tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This made me really scratch my head as to what this person was thinking :icon_scratch: I saw it yesterday in a flea market. I looked the rife over and thought it may still be salvaged, until i saw the barrel had the mag tube that was use for the cord to run though welded to it. It wasn't in bad shape until I saw that. This Winchester and old flyrod were fixed to an ugly old end table into a lamp. The vendor had a price of $79.95 on it. I did pull the hammer back and did function still with the lamp cord running through it. I thought it was a pretty stupid concept myself, as this gun was once in all original and most likely working condition before some bozo got this bright idea. ???

Attachments

• IMG_20160617_144152.jpg
    IMG_20160617_144152.jpg
    948.4 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The parts will bring more the cost of 80 bucks, but what such a waste...d2

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people have no sense.

Maybe something was major wrong with it... hence the lame idea.

OR some rich guy who did not give two craps about the cost / waste.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm with you Tamrock. So much so that I can't even bring myself to click the 'Like' on your post.

...Is too bad that old Winchester wouldn't have had one final shot ready when that idiot started messing with it! Let's just hope that the rifle already had a slightly bent barrel or something.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have an old Savage model 29 pump 22 cal pre-war. I would NEVER turn it into a lamp even though I picked it up for $50.
What a waste of a vintage firearm that probably worked prior to it's conversion.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to shoot one like that at the carnival trying to shoot the little letter "B" out of the paper target.
I guess I'd wonder if the rifle could be salvaged.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The parts will bring more the cost of 80 bucks, but what such a waste...d2
Thats what I was thinking? The wood shoulder stock and pump pull all look pretty nice and original. Those two pieces may do more then cover the cost. Maybe it's worth the risk? It's still there as of an hour ago.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an old Savage model 29 pump 22 cal pre-war. I would NEVER turn it into a lamp even though I picked it up for $50.
What a waste of a vintage firearm that probably worked prior to it's conversion.
I consider that model one of the classic .22's of the early years. My grandpa had an old single shot Stevens that was so shot out the casings would split after you fired it. Still you could hit stuff with it.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
It's still a piece of Americana (and Winchester) history, whether it fires well or not.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Guys relax. those are available at any decent gun show for $75-$125 or so and all in great condition. I had one too and sold it. They really are not rare.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Austin! I'm ashamed of you! ....And you call yourself a Texan! :tongue3:

It's the principle of the thing. There's a certain appeal to those old Winchesters, especially a nice little plinker like a pump .22

It wouldn't surprise me if the person that made that lamp was someone who was in favor of gun control and/or eliminating privately owned guns altogether.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree, what a waste. I had one that I gave my grandson. They are really great shooting guns, and modern arms, in my opinion are not as well made as those old ones. Looks like they have removed the firing pin and possibly drilled it out to run the wire up the barrel. Really stupid in my humble opinion.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that is the problem living in a free country, people can do whatever they want with what they own

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is the problem living in a free country, people can do whatever they want with what they own

Yes! brilliant decisions and dumb decisions we are entitled to both and everyone in between.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys relax. those are available at any decent gun show for $75-$125 or so and all in great condition. I had one too and sold it. They really are not rare.
I can't figure gun prices out. You see something in a pawn shop for $800. and your gun buddies say aw that's way to much and is it all original. Then you check the same gun online and they run between $1100. to $1300. How does one really assess the price of firearms these days :dontknow:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
A lot of times, prices are higher online due to shipping/insurance costs. When in a retail outlet, the shipping costs are spread over many different items.

Also, if enough people online start raising their prices and people keep buying from them, then before long everyone will be raising their prices....except for maybe the retail shops that still have to compete with other retail shops. At least that's what appears happened with eBay.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey tamrock!! I have one exactly like it and it still shoots quite well!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmm, I can understand hanging a lampshade over a barrel and trying to tiptoe a new acquisition into the house past prying ,budget minded eyes....but not removing function from an arm to do it.
Ah well,to each there own.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread