Leaving to detect Russia and Armenia, wish me luck!

jagchaser

Apr 9, 2015
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx 3030, XP Deus, Gold Bug 2, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im headed to Taganrog bay on the Azov Sea, and will get to go to a few places on the Mius Front up by Matveev Kurgan. Then we are going to Novorossiysk down on the eastern side of the Black Sea for a week. After that we are going to Armenia for a week. My wives grandmother was born in Khndzoresk, a cave village that dates back to 700bc, but has been abandon since the 60's. Her relatives are going to take us to their old cave.

Im taking my ctx 3030 in my checked luggage and my deus in my carry on as a backup, just in case my checked luggage doesn't make it. Ive been practicing on some 1500-1600 hammered silver and copper russian coins and I have the machines tuned up and ready! Here are a few quick historical notes for those who don't recognize the names of the places.

Taganrog:
"Ancient history
The excavations conducted by the German Archaeological Institute (Deutsches Archäologisches Institut) led by Ortwin Dally and Don Archaeological Society, brought to conclusion that there was a Greek settlement in the place of the modern-day Taganrog, founded in the late 7th century BC.[1]

It played an important role in the course of the early Greek colonization of the Black Sea region, and was founded probably soon after Berezan and Histria, it is anyway much older than the first settlements and colonies in the Cimmerian Bosporus (Strait of Kerch) or Tanais that were founded between 580 and 60 BC.

According to scientists, the name of the settlement might be Emporion Kremnoi on the coast of Palus Maeotis, mentioned by Herodotus"

Novorossiysk:
"In antiquity, the shores of the Tsemess Bay were the site of Bata, an ancient Greek colony that specialized in the grain trade. It is mentioned in the works of Strabo and Ptolemy, among others. Genoese merchants from the Ghisolfi family maintained a trade outpost there in the Middle Ages. Archaeological investigation of the area is in its infancy, but some interesting items have already been uncovered"

Mius Front:
"The Mius-Front was a heavily fortified defensive line created by the Germans in October 1941 under direction of General Paul Ludwig Ewald von Kleist along the Mius River during World War II.

Soviet troops twice tried to break through this line, first from December 1941 to July 1942 and from February to August 1942.[clarification needed] By the summer of 1943, the Mius-Front consisted of three defense lines with a total depth of 40-50 kilometers. The Soviets finally succeeded in August 1943 during the Donbass Strategic Offensive when troops of the Southern Front broke through near the village of Kuybyshevo"

Khndzoresk:
"The historic cave village, located on the steep slope of a gorge, is comprised of both natural and manmade caves. At the inhabiting community's height, some estimates suggest that population grew to as many as 15,000 people. Since many of the dwellings were carved out over and around each other, a complex system of ropes and ladders were required for people to reach many corners of the community. The village even had two churches and three schools. The cave dwellings were inhabited until as late as the 1950s at which point it is said that Soviet officials deemed the caves unfit and uncivilized, forcing the remaining villagers to leave."

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best of Luck! :occasion14:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would think you may find some fun stuff, if you live through it

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sound like an awesome detecting adventure. Good luck and enjoy all that historical scenery.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I got a good feeling for you. I just think/ feel that you are gonna find somthing great. Good luck wish I was there. I feel gold in your future.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
watch out for u.s. spy drones.
and post your finds :thumbsup:

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wuz going to reply in Armenian but all i know is bad words.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet, and your taking along your own HUMINT Guide as well. You are going to do just fine I get.

Some great hunting as well; I have hunted Russia in carious spots before both MD and Game but never did Armenia. I have a friend who has done Armenia before, both kinds of hunting.

OP
OP
jagchaser

jagchaser

Apr 9, 2015
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet, and your taking along your own HUMINT Guide as well. You are going to do just fine I get.

Some great hunting as well; I have hunted Russia in carious spots before both MD and Game but never did Armenia. I have a friend who has done Armenia before, both kinds of hunting.

Well now you've done it! I may have to talk to some locals and see if I can get an Ibex hunt arranged for winter! Ive hunted all the normal plains game they have in the rostov region, hogs, deer, fox, pheasant ect, but nothing as exotic as Ibex.

OP
OP
jagchaser

jagchaser

Apr 9, 2015
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
13754612_10205497316027261_7975317998594891076_n.jpg

Antique dealer in Yerevan told me this was late bronze age, another dealer told me it was not bronze age, but still 2000 years old. Found at the site of a former fortress up on a big plateau in Armenia.

13726562_10205537092581650_4517353883978017807_n.jpg

Coin found in the same area. One dealer there identified it as a 15th century Georgian coin, but the ones I see from the 17th century look closer. Ground mineralization in southern Armenia was horrid. There were places I couldn't hear my ring under the coil unless it was touching the coil.

Will update my ruskie finds after I get back from there.

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread