea of what is below the ground, using any mode.

GENERALLY in normal soil, this might help:

zinc penny = 67
copper penny 77
nickels 18-22
dimes 77-80
quarters 83

Pull tabs run all over the place.
Gold rings are like pull tabs.
Silver rings will give a good, high number.

GOOD LUCK! You have a great machine!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not a newbee, but I recently bought a slightly used MXT. I've found it fairly easy to get a handle on for the most part. You can get along quite well for a start by setting it to coin and jewelry, discrimination to the preset triangle, the sensitivity the same and the threshold hum to just audible. That should get you going for most general detecting, coin shooting type hunts. If you're in a very trashy area, I strongly recommend adding the 4x6 shooter coil if you don't have it. The smaller size and the detection pattern moves through trashy areas much more smoothly than the stock 9.5". Also, the small size forces one to hunt more slowly which is nearly always a good thing. Have fun and good luck.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions